Guests damaged

Jannisse0
Level 2
Montevideo, Uruguay

Guests damaged

I am a super host with a 4,9 rate and 87+ reviews.

I just had a guest that broke a collectible piece on display.

I strive to offer my guests the best possible experience. 

I contacted them after they left when we found the broken piece.

He denied doing it.

I started a claim through Airbnb and he rejected again. We are talking us$45 in damages,

After I sumited the claim and he rejected he left me a review.

I am sick to my stomach because I am sure is writen out of spitefulnes and it will seriously damage my track record.

To my dismay Airbnb won’t prevent the posting of the review. This guest did not have any reviews . In the meantime his review can make me lost my super host status which I  worked to hard to achieve.

What should I do? Does anybody experience this?

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jannisse0

First - you have great reviews and you are a superhost - that tells everyone you are doing it very well. I can't even see the review you mention - as it's an outlier it's probably hidden way down the list. People will see through one bad apple. If you havent done so, then review the guest professionally and briefly - just one sentence will tell everyone (hosts and guests) what they need to know - something like: Unfortunately I was unable to come to an agreement with this guest regarding damages to our property.

Second: it's really not worth sweating the small stuff. We put away a small sum from every reservation to cover accidental damage. Even when guests break a gllass or stain a sheet and offer to  pay, we say no.

It sounds like the item you are referring to has some sentimental value, over an above $45 - I would remove any item that you would miss if it was gone or could not be replaced/repaired.

Good luck!

Jannisse0
Level 2
Montevideo, Uruguay

Thank you so much!  I was very upset because I was very accommodating with them.

They booked saying that it was a 3 people party. The night before the last they knocked at my door at 22pm to ask for another set of linen for another person that just arrived. 

Just very messy!