Fluctuating guest numbers

Belinda10
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Fluctuating guest numbers

My property is remote and I manage it remotely. My cleaner prepares it for me, however it is self check-in and I rely on the honesty of my guests.

My question relates to fluctuating guest numbers throughout the stay.

EXAMPLE:

Let's say I have a minimum rate of $200 per night for up to 4 guests, then I charge $20 per person  per night after that.

I receive a booking for 8 people for 6 nights, so the total cost is ($200 x 6 nights) plus ($20 x 4 people x 6 nights). So, $1200 plus $480. Total of $1680.

I then receive an email from the person making the booking saying that there will only be 5 people staying for the first 2 nights, 8 people for the next 3 nights and 3 for the last night. They want to know what the cost is.....

It also happens where they've booked for example 5 people for 4 nights and say - "Oh, my parents will join us for 2 of the nights".

MY QUESTION IS: Do you amend according to numbers of guests that they tell you will be there per night ? Or can I just say 8 people 6 nights (first example) and 7 people 4 nights (second example). Max no. of guests for the duration is my preferred option.

I have had a number of these requests recently and while I completely understand their logic, I am becoming fed up with it. I appreciate that they're being honest in the first place, but if I am making up beds... and providing towels, it is the same for me to do this work whether they stay for one night or the whole booking. I appreciate that theoretically there will be less electricity and water used, but at the end of the day, I don't charge a great deal for what I have on offer and find it extremely annoying that guests want to haggle with me over numbers. I also run the risk of the guests who are apparently staying for one or two nights deciding to stay for more. I would never know if this happens as I am not there. Am I wrong in thinking like this?? 

Should I make it clear in my booking that they need to book and pay for the duration, for the maximum number of guests on any given night of the booking?

How does everyone else deal with this? I run two properties and this happens to me quite a bit so it must happen a lot to others.

Thank you so much.

2 Replies 2
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I haven't seen such a thoughtful guest like that before but if had one I'd just do the math myself and send them a special offer with the bottom line. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Belinda10  this used to happen to me a lot when it is a quiet season I charge the guest for the extra guest is 30/day if they are staying 2/3 days I charge that.

When it is a high season and i know the guest paid higher fees and the booking is more than 6 days and the extra guests is coming for 1 or 2 nights I tend to let it go.

I always tell them i charge but sometimes I let it go if I have made a good return on guests booking or if small margins i charge the extra fees.

Sometimes the issue is many guests are not honest about real nbre of guests and will just bring the extra guests and use store linen/ towels and u only found out during cleaning process if u are lucky, as some try to hide it.