Guests Sharing Info with Non-Guests

Guests Sharing Info with Non-Guests

Hello. I'm a new host on Airbnb. I listed the mother-in-law suite in my home, which is fully furnished, separate, with a separate entrance. I provide guests with a self check-in option via electronic locks. The suite is still part of my home, so I am very cautious about who I allow to stay. I do not use automatic booking, instead I accept requests from guests and chat with them before I accept them. I try to avoid headaches, and have denied requests to people who lied about the number of guests they were bringing, as well as those who submitted requests coupled with a discount request. So far, so good. A few privacy matters have arisen. First, a guest last week indicated on her reservation that she was traveling alone. This is one reason why I accepted her--thinking she would likely be a quiet guest. When I saw a different young woman accessing the electronic keypad, I asked who she was. This young woman told me that she was the cousin of the booking guest. I asked where the booking guest was, and the cousin replied--"She's still driving here. I took an Uber." So, I let the cousin inside. Three hours later, the booking guest arrived, and apologized for the confusion. No problem. However, the booking guest checked out nearly four hours before her cousin. I had no idea whether the cousin was familiar with my house rules, or how to even communicate with this person. I was about to let the housekeeper go upstairs and clean when I saw that the guest's car was gone. Fortunately, I texted the guest to see if she had indeed checked out. She told me that she left for the airport due to an early flight, but her cousin was staying until the checkout time (hours later). I'm glad I checked, but I find it problematic for guests to share passwords with their guests who are not on the reservation. Airbnb did not think this was concerning.

The next issue is with my current guest. He booked for two. No problem. I also have a house rule that only guests who are on the reservation are allowed in the suite. While he didn't bring another person into the suite, he did invite some person to my home. He met this person in my driveway, where they spoke for a while before leaving. I know this doesn't sound like much, but I don't know who that guy was, but now he knows that my home is an Airbnb listing. He also knows what I have indoors, thanks to the pictures. I'm just concerned about guests casually sharing information about my home that, if falling into the wrong hands, could create problems. I would prefer if Airbnb vetted each guest, not just the booking guest, and also made it clear that personal information like electronic entry passcodes and addresses are not to be shared with non-guests. The Airbnb rep I spoke with encouraged me to post my concerns in this forum.

Thanks for any insight you can lend.

8 Replies 8
Jennifer1946
Level 2
Napier, New Zealand

Hi Theresa, we have a self-contained studio attached to our main home, separated by an entrance hall. The studio has its own entrance and we also use a lock box so guests can check in independently if they wish. My two suggestions that work for us: perhaps change the lock box code regularly, after every guest if that makes you feel safer; also, can you lock the doors to the mother-in-law suite so that guests can't access your part of the house? We have locks on the door to their room so we can access the studio but guests can not wander into our part of the house without coming around to the front door. I expect only the guests on the booking to be the ones staying in the studio, but I don't have a problem with guests have friends over as normal part of their visit. It's a balance I know, one that only you can figure out depending on your situation and location!

Thank you, Jennifer. I, too, have a door separating the listing from the rest of my home. It certainly makes me feel better. I also change the electronic lock code after every visit. It was just strange to find someone entering my home who I didn't know was coming. Thanks for the great tips.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Theresa275 

Your concern is understandable. We have in our house rules that the person who booked has to be present during check-in. It works most of the time but often, the rest of the group arrive later. We meet our guests and explain everything they should know (locks, keys, etc...) but those who arrive later doesn't hear our instructions and often cause problems. I would be happy if the whole group could arrive at the same time but unfortunatelly that's not always possible.

We also don't allow visitors but I am sure it happens. People don't read and don't care about house rules. We have it in our listing and also printed in our apartment but no avail.

We got a few bad reviews in 3 years of hosting and they were all left by guests who didn't read our description, our rules, and our messages or were not present at check-in and then they blamed us for all their mistakes.

Hello Friends. Thank you for the great tips. I really like the idea of making sure the booking guest is present during check in. I am going to add that to my rules.

I'm very sorry you received negative reviews from guests who did not read the rules. I'm not sure if our guests realize how much we risk by letting strangers into our homes. If they did, they would understand why so many precautions are necessary.

Thanks again for the excellent tip! 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Theresa275: We have a similar setup. Our guesthouse is attached to our home but we made some renovations that make it completely soundproofed between the two living spaces. The best thing about using a keypad lock is you can change the code. Each guest gets their own door code. The last four digits of their phone number associated with their account When they check-out I delete the code and enter the next guest. It has worked flawlessly for 4 years. 

We also have a lot of guests that have friends in the area, are visiting relatives, have a child that goes to college here etc. Our guests "have guests" and we don't mind. They generally ask to have people over to use the pool. We are very laid back people and as long at guests are respectful of the property and home we want them and their guests to enjoy themselves.

Best of luck.

Thanks Barry & Lera. Great advice. 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Theresa275   Sounds like everyone has already given you some great advice! One thing I always tell hosts who are concerned about safety, etc, is to invest in outdoor cameras. You can see who is coming and going and if anything ever goes wrong, you have that guest/non guest on camera. Just make sure you make it very clear in your listing that there are recording devices on the property.

Thank you, Kaylee. Great advice.