Guest Inconsistencies...cause for concern?

Meredith7
Level 2
D.C., DC

Guest Inconsistencies...cause for concern?

I am a super host of 4 years. I left my home tonight to stay with a friend because I felt unsafe for the first time ever while hosting. 

A male guest reported to me that he was visiting the USA for the first time, yet his profile says he is from Seattle. 

He told me he had military experience. 

He also told me he was going to check out late and leave his bags (several large heavy bags because his flight was at 7 PM - too many bags for one solo traveler). I told him a late check out wasn’t possible and he insisted. He then said he wasn’t flying but actually taking a bus. 

So so many inconsistencies with his story that I am worried. 

Im waiting on him to check out before I call Air BnB but what should I do afterwards? 

28 Replies 28
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Meredith7 

Hi,

Hope you are well.

It’s really annoying when things like this happen and as a host it definitely throws you. Under no circumstance should you ever have the need to feel uncomfortable in your own home regardless on whether you are hosting or not.  I have had guests who made me feel this way and definitely avoided my home during their stay-  preferring to stay anywhere else. It’s not a nice feeling.

However as mentioned above there are several reasons as to how the events may have occurred. For example he could have gotten a new job etc and it really is his first time in the USA and due to the move he has so many stuff. Several people update their profile beforehand or not at all... but also  there is the most likely point that he could be simply lying. 

Regardless it seems as if you are not keen on hosting this guest again and I would suggest you block him. To block you need to go to the message trail you shared with him within the Airbnb site but via google chrome. Press on the flag icon on his one of messages and go through the process of reporting him accordingly. The late stage will ask if you would like to block him and select yes. No further messages/ reservations can be shared between either party. 

Good luck to you and stay safe. 

Yadira 🙂

Thanks @Yadira22  - but this isn't showing up as an option for me. I see the flag but it only asks if they scammed me (asked for money outside air bnb) or communicated outside Air BnB or "something else" which just offers a spot for me to provide Air BnB feedback. Can anyone tell me how I can block this user? 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Check which ever option that is most relevant and explain the situation. You can even select inappropriate behaviour etc and state no inappropriate behaviour but... (explain situation). After this it will ask you if you would like to block them and select yes. But as mentioned above this only work on google chrome and desktop! Thanks 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Meredith7 

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience.

Good on you for your detective work.

Have you looked up both sets of names up online?

Maybe he was using someone else's bags?

Can you change your lockbox access code?
Assuming it has one?

It may be an idea to use the digits of each guests reservation code so it's different for each one.

Very unpleasant he has checked if you have a lock on your bedroom door.

No harm in making a call to your local police so an alert is on his file.

Please for future guests write a review and a thumbs down so other Hosts know what he is like.

It's my understanding if he gets thumbs down then it's harder to IB.

Take care & put it down to a random guest and not the usual good one's you have had the last 3 years.

All the best

Debra282
Level 2
Kensington, MD

Thank you for your very detailed update.  I would have done the exact same thing...including the insightful detective work.  He is staying in your home--after all.  Really feel that AirBnb should have had your back on this one.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Meredith7 ABB is very honest in this regard

- they won't say how a guest is "verified"

- profiles can say ANYTHING (*remember that time @Emilia42 changed her name?)

So, for my listing I require two layers:

the guest must have a full verified profile with ABB

THEN, the guest must tell me about themselves and any guests they're bringing with them:

Name, address, email, cell phone... also the main guest must send me their Govt ID, I will also check extra IDs if it seems necessary.

IF what they tell me doesn't line up with their profile then I have no problem calling ABB and getting them to cancel a guest.

ABB has decided that hosts are on a strictly need to know basis about guest info and I've decided I disagree. Hosts can take charge of this, but it does take extra steps. Since guests are sharing our property with us, I've decided that the extra steps are worth it to me.

Good luck @Meredith7 

@Kelly149 I read your post and then went into my profile to change me name to "Changed my name again!" I was going to take another picture to post here. But I clicked save to many times and Airbnb locked me out and I was unable to change it back! So I just had to snooze my listings for a few hours until the system would let me change my name back to Emilia. It was too embarrassing. So I'm NOT changing my name again!

Oh @Emilia42 

I’m sorry!!

Thats 🤣🤣🤣

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I have one of these right now, but I will not see him/her/it. Joined 2015.  Normal profile...let's call the "thing" Mike. Reservation for 2.

5-6 positive reviews, 5 stars, but they are for different people- Ken, John, Stella, Anna and Ahmed. Nothing for "Mike" there. I will not be here, they will use the self check-in and check-out. Revervation is IB. Following the ABB rules, there is no serious reason to cancel the reservation.

@Dimitar27  Do let us know how "Mike" aka Ken, John, Stella, Anna and Ahmed works out.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Meredith7  Please start leaving reviews for guests you would not want to host again, rather than shying away from not reviewing someone for whom you would feel the need to leave a negative review. You might have avoided this guest if his lack of reviews, if we are to believe Airbnb telling you that he has had other stays altho he has no reviews, was the result of other hosts declining to leave a negative review. Leaving a negative review for an unacceptable guest isn't "mean", it's just honest and helps other hosts to decide whether to accept a reservation.

I would, if I didn't feel this was a safety concern for me at this time. 

@Meredith7  You really fear this guest would come back and hassle you, harm you or do something to your place? Of course, your safety is the paramount concern, but even hosts who've had actual threats from guests to do such things, it just turns out to be hot air.

I'd rather not wait around to find out.