Guest Cancelled AFTER check in time

Ashley58
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Guest Cancelled AFTER check in time

My check in time is usually 5 pm but since I am flexible I allow people to come later or earlier. My guests first told me they would be arriving around 10 p.m. Then the day of the reservation told me they would be getting in around 3 a.m. I said this was fine and stayed up until then waiting for them to arrive. I got a text at 3:30 saying that "it wasn't going to work out" and they were getting a motel. I did not cancel the reservation on my end because I expected them to do so, but they did not cancel and they send me a request for $$$$ later. I have not paid it yet because I want to tell them that I don't want to pay it since they cancelled so late and didn't even actually cancel it officially. I could of had other guests in that spot plus I stayed up to 3 a.m. Because I was trying to be nice!!!! Need some input!!!
3 Replies 3
Mario94
Level 1
New York, NY

Your not responsible for canceling - they are. It's that simple. Airbnb takes care of the money that it issues and it's a good system. They rented your place and didn't use it. Not your fault.
Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

Nothing to do. They can request, but you do not need to accept. I wouldn't in this case. It was their choice.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ashley58 Don't cancel for them and don't refund them *anything*. They're trying to take advantage of you. Simply let the original terms of the booking play out. The worst that can happen is that they choose to not cancel and pay the full amount, and then leave you a bad review. If that happens, contact AirBnB to explain the situation and AirBnB will remove the bad review. In that (remote) case, here's how to contact AirBnB:  Contact Airbnb