Guests arrived two days early at 12 noon, check-in is 4 pm - did not allow entry

Roberta150
Level 7
Flagstaff, AZ

Guests arrived two days early at 12 noon, check-in is 4 pm - did not allow entry

Thought I would post how I handled an unpleasant situation that just happened in case it helps other hosts handle something similar. A self-described student booked my place with three others for two nights, June 1-2. Today is May 30th, a night I blocked off to take a break and recover from a cold and May 31st is booked by another three guests. The June 1-2 guests just arrived at my doorstep at 12 noon (check-in time is 4 pm) and opened the key lock box attempting to enter my home - luckily when I block off nights I remove the keys for my safety.

I was in my bedroom due to being sick and looked out the window into the backyard to see one of the guys walking around my home looking for and trying doors and windows to enter. Scary. So I got dressed, opened another window by the front door and spoke to them (NOT opening the door.) They told me they booked for tonight - I checked my listing on my computer and suddenly it's "Oh, we made a mistake and booked the wrong days!" while trying to get me to open the door.

I told them to cancel their June 1-2 booking since it is wrong and wished them luck finding a place to stay, and told them I am booked for tonight and tomorrow. They did cancel. In my opinion, they did not make a mistake but booked to get the key access information and planned on entering my home and not paying. I am so thankful that I removed the keys from the lockbox for the blocked days.

And a few days ago I had a booking from someone in California saying they were moving across country and was there space for a moving trailer in my driveway? They then canceled without a word one hour later after having gained access to the key lock box code. I sent them an email via Airbnb telling them "Oh, I am sorry you had to cancel. I have blocked off that night and there will not be keys in the lock box. I hope you have a great trip." It was my way of letting them know they would not be able to get into my home after not paying. It may not have been a case of booking to get the key code information then canceling with plans on getting in and cleaning out all my furniture and valuables into their trailer, but I do think it was the case. 

My point is to be sure never to let anyone in who A) arrives before check-in (if they are even the correct guests who actually booked), and B) "Booked the wrong days " or whatever excuse but are NOT booked for the night. I have decided from now on to also only put the keys in the lock box just before 4 pm to prevent early entry or unbooked people entering. Luckily my training as a former police officer for LAPD came in handy in dealing with these people. I will also soon be changing my profile photo to one with a man standing next to me since some may mistakingly think I as a woman alone would be an easy target or push-over. I will also be changing the code to the key lock box in a few days just to be safe, after the few guests already emailed with it have checked out, and will update it on the listing. It is a good idea if you have a similar self-entry system to change the code periodically.

Overall, hosting is wonderful and I love the freedom it is giving me to pursue my dreams while more than meeting my expenses. Most guests are great, and I believe most people are honest and have good intentions. Otherwise, Airbnb and other sites like it would never work. Good luck to all hosts!

46 Replies 46
LaVerne0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

I had a booking for 3, only 2 showed up. Who was responcible for the change, me  or them?

They would be responsible for the change if you charge a fee over 2 people. They would have to either ask for a rate adjustment or request money.

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I have a door with a lock code and never even send the code out until the day a guest is scheduled to arrive. 

I am the same way, but I send it about 5 days in advance along with my address. I don't want people who cancel to have my address and keycode information. Most people wont even remember it or need until the day of their arrival anyway.

Q for you @Zacharias0  

Since Airbnb sends a confirmed booking email to every guests within seconds of their credit card being charged, after a booking complete, how is that they are not getting your address since the address and phone number for every host is sent in those emails?  

I found your posted comment very odd because every host is required to complete the section of their listing which includes the exact address which is then linked into the confirmed booking email.

When I first became a host, I would ask my guests if they would be wiling to show me how their emails appeared.  My guests were very accommodating to show me their email received from Airbnb after booking my home , and sure enough there was my address and phone number were included in that confirmation email.  This was a moment for me to learn how guests see things on their end about my place. 

Since then, I have personally stayed in 5 Airbnbs around the world after becoming a host, and each time, the confirmed booking email I received from Airbnb with each host listing included their exact address, phone number, ABB coded email, along with House Rules, House Manual, photos, etc. 

Appreciate hearing back from you soon with regards to my very specific question.  Thank you so much. 

******SIDE NOTE:******  @Roberta150  @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Kenneth12 @Tim198  @Marguerite17 

For those who may or may not know this, Airbnb has put every host "CHECK IN TIME" into the House Rules section.  Anyone coming to your home early without WRITTEN prior permission on the Airbnb message site from the host can possibly find themselves being asked to leave and their booking cancelled specifically for breaking the rules.  This host did very good with her instincts, however, what she also could have done, was contact Airbnb immediately, report that the guests showed up days early, and have their entire booking cancelled by Airbnb.  ABB would have noted the BOOKED GUESTS account that they showed up before the check in date attempting to enter a home without permission.  ABB would have escalated this particular issue to the Safety and Trust team who would have reached out to the guests letting them know that a violation was committed and their account could be in jeopardy of being removed thereby preventing them from any future stays. This guests is really lucky they weren't caught in my back yard that day.  My guard dog Sweetie aka "my extra host" would have reminded them they were not suppose to be there.  haha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 I totally agree with you, if anyone face such a situation the best thing is to contact Airbnb immediately here is the phone number of Airbnb in the United States (USA): +1-415-800-5959 (local SF number) or +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free). 

Yes, guests recieve address and phone number right after booking. I have used it many times to travel and this is what happens. Of course, if a guest is paying at that time, they want to know the address and contact number. I use a code box and don't provide that until the day of the booking. 

My kwikset is hooked to my computer system. I intend to create a new code for each guest (based on their reservation ID w/extra #s) and the system will enable the code at check-in time and auto-disable it at check-out time. If they leave late (and/or leave their stuff in the house) it won't let them enter and they'll have to come to me.

It's nice to be a programmer... 🙂

I ALWAYS keep the key out of the lockbox after every check out. I change the pin code regularly and ALWAYS meet the guests. AFTER I have met them, I give them the pincode to access it. If they seem sketchy or make me uncomfortable, I would go with my gut feeling.Fortunately I haven't had to rely on it much.

I know a lot of hosts and guests all prefer self check-in, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable enough to do that.

Even hotels check your ID, voucher and secure credit card info before giving you access to the room.  Of course, I understand that in some cases it's impossible for hosts to physically be on site, and also Airbnb listings are definitely not hotels, but when my property is on the line I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Even as a guest, I was honestly a little worried about self check in and being given the passcode on the morning of check-in. Not that I had any valuables, but I did wonder about how often the host changes the passcode and how many people there could be out there with the passcode.

Airbnb should try harder to educate hosts about safety and security aspects - not just promote the benefits.

The code is changed after every guest (of course) and my listing is the terrace apartment of my house, so I live on the premises in the main floor of the house. I don't use instant book, and I vet my guests before accepting a booking. 

100% correct.

I will NEVER allow self check in. I have a better "peace of mind" when being introduced to guests. I get a guage of what I am in for-whether it be social cues from a friendly couple, private person, respectable person etc....

I feel that self check in leads the guests in a subtle way to feel like they can do whatever they want because the host must not be around.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

just goes to show that the now heavily promoted self check  makes hosts vulnerable to many problems, one of them safety. Even hotels don't have self check in, you always have to get past the check in at the front desk.

Your listing cannot be "business ready", another thing Airbnb is promoting lately,  unless you facilitate self check in. To me , all that is going in the wrong direction.

Though my listing is a separate apartment, I will never do self check in: I want to know who is at my place, and to spend 5 to 10 minutes with each new guest is time well spent- it gives me peace of mind knowing who is in my space , and I believe just touching base like that preempts many potential problems, AND the guests feel welcome!

Scary! I use a lock box, but change the combo after it is used by a guest. I also don't send the combo out until the night before their arrival. Normally, I try to meet every guest in person (I live in the main house) and only use the lock box in extenuating circumstances like if they are arriving very late or I am unable to be there at the 4:00 pm check-in.

I just became business ready and in the area where it describes how to get into the lock-box, I wrote that the combination will be emailed prior to arrival.... Now I am going to amend it and state that the combination is changed after every use and the combination will be emailed prior to arrival... don't want someone thinking that I use the same combo and that they can come by later and try to get in.

Thoughts?