Guest staying in home all day

Phil---Liz0
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

Guest staying in home all day

I have a query, as we are a Bed and Breakfast should guests stay home all day? We have 2 rooms for guests and one guest bathroom that is cleaned everyday I find it difficult when guests stay at home and I have to leave the cleaning in hope that they will go out, as sometimes I clean and then they decide to have a shower or use the bathroom, I feel bad that the new guests are not getting the clean bathroom when they arrive.

20 Replies 20

I do have a squeegy in the bathroom but usually it stays up against the wall in the shower. In all the years that I have had guests there has been only 2 people who have used it. I donot expect my guests to clean the bathroom, as they are a guest, I don't even let my partner clean it, I did once or twice when I was unable because of major surgery and I had to point out that he hadn't shined up the crome I am very fussy with the bathroom and would rather do it myself. But a good idea is to let the guests know that the bathroom is about to be cleaned and would they mind using the communal toilet down stairs. I guess that I have been too soft, but most guests don't stay home all day when on holiday. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Phil---Liz0

It's the same for me. It's a very rare guest that uses the squeegees, which are in every bathroom, but then again, I dont' tell them to. So, when a guest does make the effort, I'm always really impressed!

No guest, not matter how tidy they are, are going to clean the bathrooms to a standard I'd be satisfied with, but it does really help when you have clean and tidy ones as there's less cleaning to do and it needs to be done less often.

Even if you are cleaning the bathrooms everyday, and I do try to, it makes a difference if you have clean guests because then you aren't constantly worried that they will leave a disgusting mess behind. It's not always possible to go right in after every guest uses a shared bathroom.

Huma, you sound like me I tend to be really fussy about the bathrooms as I for one wouldn't like to get in a shower that was dirty, and if there was a squeegy I would definately use it so that the next person would have a reasonable surface. I am lucky that my showers have tiles and no glass at all as I know how hard that is to keep clean. But as for guests cleaning, I would not feel comfortable in expecting them to clean as they are the guests.  

HannahyMartín0
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

Hello,

I stayed in a condo months back as a guest, the owners lived in a condo near by. The unit I was staying in had two bedrooms, mine had a private bathroom, but the kitchen and living area was shared. I’ve been a host for a little while now, I don’t rent out rooms, just an entire beach house so it’s different. As I sat in the kitchen of this condo cleaning my dishes, I thought how does my host know it’s me that’s being tidy and clean. The other guests staying in the second bedroom had left a bunch of dishes piled in the sink. Does this make it difficult to leave an honest review of a guest? Having multiple guests sharing space without the host being around to observe. Just curious. I feel after being a host for a few years, I try my best to be the perfect guest when staying places.

@HannahyMartín0  That's a really interesting point. Maybe that's why we see some of these generic reviews like "Nice guests" (some of whom turn out to be awful guests)- the hosts don't really know who left the mess, so can't accurately speak to which guest was responsible.

@HannahyMartín0

Yes it is a good point. Occasionally, I don't know which guest made the mess, but I'm a live in host and I mostly work from home. For me, anyway, it's usually pretty obvious if you just pay attention but I can see how for other hosts it might not always be apparent who is making the mess.