From Dr. Fauci: Wiping down objects a “very, very minor, minor aspect”

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

From Dr. Fauci: Wiping down objects a “very, very minor, minor aspect”

Many of us have known about this for months after reading about it on the CDC website, but here it is, straight from the horse’s mouth (Dr. Tony Fauci):

"We also know that the virus can live on inanimate objects," he continued, explaining that according to the transmissibility and the epidemiology, "that is very likely a very, very minor, minor aspect" of transmissibility. "We can't say it's zero. It certainly is real and is finite, but it's minor." 

Therefore, when it comes to preventative measures, he doesn't emphasize wiping down items. "I think we should spend less time worrying about wiping down a grocery bag than we should about just washing our hands frequently," he said. 

Three “very”s and two “minor”s.

The entire statement can be found here:

https://apple.news/ANhBHCEc_Sfyo69XTm8GUaw

In light of the above, do you think Airbnb should revise it’s cleaning protocols to account for current scientific knowledge about how the virus is transmitted?

23 Replies 23
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Pat271 I believe they should revisit the policy for 2 reasons

1) It is highly likely to be driving irrelevant work

2) They have not even attempted to deal with those hosts who claim they are compliant whilst advertising a property that cannot comply.

@Pat271  Of course they should. But I guess that would be the end of their "partnership" with Lysol.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Anonymous  😂 You, cynical? Nahh...😂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pat271  What needs to be understood is that the reason virus transmission from surfaces is low risk is that there would need to be a specific set of circumstances in order to be infected in that way.

Someone who was infected would have had to sneeze or cough in that surface or into their hand and then touch it. Then you would have to touch it, then touch your face. And there would need to be a sufficient viral load.

You know what precautions you take to keep yourself safe, like washing your hands a lot. But we have no idea if a guest who just left coughed in their hand and then used the light switch or doorknob. So as far as I can see, we should still be sterilizing surfaces.

However, there are other parts of the cleaning protocol which are pointless. For instance that bedding and towels have to be washed in super hot water and then a hot dryer. All scientific data says the virus doesn't remain viable on porous surfaces like cloth for more than 24 hrs. max. So unless hosts are doing back to back bookings and don't have a second set of clean sheets to use, just washing the used ones and putting them right back on the bed, the clean sheets you've had sitting ready to turn the place over wouldn't have any viable virus on them no matter how you washed them.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Pat271, I have to agree with @Sarah977 here. I think to be safe we still need to be vigilant about surfaces because it is one means of transmission. I've made a 70% alcohol-based spray using methylated spirits (do you guys have that in America?) with peppermint and eucalyptus oils to make it smell nice and boost the antimicrobial action. I just spray it on all surfaces frequently and let it air dry. However, I agree that frequent hand washing is still the most important thing we can do. I also agree with Sarah about the bedding policy - I won't use hot water nor my dryer to wash bedding when cold water and UV rays (which, coincidentally, are antibacterial and antiviral) are perfectly adequate, and there is plenty of time between bedding uses.

Just out of interest @Sarah977, are you hosting at the moment? I've decided to snooze my listing now that we've relaxed our state borders.

@Kath9 No, I've had my calendar blocked since my last guest left in early March. I wouldn't have to come in contact with a guest if they just used their room/bath, as it has a separate entrance. But they share my kitchen with me, and it wouldn't be practical for a guest to stay here with no kitchen access. 

Mexico has the third highest infections of any country and the highest death rate. And it's not getting any better.

Trudeau just cancelled all flights to and from Mexico and the Carribean. Canada really wants people to stop travelling on vacation.

No way I can share my house, sadly. I miss hosting and my guests.

Oh @Sarah977 , I thought that might be the case. I had no idea that Mexico was so badly off! All we seem to hear about (other than Australia) is the US and Europe. I'm really sorry to hear that. We're in a much better position here, but I'm still not comfortable about having people in my home sharing everything (bathroom, toilet, kitchen) while there are still outbreaks. I also don't really want to have to wear a mask in my own home.

Once all this is over, I'm still planning on coming to visit you!

@Kath9 I would so love you to come visit!

Almost no one has been in my house since March. I visit with neighbors outside, occasionally a friend comes over and we sit at the outdoor table on the terrace. There's a gal I found to clean for me a couple months ago, she comes once every 2 weeks for 4 hours, but all my doors and windows stay open, as it's warm during the day, and I work on my upholstery projects out in my shop while she's cleaning. Then I go around and sterilize all the high touch surfaces, even though she's pretty much had her hands in soap and water most if the time.

@Kath9  I had never heard the term "methylated spirits" before I lived in Australia (it's called denatured alcohol in the US). My first night shift in Melbourne, my colleague and I were starting to clean the bar after closing time when he quietly asked me to bring him some "meths."  Let's just say, I thought he meant something very different 

@Anonymoushaha! I had heard that "methylated spirits", or "metho" as we like to call it, is not available in the US. It's useful stuff! GREAT for cleaning windows!

@Kath9 I use regular 70% rubbing alcohol as a disinfectant. As far as I can tell, it's more or less the same as what you call metho.

@Anonymous , @Kath9 

Meths, metho, methylated spirits = all the same cleaning product.👍🏼

Noting: 🙌🏼 Completely unrelated to “Meth” lab or methamphetamine or methadone. 👍🏼

Another regional word that has a local meaning when I worked in a pub in England:

A local came rushing to the bar near closing time,  stating: “The Durex machine had “run out”!!” 😱😱😱

I looked at him wondering why there was a sticky tape, cello tape machine in the toilet???🤔😳

LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Pat271 , My day job is an instrument tech in a chemistry department and I have PHD's that chimed in on this saying what Fauchi is now saying months ago, the virus doesnt like soft surfaces or water and its survival on non living things isnt long.    What they do (or dont ) is even more important than what they say, they dont double mask, most dont mask when they are in their offices, they dont have wipes with them cleaning everything before they touch but they do mask and keep distant from others when not in their offices.  They show a healthy respect for the virus but not a noticeable fear of it, (that said, many of the powders and ooozes they work with on a daily basis are deadly!).   

Another note for those who spray everything crazy like, Our university has been diligent spraying door knobs and surfaces with Lysol, 70% Alcohol and other antibac's and it is destroying finishes slowly but surely, the Decovidization of the campus once this is over will be expensive and time consuming but some of the etched surfaces will remain to remind us of these days for decades.   Stay well, JR

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Happened to find this disinfectant at Home Depot. Under $10 a gallon. Says its hospital grade but less chemical smell that window cleaner. It really doesn't take long to go around and spray all the surfaces, knobs, remotes, switches etc. 

I like Dr Fauci, but I also like a level of redundancy for a lot of surfaces, and right now could help reduce exposure to more managable viral load. He is probably right, though, wiping down surfaces isn't going to help when there is a bar packed full of drunks dancing on the dance floor.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Theochem-Laboratories-In-Cide-Ready-to-Use-Disinfectant-Gallon-500158/31...

Also disinfects bacteria.