Guest demand full refund one day after checking in

Hamza55
Level 2
Islamabad, Pakistan

Guest demand full refund one day after checking in

Hello all,

I'm new to hosting, so want an advice from the community. My guest (booked for 3 nights) checked in and didn't mention something about cleaning. Next morning, he took pictures of a few spots which were serviced but didn't meet his expectations I guess. Although there were a few 'not so clean' hidden spots as well which were over-looked during the cleaning. Again, he didn't mentioend anything and left the place and then sent me photos mentioning that he'd file a case. Now he has asked for a full refund which I believe is unfair. But he has photos and I'm not sure what should I do and I want to avoid his negative review as well.

Regards,

14 Replies 14
David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Hamza55 

You are just starting out on your hosting  journey,  but what you need to make a priority is cleaning;  it’s something that guests are going to be judging you on. 

Basically you can’t afford to miss any ‘spots’. Literally you will not make any money & Airbnb will remove you from the platform if numerous guests complain. As a new host you need to make a huge effort. Check everything and make it perfect for each and every guest.

If this guest has evidence and it’s honest?! YOU will know if is a scam or genuine.

And if he checked out after 1 night,  then he is due a 2 night refund,  BUT Airbnb may side with the guest and give full refund. Depends on his ‘evidence.’

Nothing you can do. I would leave a response if he leaves a negative review regarding cleaning.

dont  get personal. This is for future guests to read, not this guest. He’ll likely never come back or look at your listing again.

’Sorry for these issues. We have just started hosting,  but have taken immediate  steps to ensure all our listings are in immaculate  condition from now on.’

Good luck.

Hi David,

Thanks for the amazing advice and I'll now definitely look after the cleaning part myself and will ensure it's top notch.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Hamza55   The guest is almost sure to give you a bad review whether or not you refund any money, it depends on exactly what 'spots' and how much stuff was over looked.  Cleaning is one of the few things that hosts have fully under their control, and although you may get jerks once in a while who are looking for something to complain about, you should try hard to keep the place very clean from here on out.

Got it man, thanks !

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Hamza55 

Sorry this happened to you.

Luck may be against you. As a new host, Scammers are very happy to try and manipulate you.

Don't play their game. Be polite, be firm. Let whatever review come and don't become defensive.

If Airbnb harrasses you, play innocent and in control.

1. Guest ordered the steak, guest ate the steak so guest must pay for the steak.

2. Guest did not complain, nor allow you to mitigate the guest's concern

3. Guest dirtied the room for the pictures. 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for showing me this side of the guests as well which I never thought of. And nice idea of playing innocent which can save me becasue sometimes, they do and I'm not really sure if he did that himself of not as I wasn't present at the spot!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Hamza55 

Your guest should have given you the opportunity to rectify the issue and in not doing so is in breach of the airbnb guest refund policy.

you must have used reasonable efforts to try to remedy the circumstances of the Travel Issue with the Host prior to making a claim for a Travel Issue.

Do not give any refund and fight it with customer service.

https://www.airbnb.ie/terms/guest_refund_policy

@Jeff158  yes, this is the way when you have 100 of reviews and 1 bad review will not hurt your rating ... but he has just 1 review for 1 listing. Maybe it would be the best to appologize and refund the guest as @David6  suggested:

"Sorry for these issues. We have just started hosting, but have taken immediate steps to ensure all our listings are in immaculate condition from now on.’

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for guiding me about this as I wasn't really aware of that. Now, I'll have something to back with.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Hamza55 

he didn't mentioend anything and left the place and then sent me photos mentioning that he'd file a case. Now he has asked for a full refund

I'd be suspicious and I'd tell Airbnb Customer Services that your guest never gave you the opportunity to see the problem yourself, nor the opportunity to correct it - if it did exist. I also think that the threat of filing a case is extortion with the intent of forcing a full refund. Point this out to Airbnb, they don't allow extortion.

I wouldn't offer any refund and I'd stand my ground against any ensuing 'case'.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the amazing advice and I'll now try to raise this point to Airbnb when they ask or do you suggest that I should do it proactively?

Hamza55
Level 2
Islamabad, Pakistan

@Jeff158 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Jeff158 @Paul154  Hi guys ! thanks for guiding me earlier about my issue. Currently , I'm dealing with the case with Airbnb support. Meanwhile, the guest has left me a review which I can't see unless I leave a review to him myself. I'd definitely be responding to his review as guided by you people. But My question is : Should I leave him a review or not before it expires (in 2 days). If yes, what should I write there as I've no clue what he has left for me.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Hamza55 

as far as I know, you should review him to be able to respond to his review.

I am not sure how to write a review... I also struggle with delicate reviews. @Sarah977 is good at it

@Sarah977 can you plz help me with this?