Guest using our toothbrush

Erin205
Level 2
San Rafael, CA

Guest using our toothbrush

Question- have you ever had a guest “borrow” toiletries without asking? Case in point a recent guest went into our bathroom drawer, found a new unopeneded toothbrush and proceeded to use it. We know it’s ours because our dentist’s name was on it. 

Is this weird? Should we care? We know it’s just a toothbrush. But it’s the mindset that whatever is found in our home is okay for them to use that rubs us in a weird way.

Thoughts? Is this worth mentioning in a review? Privately? Are we being overly sensitive? Thanks. 

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Odd. Best lock your personal items, 'problem' solved. No need to mention it because by locking such items in the future, it wouldn't happen again. 

Seems strange to lock EVERY drawer in the bathroom, which guests use. 

Well then leave such items available. Some guests may use it.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

We provide out guests with new unopened tooth brushes from the Dollar store.  I would say they used about 3 or 4  last year at a dollar each.  I think it is odd that the guest just took a toothbrush that was personalized with your dentist's information but if that's the worst thing that happens I wouldn't worry about it.

It really isn't that they used a toothbrush. You are right. They are cheap objects. It is kind of the mindset of "Oh, I need one of these, here is one I can have." I mean, it's our spare! It could have been anything, and thankfully just a toothbrush. But I don't know. It really bothered my husband. And what is strange is when they came in late, we could hear one of them going through every drawer in our bathroom. Opening and closing every single one. Maybe we are being sensitive?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

First, ewwww. Second, perhaps use this as a reason to rethink some of your systems. I wouldn’t leave anything in a shared space that I wasn’t ok with a guest using/touching. Get a tote and remove your items as needed?

not all guests arrive with courtesy nor sense, best to limit what damage they are capable of. @Erin205

and, my review would mention their inability to stay out of host’s personal belongings so don’t recommend them for shared space listings. 

And, btw, I’m more offended by the rifling through of drawers than the use of a freebie toothbrush. The first is rude no matter how you look at it, the second could be see as an available amenity (depending on its location of course)