Guest unhappy with cost

Grace13
Level 2
Portland, ME

Guest unhappy with cost

The guest is unhappy with the rate she booked the room at back in May. She is claiming the rate has changed since she booked the reservation. I’m assuming she is going to want a discount, I’m afraid she will cancel.

has this happened to anyone before?

10 Replies 10
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

It has never happened to me but since I use the smart pricing function I suppose it could. First of all as far as I know there's no possible way she could see or even know about an updated price for her dates as even if she used another account it'd show up as unavailable. I might be wrong. If my chats with her have been friendly and she seems like she'd be a good guest I might make a goodwill gesture and give her a discount. If she seems like a one word wonder and/or high maintenance I'd tell her that's the price the Airbnb algorithm chose for that period and that SHE'S welcome to cancel her original booking and try her luck. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Grace13 

The price she booked at in May is the price that she committed herself to. The price has not increased, it was set in stone when she hit Submit on the check-out page.

What is probably happening is the price quoted for a listing in a general search is the net price a host asks for that property. As soon as the guest puts in trip details.....the number of guests.....the time of year......the cleaning fee.....the Airbnb service fees......any government taxes Airbnb are required to collect, the price will alter to reflect these items. .

But as the guest proceeds to a reservation they come to the check-out page where there is a breakdown of all the relevant costs and it is at that point that the guest can either proceed to a reservation, or they can stop and search elsewhere.

If the guest chose to continue at that point the price quoted will not alter once the reservation has been accepted. The guest had to know the exact cost!

Guests do seem to be becoming more entitled and are thinking that they can negotiate their way to a better deal. I have even had them contact me direct after cancelling a reservation to do a deal on the side to save a dollar or two!

Airbnb do shoot themselves in the foot by allowing guests to cancel penalty free within 48 hours of booking at which point they have been given specific details about the host!

Grace, I would let this guest go and let Airbnb refund her! These are the sort of guests we do not wish to be associated with. You can bet no good will come out of hosting a guest like this....If the stay does proceed she will have a never ending list of requirements or complaints and you will end up with a bad review. Contact Airbnb and explain that you do not feel comfortable with proceeding with this reservation. The guest is demanding what you don't offer, and CX will cancel this reservation as a neutral cancellation. This way it won't affect you.....don't cancel yourself, get Airbnb to do it.

There are plenty of lovely guests out there Grace, don't get involved with a prickly one! 

Cheers.......Rob

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Grace13 

Is she saying she booked for one price and now being charged another? If so, separate yourself from the discussion and direct her to Airbnb. They collect the money on your behalf. If she is saying your price is cheaper for other open nights, this happened to me once. My weekend pricing is dramatically higher than week nights and also discount as I am left with unbooked nights about 2-3 weeks out. One guest brought it up. I asked her if she booked my place because it was the cheapest or because she was drawn the incredible location, my great reviews and beautiful space. If the latter, was she willing when she was planning her vacation to wait till last minute to see if her dates are free to get a discount. I am also booked solid in the summer so I pointed that out to her as well. She ended up being a happy guest.

Exactly as @Inna22 says.

"I'm so sorry, I have nothing to do the the rates or payment. Please contact Airbnb, they can help you"

Put on an innocent , slighly-lost look and smile.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Grace13 

I love the idea that @Inna22 posted. Try opening a discussion with her. But if she is still grumbling cut her loose through Airbnb. You do not want an unhappy guest from the beginning.  All you can the expect is high demands and a low review. Good luck !

In this circumstance, if they are able to cancel within the policy, let them do so. Do not be afraid of the cancellation--If you do reduce the price, there is no guarantee the guests will appreciate your gesture, and I have found that guests who reveal themselves as difficult early on, rarely get any easier. If they cancel, there is still the opportunity to pick up other bookings. 

Also, i do belive AIRBNB will keep some fees if they cancel and book another place during the same dates. You do not keep the money, but it is a cost to the guest, and makes it less likely they will find a place and 'save.'

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Grace13 oh dear, let her gooooooooo

no discount and you're likely better off without her

and btw her story is nonsense! the price for her dates can't change, bc those dates are already booked. Other dates could have different pricing bc they are OTHER DATES! 

If she has questions about anything about pricing in regard to her reservation then the only people who can answer that for her are ABB.

Good luck!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

My last 3 guests had extra persons charges added to their bill by airbnb (it was my personal last straw) it's possible that she's been hit with fees you know nothing about, she can forward her bill to you to check out on the off chance that she has indeed had a price hike, if she's just angling for a discount  I think we all agree: Red Flag!

Grace13
Level 2
Portland, ME

She is complaining now about the fee’s air bnb is charging her. I told her air bnb could better help her and that I was limited on information. I think it’s best she duke it out with them... she’s supposed to arrive tomorrow going to leave wine and fresh local strawberries hopefully this settles her whoas 

@Grace13  The guests should not be complaining to you about the Airbnb fees. "I know that Airbnb has been steadily raising their fees, but hosts aren't privy to the fee structure for that, we don't receive a penny of those fees, and it's not something a host has any control over. If you feel Airbnb's fees are too high, that's something I'd encourage you to take up with the company."