Guest reported my puppy as a dangerous animal and now my account has been suspended

Genesis16
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Guest reported my puppy as a dangerous animal and now my account has been suspended

Guest reported my puppy as a dangerous animal and now my account has been suspended. This lady booked for 15 days, she came with her poodle and 2 cats and she knew we had a dog. The dog is 7 months and 50lbs, he is in training and gets really excited but he wouldn't hurt anything or anyone. He rarely comes out of his crate because he's under heartworm(not contagious) treatment and the doctor said he needed to remain calm and not exercise at all. Before the treatment he has roamed around our 5 cats and my 7 and 3 year old little brothers and has never attempted to hurt anyone. Now this lady reported him last night at 2am, stating that the dog had injured her, but she's a nurse and works night shifts, she was at work when she filed the complaint and I doubt anything happened before because I'm always home and he doesn't roam around the house without my supervision. If he's roaming around the house he's next to me, and I have repeatedly asked her if she's bothered by the dog at all because it was really obvious she didn't want my dog anywhere around her poodle, to what she answered it was fine. The other thing is, how come the dog injured her and we didn't hear anything, nor she said anything about it and still was able to go to work no problem? What to do? She has 5 days left and now I feel really uncomfortable.

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Genesis16I can't see your listings due to your suspension, but I see lots of mention of cats in your profile but none of a dog. Do you clearly address that in your listings? 

I would address the complaint with the guest directly, and ask them what happened and what the problem is, explaining that you have been suspended due to her report. Maybe she doesn't realize how much of an impact her report had. I think you deserve an explanation. If you're not able to speak with her in person, do it on Airbnb messenger so her responses are recorded. I would start by asking if she's okay (due to her alleged injuries from the dog). 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Genesis16 a dog that large can injure someone unintionally if it jumps on them, for example by scratching them. If you doubt anything happened but don't know for sure that means you weren't supervising very closely and I would start as @Alexandra316 suggests with concern for the guest. Your listing is at serious risk and if I were in your shoes that would be my main concern, rather than discomfort about the next five days. I would ask her what happened and how you can best make it right, and make every attempt to accommodate whatever her preference is. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Genesis16  It seems odd that she  has made a complaint significant enough that airbnb suspended the account and has said nothing to you as the host.  I agree w/what others have said, that you should speak to her and find out what she says happens, what she wants going forward, and let her know that your account has been suspended.

I would also think long and hard about hosting people with pets and about how you can improve the system to keep your own pets safe in their interactions with guests.

Sandra1764
Level 2
Holland, MI

Contact Airbnb support and the resolution center.  They helped me with a woman who was told that since it was spring and this is a rural property, she needed to be careful about parking or driving through mud.  She insisted that I pay for her tow truck when she passed through dry land to park in mud.  Airbnb support was extremely helpful.  Also If this woman thought that your dog was dangerous I would think that she would want to be let out of her stay with you, as much as you want to have her leave.