Guest has open disregard for my property

Ben29
Level 2
Miamisburg, OH

Guest has open disregard for my property

I have a guest who slams my door with such force that it is breaking the handle. That's because he runs outside to chainsmoke about two dozen times per day. He never bothered to verify whether he could smoke before booking. Well he booked three months with me, is staying on the second floor, so he's zipping up and down the stairs, slamming the back door each time. Of course I've spoken with him but he continues to do this anyway, and told me the wind did it, when the wind was blowing in the exact opposite way.

My main concern is that there are three people who need to access this entry, and he has already broken the lock by slamming it so brutally before. When that happened he took apart the knob and unsuccessfully tried to put it back together, until I arrived and was able to fix it myself. It's a valid concern because he is damaging my property and making it difficult potentially for people to acces the house. 

This isn't the only problem I have with him. He also is careless in general, splashing water out of the shower and all over the bathroom, giving me messes to clean up, and has set off the fire alarm by leaving his meals on the stove on high heat til they make a big charred mess on the stovetop, again, not even having the courtesty to clean this up himself very well. This was in the middle of the night.

Overall I'm a very laid back host and I don't even mind cleaning up after him a little, even though he does not work and only hangs out all day. My only concern is what damage he could do to my property, especially my door lock. 

He has about five weeks left to stay with me, barely speaks a word of English, and if you can't tell by now, it's a headache. I'd rather not cancel the reservation unless absolutely necessary, but if anyone has advice on how I can cancel it effectively, maybe I will.

5 Replies 5
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

I would remind them that he's responsible for all damages, and that you will file a claim with Airbnb against the security deposit if he causes any more damage.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ben29

Great advice by @Ed-and-Hugh0. I personally would also advise that even if you approach your guest directly by talking to him, make sure that you verify these points on the ABB message thread to have the problem as proof in case you really have to involve ABB later on by filing a claim.

Another 5 weeks... OMG, that can be hell.

Your house, your rules! This person is staying in your private home for a friendlier price than he would probably have to pay somewhere else. That does not give him the right to run over you.

On another note, I notice that you have absolutely no house rules on your listing?

I'd tighten things up by setting down some clear points in decisive language:

About smoking etc. on the property/house;

What areas are not shared;

What do you expect guests to do re. cleaning up after themselves;

How about noise (running up and down stairs, music etc.);

Shoes in house?

Any other points?

If you make a complaint via ABB and don't have proper house rules in place, your position will not be as strong.

And then make a copy of those rules for the guest room!

If your guest ignores you because his English isn't that good apparently, there's a great tool in Google translate!

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the thoughtful advice.

Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@Ben29

I started hosting a year ago. 

Before putting my listing up, I went through the 'old' Airbnb Groups, and read many, many posts. I also carefully studied the House Rules of other, experienced and successful hosts. 

The effort paid off richly. Having a good set of House Rules gives you a great tool to run your Airbnb listing properly. It sets clear boundaries to the people who need them. 

I have been traveling for work and pleasure for many years now. I have learnt that protecting my listing within reason is really not only about protecting my selfish interest and my investment. It is also very much about being able to maintain the listing in its promised form and shape, so that your next guests can enjoy the housing they booked and paid for. One disruptive guest should not be allowed to damage your property to the detriment of the others. 

Danny

@Danny9 Excellent advice. I'll be sure to follow your suggestions. Thank you.