Guest reviews & verification

Juli-and-Brian0
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

Guest reviews & verification

After over a year of hosting we have had our fair share of experiences. One of the more recent brought to my attention a flaw in the system that I would like to bring up for discussion. 

When booking, only the primary travelor is required to verify, have a review available or even be noted on the booking request. The second or more persons in the booking are not necessarily mentioned unless the travelor happens to note it in their message. 

We had a not so great experience and the other travelor not registered was more of the concern than the person who actually did the booking. We had no information or way to see if this person had any negative past experience nor do we have a way to alert any future hosts of this persons history with us. Our review was solely on the booking travelor which isn't exactly fair to that person either.

I would like to see all parties of age be required to be shown on the booking.

16 Replies 16
Maria-Celina0
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi there!

In the building where I reside, ALL guests or members of a party need to identify themselves and provide copy of their ID or Passports. It is for our and theirs own security. We are very strict over this matter.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

@Juli-and-Brian0,

In my humble opinion "Our review was solely on the booking travelor which isn't exactly fair to that person either." is not a problem...as the people the booking guest brings with them are their liability.

That guest made the reservation. If they bring people along that break rules - or are in any way "bad" guests - that is the sole responsibility of the booking guest. Therefore the review *is* fair to the booking guest.

It will either teach them:

1. Don't travel with that person anymore... or
  2. Make that other person book the trip next time - so they get the bad review.

I know you don't want to be unfair, but it is the same thing as a loud guest in the hotel room next to me. It is the responsibility of the guest that booked the room to ensure all rules are being adhered to...and the people that stay with them in that room are being responsible.

Don't get me wrong, both guests in this case were at fault and deserving of the poor review. My main concern here is that the other person basically has no negative marks. They are free to travel as a silent companion or get their own account without any review. I guess I meant it wasn't fair the other person in this case did not get the review also. 

I do see the point that this is no different than booking a hotel, not all parties are on there. I do think it would be a wise move to require all travelers to be registered for the stay. Similar to an airline, I can book my wifes ticket but she still has to bring ID and be recognized.

@Juli-and-Brian0, you are obviously very kind and thoughtful people to worry about the bad effect a poor review would have on the booking travelor.

It is too bad the booking travelor did not have the same regard for you when they brought along their boorish friend.

The person who books a listing is responsible for the behavior of the people they bring.

If the person who books the listing brings along people who cause trouble, then the person who books the listing is not the kind of person you want to stay with you.

It is completely fair.

If they want to protest their bad review, they can post a response. Hopefully in that response they can promise the next host that they won't bring along their goofy friend.

well, yes, you can respont to their review, but still, you cant do anything if they gave you less stars, which is more importnat then the review 😞

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Juli-and-Brian0 I have on my listing the offer that I will give a 5% discount if every adult guest has a verified profile listed in the reservation. Two reasons, then I can see everyone's past reviews & then everyone receives the review good or bad that I give them.

Exactly no one has ever taken me up on the offer

Hi

I am new to hosting.

We have had 3 groups staying at our property so far.

I am having difficulty getting a review of their experience.

Only one guest has responded, and that was via an email in my Inbox.

I truely want the public to see their experiences / feedback.

Where should the guests respond on your web site to capture their experiences so the information is public.

Thanks in anticipation

Roger Jones - Peregian Beach

@Roger158, the place for your guests to write their reviews is on the AirBnB web site or in the AirBnB app.

The reviews guests write there (and their Star Ratings) will go onto your profile and your listing.

Note that guests (and hosts) can only write reviews in the 14 days after a stay is complete.

If your guests log into their AirBnB account in the app or on the web site after their stay (but before 14 days is over), they will see a Notification that they should write a review of their stay.

Are you leaving them a review?

Usually they should get an email notification to leave a review as well as in the app.

Mathew

Thanks

Do you have the Web link so I can send it to them

Thanks Roger

@Roger158, I think if they just go to https://www.airbnb.com and log in they will see a notification to write a review.

To go direcly to the review area of their profile, they can go to 

https://www.airbnb.com/users/reviews

and choose the "Reviews By You" tab.

At the top of that is an area labelled "Reviews to Write" where it will tell the guest if they have any reviews they need to write, 

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

I recently had a situation in which 4 guests stayed and were booked under one (new) traveller. They left the place a mess and when I messaged the booker, he blamed it on his friend and took no responsibility and even claimed not to have noticed! Excuse me?
He got a bad review and a thumbs down and I have zero guilt about it.
When you book a place and bring others along, YOU are responsible for their behaviour. If they leave a mess, you either make them clean it up or, if they can't or won't, then you clean it up yourself. 
There is no way I will ever feel sorry for a guest who brings along losers and then won't be responsible for them. It's simply the price you pay if you do.

@Michelle-and-Ray0, honestly, being the kind of person who would blame it on his friend and take no responsibility should earn him a thumbs down just for lack of character.

"Really it was a total mess? I didn't notice."

And a liar.

You are doing the Universe a favor by giving him a bad rating.

On a facebook group, I had someone tell me I was a terrible person for "completely ruining his reputation over a little mess". After all, "he didn't damage anything".  Seriously? It required an extra hour of cleaning (it's a tiny place), when at most, it takes only 45 minutes to turn over from start to finish if it's a "real mess". 
Nope. Sorry, I'm not a terrible person and the only person who trashed his "reputation" is himself.