Guest asking for a full refund after having already stayed in apartment

Marlowe0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Guest asking for a full refund after having already stayed in apartment

Hi there!

So I had a guest staying in my apartment for 1 night of his 5 night stay. He called me later in the evening at around 9pm on Day 2 of his stay saying he had to move out. His reasons were that my apartment was too loud and the sound of the streetcars kept him up all night (my apartment is at the back of the building and is not streetfacing, I have never had this complaint before), and that my apartment was too bright and lacked privacy (the photos on my airbnb listing clearly show which rooms have curtains0, and then he said my bathroom's cleanliness wasn't up to par and that I should have my place professionally cleaned. For cleanliness I've averaged 5 stars...I honestly think he's just a very difficult person to please. He's now asking for a full refund, and has put it down as my listing being inaccurate. I would like to know whether I have to wait the full 72 hours before airbnb can get involved. I find him a little intimidating and am worried that if I deny his request he'll keep messaging me about getting the full refund. I feel like I was extremely accommodating to this guest, as I even met him about half an hour away from my apartment while he was having a meeting to drop off the keys as well as checking up on him at about 2pm on Day 2 of his stay. Please advise! 

5 Replies 5
Olena1
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Give guy the earplugs... Hope it will helps..

He stayed in the apts, so he owes you for that night plus the cleaning fee, as well as any nights that you cannot rent the place with such a last minute cancellation. Plus a booking fee for your trouble to re rent it.

Actually , he isn't due any refund....many people lie about why they have to move or cancel a reservation. I hate to say that, but after 3 years of condo rentals in Maui, the top lie is that they are coming for a honeymoon. I have never heard of so many engagements being broken last minute before honeymoons. I don't believe there was a wedding and some single men even forget they lied to me about it! 

I guess lots of people won't rent to single men?

Anyway, cleaning people do miss things occasionally, or like you said, there are people who will always find SOMETHING wrong, if they are trying to bully you into giving them a refund. 

JUST stay STRICT on your policies, don't ENGAGE with the customer beyond your final statement, that the apt is as PICTURED, he left early, that's his right to leave

Its your right to not issue refunds after someone checks in. If he files a resolution claim, you can deny it and then refer it into the airbnb center to deal with it.

Fiona2
Level 7
Pasadena, CA

@Marlowe0, you don't want to wait the 72 hours to get Airbnb involved, then they won't have had any input from you and will make a decision based on only feedback from the guest. I would respond denying the request - that he waited until 9pm the second night to tell you he was moving out because the first night was noisy meant he tied up the listing for that day too.

If he hasn't actually cancelled then he isn't due any refund but you don't want an unhappy, bitter person in there. Personally I would tell him 1) if he stays you will give him some earplugs or put in a white noise machine even though he is the only person who has expressed a problem. And I'd get specific complaints about the bathroom cleanliness and address them today. 2) if he cancels and you rebook the space you will refund him 50% (or whatever you feel is fair) of the unused days but zero for the first two days.

Check your refund/cancellation setting. Mine is "Moderate" and this information is given to guests.  As a single women renting a room, if someone is intimidating or harassing me after I have exhausted all avenues with Airbnb I would not hesitate to file a complaint with local authorities either.  It may sound extreme, but my safety is my priority. Ang

Jonathan73
Level 2
Miami, FL

In my experience in life, and short term rentals.....if someone is a bit too threatening or otherwise is angry.  Just take the first night, and refund the rest.  He won't destroy your home, leave bad reviews, or harrass you for the next 3-4 months via credit card disputes, AirBNB appeals etc etc.

Ensuring peace and tranquility is better than 4 nights rent!  As much as you may dislike dealing with this specific guests, it's such an outlier.  Give him what he wants (but keep one night)...you'll thank me for it later. 🙂