Guests had tantrum, checked out three weeks early over my refund policy

Ben29
Level 2
Miamisburg, OH

Guests had tantrum, checked out three weeks early over my refund policy

I had two guests, both of whom booked me for nine weeks. I've hosted about 100 people, and these girls were hard... It felt more like a summer camp than my house, and they seemed bent on taking over the house, making fun of me and calling me stupid. They complained explicitly to my face about the racial and cultural demographics of my town, if this gives you any idea of what our conversations were like. I have no idea why they thought that was ok. So I just ignored them and let them do their thing. Coming to the end of the stay, they wanted to check out a week short, which would have been two weeks from right now. I explained to them many times that the cancellation and adjustment policy does not allow refunds for such situations. I didn't think it'd have been fair to me, and I was well within AirBnb's rules in my position.

So, they kind of had a tantrum while I was work, and packed up everything they had. And that was a LOT. During their stay they had filled my house with clutter, which I didn't mind because they were the only onces staying, and hey it's only temporary. So they packed up every single trace, didn't leave any mess, and left their house keys on my kitchen table. 

It seems like a pretty clear check out. Do I have any obligation to let them back in? I wasn't able to dig up any similar scenarios. I'm just wondering if they could technically get back into my home, because they just won't stop texting me about how feisty they're feeling toward me still, with 3 weeks left on their stay. Weird, I know. I don't plan to let them in my house, since I took that as a clear checkout, and cancellation policy does not provide a refund at this point. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

8 Replies 8

I'd call airbnb and explain the situation to them. At least then there's a documented case. They will probably reach out to the guests. If I were in your shoes, I'd tell airbnb I'd like to refund them for the rest of their stay - at that point there is a clear resolution and if they come back you don't need to feel like you owe them the spot. I get that it's nice to keep the income that they've paid, but if you can make the room available for the next guest and move on - all the better!

It sounds like you know what you're doing as a host if this is your first bad experience!

Keep a screen shot of all their texts as well. Have you messaged them to ask if they are coming back? Agree contact ABNB and see if they can resolve it for you. I would not give their money back. They left.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ben29

Please don't ever let people be rude to you in your own home and call you names. This is completely unacceptable.

Nor should they be leaving a mess around your house.

I hope this doesn't happen to you again, but if it does, reach out to BNB and ask them to find the guests somewhere else. Tell BNB that they are making you feel uncomfortable in your own home calling you names and being racist about the community you live in.

I would contact BNB and explain what has happened and that the guests wanted to leave early and that you explained you would be happy for them to do so but that this would be within the  terms of your cancellation policy.

If they have left the keys, then they won't be able to return so I wouldn't worry about this.

If they have paid for the remaining time I would imagine you can't relet the place unless they cancel.

If you have Instant Book turned on, I would turn it off and ensure you chat with guests before confirming a booking to ensure there is a good fit.

Best of luck Helen

JJ--Judith0
Level 2
San Juan Capistrano, CA

Hi Ben, they cound about 13 yrs old!  I had an 18 yr old "privledged' female from east coast , similar, and did take everything and leave on the 3rd day of a month rreservation , and also upset because of my stated refund policy, wanted to leave and go up to a friends place in LA (we are an hr and 1/2 south) , but took the key, and threatening to sublet the room, and sue.  AIRBNB support helped me immendsly by observing her threatening messsages on the platform, and I coped them her texts, then they intervened and gave her the rules and advice to stop it and return the keys asap.  She did a week later, but also received 1/2 her $$ back, appeased.  Do Get support on phone and get them to intervene. Good Luck! JJ

So sorry about all the typos in last message, heading out the door 😞

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ben29 Just have to ask the question...did you write a review?  Please help the rest of the host community to be aware of this unacceptable behavior.  Thank you

Thanks for that Linda! In Hobart Tasmania I have heard there are people who move into the house to  be a menace. This sharing community is seen as a threat by some. I hope we can work together to prevent these instances happening to any Airbnb hosts. Can anyone set up a contact with neighbours as an urgent response to an event like that?

Hi @Susan323  This is a bit off @Ben29 discussion thread, but in Tasmania there is a Home Sharing Club that is quite active regarding threats to short term rental business.  If you are not familiar with the Home Sharing Club, go to Discuss and select Home Sharing Club from the drop down.  Scroll to view all clubs and the Tasmania Club is toward the bottom.  You should find the support you need and every club has an Air BNB staff contact.