Guest requests me to verify their address

Josh126
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Guest requests me to verify their address

I have had a couple of instances recently where guests of mine who are emigrating to my country want me to verify them as living at my address so that they can obtain bank accounts, tax numbers etc.

I'm not particularly comfortable with this as they are only there for a short time, but also don't want to be unhelpful.

Does anybody know if there are any rules/expectations around this matter?

Cheers,

Josh

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Josh126

Don't do it, tell them it voids airbnb's host insurance or use some other excuse.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Jeff158, I'm going to second @Josh126

You don't want to get involved in this.

Best,

Kim
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They can print off their ABB confirmation.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Josh126 You are not obligated in any way to do this for your guest. 

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Josh126, I woold never do it. In France, I could suffer consequences for such a confirmation and you should check your laws, if you would not be in for much more than you think. If they default on their bank account or payment obligations for a phone contract or others, you could wake up to find a notary trying to claim your tv as it’s still that guest’s address a year later. Or you could have law enforcement wake up later guests, hunting for the immigrant having disappeared after the demand to stay was refused. You may even face persecution if you helped establish a condition of the demand, which was false, when you confirmed it.