Flying Spider Season

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Flying Spider Season

Hi all,

For a moment of levity, I'm considering posting a "Flying Spider Season" notice in my space. 

If you think I'm joking, and Chicago, being urban, doesn't have critters, think again !    The Hilton Hotel has a warning notice to travellers regarding flying spiders, which can inhabit balconies up to 95 stories up !  

More at this link :-

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/its-flying-spider-season-in-chicago/

CHICAGO -- If you're afraid of spiders, the last thing you probably want to hear about is a flying spider. So you may want to think twice about staying at a posh downtown hotel in Chicago after seeing the flyers they've been passing around to guests.

A note to guests at the Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile Suites, shared on Reddit, suggested that "you not open your windows in your suite during this time, to avoid the annual migration of high-rise flying spiders, a Chicago phenomenon."

Though they may make Chicago residents shudder, the flying spiders play an important role in the environment, says Steve Sullivan, the senior curator of urban ecology at the Notebaert Nature Museum.

"Spiders are a wonderful part of our neighborhood ecology. If we didn't have spiders, we'd be neck-deep in flies by early summer," Sullivan said.

16 Replies 16
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

We don't have flying spiders. We have only regular spiders. But they are also "flying", when they are very small. Sometimes the wind catches small spiders along with some of their webs and lands them on nearby properties.

@Dimitar27  Yes, that is really the same as here, except, here, they like high rise buildings 😉