Guest booking for someone else.

Renee78
Level 2
Alpharetta, GA

Guest booking for someone else.

I know a host who has a couple of guests using their profiles to book on behalf of someone else--a husband and a son.  I don't like that.  I feel if you are not the guest, you should not be booking for someone else.  It is confusing and raises a red flag.   In one case, I asked the guest to register and create a profile on Airbnb if he wants to stay in my place.  That is my rule.  Has anyone experienced such issue?

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Renee78 It does happen, and you did the right thing by asking the guest to create their own profile: third-party bookings are against Airbnb's terms of service. See https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member for details.

The exception would be if it's a business stay and someone has specifically set up as a third-party booker for their team. See https://www.airbnb.ca/third-party-booking for details.

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

A few weeks before their stay I had a guest reveal that he was making a third party reservation. I contacted airbnb support and they stood up for my rights as a host. The reservation was cancelled without penalty. 

Laurence615
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

the guest that showed up was the 'son ' of the guy on the profile.. really sweet and polite, apologies that his dad didn't come... 

I  told airnbnb right away, they told me that if I was ok with it, to go for it!

It wasn't a good idea!

the 'son' checked in with a friend or two? broke the bed , and the guest house was smiling really bad of canabis!

when they left, we talk to Airbnb that told me that they dont advice a third party reservation! I'm glad I asked before.. it was confusing to have two different answers.

any way we start the process with resolution center.. lets see how it will go.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb does not recommend accepting 3rd party reservations. Aside from being a red flag for possible fraud, if you need to communicate with the actual person staying or need to collect for damages it becomes a problem. Sometimes they're trying to hide the fact that the actual person wanting to stay has negative reviews.

I've had a couple of 3rd party reservations. Both times I told them to have the actual person staying make the reservation. One of the people wanting to stay had one bad review.