Do you allow guests bringing friends/dates over when staying in: a Private room Vs Entire home?

Answered!
Ori6
Level 3
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Do you allow guests bringing friends/dates over when staying in: a Private room Vs Entire home?

Hey Everyone!

My name is Ori, and although I'm not a new host - this is the first time I'm posting a question in the community. Lets see how it goes!
I have a question that was probably asked before, but I just wanted to have opinions on both situations. Both are around the question:
Do you allow guests to bring friends over?

Situation 1: Hosting a guest while being at home
So, most of the time this is what I do. I'm at home and I have guests staying in my guest room.
I never had a situation where someone had friends over during the day or night (if they did, it was always a social thing that I was a part of) but it could happen. In this case - what do you think is best? Adding a rule regarding bringing guests? If so, what would be that rule? How strict are you with that? Should I add something regarding guests at night? (I saw this suggestion in another post:
"No unbooked and unregistered guests. Violation will be cause for cancellation"). Thoughts on this situation?

Situation 2: Having a guest who booked the entire home
This is what Im mostly interesting in hearing from you guys - when you are away and your guest/guests have the place to themselves. Do you think it makes sense to forbid (VIA house rules of course) to bring guests during the day or night? 
On the one hand, when someone books an entire place, they expect (or hope) they could bring either friends over, or more likely - dates/hook-ups. When I have a couple booking my place, I assume they might (probably) have sex in my house (hopefully on the bed...) but my dillemma starts when I have single guests (for example, 2 best friends) booking the house. I dont really like the thought that some stranger THEY picked up in a bar will be in my house. Of course all liability is on them, but still - I dont want to be in that situation.

What do you think? Is it "Legit" to prefer couples as guests for that reason, or hosting "singles" as long as they follow this rule? (I assume it might be a "deal breaker" for some).

I'd love to hear your thoughts and learn from your experience!
Thanks a lot in advance,
Ori  

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

For the latest information on how to bill when a guest wants to  bring extra guests, you can find the step by step guide on our Airbnb Help Center: Adding an extra guest fee

If you don't have the space to accommodate those extra guests, you can let them know the space isn't right for their needs and ask them to cancel their booking. Find out more here: When guests want to bring more people

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I rent out a mother-in-law quarters- so it's a private entrance and the guest never goes through my house during their stay, as everything is in the room and there is a little 'kitchenette' even.  I have yet to have someone bring a guest they didn't initially have with them.  However, I expect it to happen due to the nature of the extreme privacy and the fact that I would really never know once I fell asleep around midnight lol.  All I can say is...just make sure you have insurance to cover theft or damages.  A guest for a 'hookup' to me is not really that big of a deal if it's a private unit or an entire unit.  However, if you are in a room in your home and they bring some random date back to your place...ugh, that's just goofy and I don't see that happening.  My experience so far with Aribnb is that most people have a purpose for staying in your town and it isn't to hunker in and use your place- especially if they know it's just a room in your house.  I host in Las Vegas...you know, where 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...." and  have yet to have the hook up prostitute come over for a guest..so I imagine it's just not a common thing you need to worry about or even mention aside from putting it in your house rules on your listing if it really worries you.  I see on the forum how people talk about how people book then bring a guest or few at check in that aren't booked but even that I haven't had happen yet and I host in a total tourist trap of a town.  If it's your whole apartment they will have to themselves, not really much you can do AFTER they all check in so just make sure when they book you know who's coming so you can wrap it up before they get there.  Hope that helps!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ori

I think the problem is not the rules one sets

It’s how to enforce the rules one sets.

My view is provided the person staying is covered by the fee (my price is for four guest) I'm not that concerned, best described by the mantra "if you stay you pay" so in my case, if a fifth person spends their time in my apartment, I'll request an amended booking to reflect this additional person.

You’re better off chasing the cash then chasing the guests away and Ori, you'll probably have a better outcome dealing with Airbnb as guest usually have better outcome in a problem situation.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Interesting question! Yes, this topic has come up before, but with different variations. Some hosts are worried about it from a payment standpoint (extra person = extra use they want to be paid for), some from a liability standpoint (I vetted the guest, not this extra person. Or, in my case, insurance won’t cover unregistered people) and some with a distaste for hookup culture (A one night stand in my house? Ew.) How you respond will depend on what real concern you’re trying to address.

My main concern is liability (US is very litigious) and having too many people in the small space (max 4 guests), so I have a house rule that only registered guests are allowed on the property. Enforcement is the next issue: I have a camera at the front door and live on site, so it's easy to keep tabs on.

Ambiguous situations get pretty clear with this rule. No arguing over whether a couple friends over constitutes a party. Or if that’s a late night visitor or an overnight visitor. Most of my guests are travelling with just their little group, so exceptions haven’t come up much. Out of 90ish stays, only 2 had friends or family stop by. So in answer to Situation 1: the rule is hard, but hasn’t come up much and I don’t mind flexing so long as their guests aren’t hanging around for long.

With Situation #2: I’ve had too many girlfriend/bachelor/bachelorette groups who were GREAT guests to want to turn down uncoupled travelers. It would be an expensive way to avoid a small chance of issue. And really, we could just as easily run into swingers bringing a 3rd home as single people bringing home a one night stand. In either case, I'd ask them about the extra person and make sure the guest count is accurate and not over my max.

Ori6
Level 3
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! Truely apriciate it 🙂

I think they main issue for me is more the sense of security when having guests being here while I am not. I mean, if im around I guess its ok to bring friends over during the day, but at night that would just be strange. If im not around, I dont want strangers walking around the house, snooping or even stealing. 

Adding something in the hour-rules list is a good idea, and maybe even a Cam. Not sure about the latter, but as I said - so far I didnt have any issues with that situation, and I choose my guests according to reviews and common sense (of course, you can never be 100% sure).

So, thanks again for the replies, and if there's anyone else who would like to share their stories/experiences/thoughts/ideas about this topic - that will be great!

Have a great day,
Ori

Ann151
Level 2
Missouri, United States

First, I don't have a good answer as this just had this happen to me over the weekend.  I rent out my third floor which has five beds and I have a separate listing for a queen suite on the second floor.  I don't rent the third floor if the queen suite is rented and vice versa. For groups with more than five people, I offer to rent the queen suite.  I also stay in the house in my own suite on the second level. There are locks on all doors; I generally lock areas that aren't rented but if the third floor group is as large a five people, I let them use the additional full bathroom that is connected to the queen suite.

The reservation this weekend was for the third floor  -  rented to five people so I left the queen suite open so they could use the shower/bathroom.  They were going to a wedding and with five people getting ready at one time, it made sense to offer the second full bathroom.

I have a ceramic board on which all guests list their name and check when the are "IN' or "OUT". I do the same as I also live in the house.  Once all are in for the night, I go down and check the doors and turn on the alarm.  Guests know this when they check in. Occassionally, I've had guests who have others stop by but its social and guests didn't stay the night.

This morning,  when I left for church, there were two additional names on the board.  I assumed they were names of evening guests; the who came over after the wedding. I was in my room when they came home; they were quiet with just the normal chit chat one would hear from a group of friends.

The group checked out while I was at church and left town (taking the house keys with them which is a whole other issue).  Upon returning, the additional names were erased from the board but the original five names remained.  When I went to check the room I found that the queen suite on the second floor had also been used!  So, these two additional folks were in the house overnight and they stayed for free! I now have additional laundry, cleaning etc.

It feels a bit creepy and I feel that they took advantage of me.  Overall, the group was nice but they were young.  From my perspective, I'm thinking of safety and liability.   My home is a large, old tenanment style house - built in 1899.  It's built very solid and has never had a fire in all those years. I have fire extinguishers in each room and a fire escape rope ladder on the third and second floor balconies.  Should something happen, I want a head count of who is in the house.  I feel it's a liability thing.  When people check in, we go over all the safety details.  (I used to be on the board of SafeKids and am vigilant about safety). I also wonder should someone in the house get injured or assaulted by another guest, to what extent am I liable? 

My home is partially attached to another townhouse; there are three townhomes in the  building.  Each townhome is about 3000 square feet; 950 square per floor and three stories high.  About a month ago, the guys in the third unit over from mine were walking on my roof.  There is a 14 inch partition between each roof; a clear demarkation.  The roofs are made of a waterproof polyurethane foam that is sprayed on.  The roof should not be walked on.  My other neighbors got pictures and when I got home, I asked the guys not to walk on the roof. They said they would do as they please.  Yeah....I consulted a lawyer who said that should anything happen to one of them while on my roof....I would most likely be sued.  Sounds crazy, but true. So, I had to post No Trepassing signs on the roof and had to a letter sent to their landlord.

Roll forward to the issue at hand and liability for those in my home, I'm pretty sure that I could end up getting sued should something happen to a guest in my home.  As much as Airbnb "insures" us, they can't prevent people from doing stupid things or from sueing hosts.  I have an umbrella policy, but sure don't want anyone hurt or the consequences should something awful happen.

I'm not sure how to handle this situation and it scares me somewhat.  I've heard of hosts who require that everyone sign their name to the house rules upon check-in. My house rules clearly state that only registered, paying guests can spend the night.  A few days before check-in, I send a message asking people to review the house rules and to share the house rules with the other guests in their reservation.

I've not wanted to be hard-nosed by requiring a signature of each guest, but perhaps I need to be?  Anyone else with suggestions? Its tough.  I'm not their babysitter or mother, but at the same time expect people to act responsibly.  Unfortunately, we all know that people don't always do the right thing or think through consequences.

Fingers crossed that they mail back the keys as they said they would. They have promised to mail overnight express with a tracking number.

Thanks all. Would love to hear others thoughts and ideas for at least trying to prevent a difficult situation or unfortunate outcome.

I would get an electronic keypad and change the code as you deem necessary. This eliminates constant worry about keys. 

I would send them private feedback that the extra guests were clearly against the rules for hosts peace of mind and safety of homeowners (I am reading this right now as I have young guests who brought friends). It is likely they just have no idea the impact. 

I would then request the fee for the two additional guests as well as the cleaning fee for the other space, and contact Airbnb and let them know why and that you are expecting compensation from this group. I imagine they will pay to avoid a negative review. 

Ori6
Level 3
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

The thing is - how can I know while Im away if guests bring friends or hookups overnight? 🙂
Thats my main concern which I dont know how to approcah...

thanks!

My guests only use one exterior door, so I have a Ring video doorbell there. Each time there's movement it captures a video and sends a notification; I simply check how many people entered the house in the last video(s) of the night.

Some hosts use apps that count how many connections to wifi there are, which is less invasive than video but not as accurate since some people have multiple devices.

Hi  to all,

I have had the problem over and over again, what happens is that even if you say it is for two people, they invite people.

I have an apartment for two people, but they always ask me for the favor of bringing nephews or parents because they live nearby. I am a Latina and I never say no, I think well they are children or older people.

I Called Airbnb and it has not helped me yet, I think that apart from the house rules Airbnb should help clarify that the apartment and the enjoyment of the areas are for two people, in my case.

I want to know by law if you book for two persons they are allowed to bring extra guests, even if you don't say that in your house rules. I think many hosts don't specify that because is obvious,. I really appreciate if some go through this how they solved these problems, what was the house rules. thank you very much

sorry, my English is rusty

My listing is a guest bedroom in my apartment and I don't allow anyone other than the guest who booked entry into my home. There is a 24 hour coffee shop which is a 2 minute walk away from my door step and Seoul is known as the city that never sleeps, so guests who stay with me have plenty of safe options if they want to have fun with friends late into the night. I try to be flexible for most requests but this is one thing I do not compromise on and I make this very clear to my guests upon booking.

Tommy129
Level 1
Leesburg, FL

It all depends on the kind of guest you have. Some guests will ask if it's ok and others will just do what they want . I have guests now that just do as they please. I have been doing this for almost three years now and have been a super host all this time. But the guests I have now are people who think they own the place and have a person come for days and stay over night and a man stayed one night that I know of. They have had many dinner  parties and don't ask just do. I am about to ask them to leave and the wife who booked does not talk to me vey much I don't feel this is my home anymore with these people and I can't help but noitce they think they are better than anyone else . I have a beautiful home and I feel they are bringing all these people here to show off. It is making me vey upset any of these people could get hurt and I will get sued Airbnb has insurance on listed guests but not these other people. My guest did come and ask if she could host easter I said how many she said twenty three people I did say no !! That is way too many and all the wear on the home. All these people live in the area I say go to one of thier homes.  The husband showed  up with a trailer and bike and that is in my garage I don't charge them and they have been here for two months. He takes my tools and uses them and I must put them away. I would say this kind of guest is not a good one. And if someone gets hurt I will be sued for sure. I have had many guests come to me and ask if family can come over and it was all good. I really think it depends on the guest. And most that have asked invited me to join these people have not. It is out of control. I know I am wining on but I never had such a problem before they make me feel I should leave ! I talked to a Airbnb person one time and he told me it's your ship so you run it the way you want. I have two weeks to go with them and I can't wait until it is over. And the house is very dirty she does nothing and yet does not want my cleaning person in ! Sorry I am just not happy with these people !

Should have kicked them out and filed with airbnb

Airbnb would do nothing but find fault in your listing description and delist your room

Trinny1
Level 1
Jacksonville, FL

I have a guest that checked in 2 am with an extra guest who she intends on having over the entire stay. I don’t feel comfortable anymore and have already told them to leave. How do o enforce this. I’m in Jacksonville Fl. I’ve already contacted Airbnb and have told them they have to leave.