Do you allow guests bringing friends/dates over when staying in: a Private room Vs Entire home?

Answered!
Ori6
Level 3
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Do you allow guests bringing friends/dates over when staying in: a Private room Vs Entire home?

Hey Everyone!

My name is Ori, and although I'm not a new host - this is the first time I'm posting a question in the community. Lets see how it goes!
I have a question that was probably asked before, but I just wanted to have opinions on both situations. Both are around the question:
Do you allow guests to bring friends over?

Situation 1: Hosting a guest while being at home
So, most of the time this is what I do. I'm at home and I have guests staying in my guest room.
I never had a situation where someone had friends over during the day or night (if they did, it was always a social thing that I was a part of) but it could happen. In this case - what do you think is best? Adding a rule regarding bringing guests? If so, what would be that rule? How strict are you with that? Should I add something regarding guests at night? (I saw this suggestion in another post:
"No unbooked and unregistered guests. Violation will be cause for cancellation"). Thoughts on this situation?

Situation 2: Having a guest who booked the entire home
This is what Im mostly interesting in hearing from you guys - when you are away and your guest/guests have the place to themselves. Do you think it makes sense to forbid (VIA house rules of course) to bring guests during the day or night? 
On the one hand, when someone books an entire place, they expect (or hope) they could bring either friends over, or more likely - dates/hook-ups. When I have a couple booking my place, I assume they might (probably) have sex in my house (hopefully on the bed...) but my dillemma starts when I have single guests (for example, 2 best friends) booking the house. I dont really like the thought that some stranger THEY picked up in a bar will be in my house. Of course all liability is on them, but still - I dont want to be in that situation.

What do you think? Is it "Legit" to prefer couples as guests for that reason, or hosting "singles" as long as they follow this rule? (I assume it might be a "deal breaker" for some).

I'd love to hear your thoughts and learn from your experience!
Thanks a lot in advance,
Ori  

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

For the latest information on how to bill when a guest wants to  bring extra guests, you can find the step by step guide on our Airbnb Help Center: Adding an extra guest fee

If you don't have the space to accommodate those extra guests, you can let them know the space isn't right for their needs and ask them to cancel their booking. Find out more here: When guests want to bring more people

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Sherelle1
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I have a no guest rule. One of the times that I did allow an extra person to stay. They gave me a very bad review. First one ever since hosting. They weren’t here much but complained about everything they could.  I wasn’t concerned about safety but the extra wear an tear. I have to modify my posting and now will asl upon booking that they read the rules. My current guest who tried to bring a plus one said he didn’t read the fine print. The print is far from small and some folks will try anything not to pay or just get over. He offered to pay but it was too late to alter the reservation and I will not accept cash onsite or accept people who aren’t originally booked. 

I just encountered a "hook up guest". I list my entire house with a few private areas (office and 1 bedroom) in case I stay there. I keep extra personal belongings there should I need anything. I make it very clear that these areas are not part of the listing. I had two 20 something women reserve my house and they brought a man over 3 of the 4 nights. I have security cameras at both doors, so I know exactly who goes in and out and at what time. The man didn't bring anything and left with nothing each morning. I don't care what people do on their own time and am not one to judge, but this is my house and I don't want unregistered guests in it. I also price my listing reasonably for two people but it could easily accommodate 4, so I charge extra for every guest over 2. I even asked for clarification on the number of people staying and they didn't respond. I included the failure to follow house rules in my review, but didn't charge them. After reading replies here, I will charge accordingly in the future.

I also had another group of three who totally ignored my check in email that noted the private areas that were not part of the listing and slept in my bedroom that is tucked away in the basement. 

thanks everyone for sharing your experience.

Charles968
Level 1
New York, NY

I deal with this issue a ton, and airbnb doesnt do anything to help.

For whatever reason my place attracts people who want to throw "game nights".

These game nights ALWAYs have 2 people as the reserved guests. These people sometimes bring upwards of 20 extra people.  I state on my listing you cant bring extra guests, anything over 5 people and you will be charged $545 (my group rate) 1045(if they want the backyard as well).

That stopped people from trying it until airbnb took my listing down for basically advertising parties.

So now i had to create another listing and inquire each and every time about the purpose of the stay. 

If someone brings a friends or two fine, i see it and ignore it. But not if theyre throwing a birthday party, not on my white floors. 

My stay is the full apt but we own the entire property and im usually right upstairs overlooking things. If i didnt live here there wpuld be endless 2 guest stay parties. 

Airbnb intemtionally ignores this issue. 

If i were you id have a simple rule like: each overnight guest is allowed 1 extra guest during the day. Each guest after that must be paid for 

So a reservation 2 people can at worst be 4.  But even then when they break the rules bnb does little to help 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Charles968 

I think you have to be strict and very clear about this rule and do something when guests break it. Personally, if I were you, I would make it crystal clear that no unauthorised visitors are allowed, regardless of whether they are staying the night or not. I've seen too many stories here about guests claiming people were just popping by, but actually no, they were trying to sneak in extra guests and not pay for them.

I host in my own home, so I guess that's a bit different, but I will allow guests to have visitors (who don't stay overnight) occasionally. They must ask me in advance, let me know who is coming and when and for what purpose. I like to inform my other guests if someone else is going to be there. I don't want them suddenly surprised by a random stranger when they are coming out of the shower!

If guests want visitors who stay overnight, they must also ask in advance, and pay the extra person fee. I charge this via an Airbnb request for payment. Most happily pay it, because it's not a lot. However, if a guest thinks it's too much because they were planning to frequently have a partner or someone else stay over, and this discourages them from booking, then fine with me! I would rather host guests that read and understand my house rules and don't try to push the boundaries.

Jennifer1119
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

Well I've clearly stated on my listing no guests or visitors other than those booked in.

I reported one guest who continually brought his mates in at 3am to drink iny sitting room, they cursed at my lodger. I cancelled his booking...Airbnb response was to delist my bedroom because I hadn't stated whether my security cameras were motion activated or continually recording, even though it distinctly describes on my listing where the security cameras are located.

I'm finding Airbnb wash their hands when their customers party in your home. 

Absolutely incompetent responses from Airbnb and extremely inadequate remedies. As a host you are left entirely on your own to deal with their mess.

It's no fun being kept awake all night with 4 drunken men who've decided to party in your home.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

For the latest information on how to bill when a guest wants to  bring extra guests, you can find the step by step guide on our Airbnb Help Center: Adding an extra guest fee

If you don't have the space to accommodate those extra guests, you can let them know the space isn't right for their needs and ask them to cancel their booking. Find out more here: When guests want to bring more people

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I wonder how this hotel/AirBnB stuff works with laws in California but there is limit on number of days ypu can stay. Does anyone know what the laws are if Im Im renting with family and if our names are on the room. Are we allowed to stay with another friend for the last week or still switch hotels If I stayed at friends for about 1 week. Need to know. Sorry

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why aren't you asking your host @Victor3980