Guests didn’t pay extra charges for having a wedding and extra cleaning

Leisa11
Level 2
Scarborough, ME

Guests didn’t pay extra charges for having a wedding and extra cleaning

I’m very confused.  We have house rules on charges for extra guests during an event, we have house rules with various charges for extra trash, extra cleaning, not stripping the beds before leaving etc. These are all posted on our listing and posted on the refrigerator for guests to follow before they check out. I had a group that lied about the number of guest, they didn’t tell me about a wedding they were hosting and left the place with 10 bags of trash, extra cleaning was needed and they never paid us our extra guest fees for the event. I have involved Airbnb and filed a claim but they are not doing a thing for me. It sounds like items need to be physically damage to get money back from Airbnb. I don’t know why they are not helping me get some of these extra charges back that are clearly owed to me. I have submitted photos and I don’t know how these renters can get away with not following the house rules and not paying any applicable charges. Please help!

7 Replies 7
Geraldine238
Level 1
Lac-Supérieur, Canada

I understand

You are right to be confused.

It has become a trend with Air B&B costumers.

When renting  thew Air B&B , especially with large properties like mine, 6 bedrooms up to 14 guests..

Guest know they may double the number of guest on there reservation,  breaking all the rules and get away with it. Nothing will happen.

When we catch these renters breaking the rules and ask for the extra guest to leave or other , they are then allowed to write untruthful comments about us and our property.

Air B&B protects them and reduces our number of stars according to there false comments.

I have been a host  with Air B&B since 2015.

Since the middle of August 2019 they have refused to make the payouts  they owe me for rentals witch I have honored  because I do not want to give out to Air B&B my  ((( drivers license picture and information)))  that no other rental company ask for.

Why is this information necessary after 4 years of depositing in my same bank account ??????

I have not changed any thing.

Are there not enough fraudulent identity stealing going on ?????    

Thank you

Geraldine [Surname hidden]

Mont Tremblant

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Leisa11 ABB does not believe in fines. Sorry, they just don't.

They believe that a bad review is all the justice you are allowed, and, oh, if the guest wants to give YOU a bad review bc THEY broke your house rules, well then too bad for you

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Leisa11 

Unfortunately, Airbnb will not enforce your house rules or penalize/fine a guest for breaking them. The only thing they will do is help the guest to relocate when you catch them in the act of breaking your rules (of course, Airbnb will refund the guest for any nights they did not stay.) It is best to think of Airbnb as a site to market your "hosting business" and collect/remit payments. 

Leisa11
Level 2
Scarborough, ME

It’s so crazy. I think they collect a security deposit per my request. Did they already refund it to the renter even though a case was opened within 14 days I wonder?  I nicely asked the renter to consider paying at least something and he told me to stop harassing him. Wow was I surprised. Not only does Airbnb not do anything but clearly the renters do run the show. Unbelievable!

@Leisa11   At risk of scaring you more, no, abb collects nothing therefore nothing to be returned. Search a few threads about house rules, security deposits, extra guests etc and you will begin to see how on your own you are in these instances. 

So when I set security deposit in listing to $500 it means nothing?

Correct, it virtually means nothing.