Guests leaving apartment dirty.

Roddy4
Level 2
Kirkton of Durris, United Kingdom

Guests leaving apartment dirty.

If a guest doesn’t observe house rules (No smoking and cigarette burns) and leaves the place dirty ( eg unwashed crockery and cutlery put away in cupboards, etc),  dirty floors and work surfaces, old food left out. should a superhost leave a bad review or just not leave a review? It’s a quandary about being responsible to other hosts v receiving a poor review in revenge.

24 Replies 24
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Roddy4

if every host would be afraid to leave an honest review then the whole review idea would be senseless.

You can wait until your guest write you a review or if he don't then you can write yours at the last moment ( 14 days after your guest checked out)

be factual, unemotional and short without too much details. You are writing this review for future hosts not for the guest.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Roddy4  Messy guests are a part of the biz, but I think it’s important to leave an honest review to let other hosts know what they are in for if they accept that guest in future. As a minimum you should say the guest demonstrated poor observance of house rules (smoking) and that it took considerably longer to clean up after they left. You technically shouldn’t have to fear a revenge review, since your review is not published until after they leave their review.

Roddy4
Level 2

@Ben551

thank you. I’d overlooked the publication dates actually. I’m very much aware that the review process is for hosts. It isn’t as straightforward though as @Branka-and-Silvia0 make out though as your Superhost status relies on maintaining an almost perfect set of reviews. This was the third time this particular guest stayed. First time was fine, second time was untidy but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I’ll need to make sure he can’t auto book in future. Thanks for the good response. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Roddy4 as @Ben551 says the guests won't be able to read your review until after they submitted a review themselves. So no reason to fear a revenge review. Always, always write an honest review to help future hosts 🙂

Roddy4
Level 2

@Sandra856

Fully agree with you which is actually why I raised the issue. As I mentioned to @Ben551 theres a quandary if the guest returns. In this case this was his third visit via autobook. 

I had forgotten about the publication dates for respective reviews. 

Appreciate your response though. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Roddy4 🙂

If you give the guest "thumbs down" and 3 stars or less in the star rating categories he won't be able to instant book with you anymore. He also probably won't be interested in staying with you again if you give him a bad review.

@Roddy4 I'm not quite sure what you mean with this sentence " It isn’t as straightforward though as @Branka & Silvia make out though as your Superhost status relies on maintaining an almost perfect set of reviews."? Could you explain?

@Roddy4 The thing is it doesn't affect you superhost status at all.

Roddy4
Level 2

@Sandra856

It does if you get a poor review. This was booked through a third party. 

@Roddy4 But the guest won't be able to read your review before after they have submitted their own. I'm not quite sure I understand you what you mean? 

Third part bookings are forbidden by airbnb. 

Under the Air BNB system, how will you be able to review this guest if this was a third party booking?  You would not be prompted to review the actual guest.  Was this guest part of a group and there was a booking guest?

I see that you are a relatively new host even though you have reached Super Host status.  I hope you will continue to use the forum to increase your understanding of hosting.  Good luck!!

Roddy4
Level 2

@Sandra856

As I mentioned in the very first post, I’d overlooked the submission dates. 

With respect to to the second part, third party bookings still happen regardless of whether they’re forbidden.  Unfortunately you aren’t aware of that until you meet the guest. 

@Roddy4 Some very experienced hosts like for instance @Branka-and-Silvia0 ask for ID when the guests arrive. That is also a way to make sure you don't get any third party bookings.

@Sandra856

yes, I ask them their photo ID on arrival, before I give them a key and then I discover if they are third party booking.

In this case, at least I know their identity and have 4 choices:

- call Airbnb to cancel

- or  take security deposit in cash ( bc ABB guarantee will not cover third party bookings)

- or let them stay at my own risk

- or call the person who made reservation and ask him to write it down on Airbnb message thread that he is responsible for any damage done by the group (it may work if it is a family member)

You would think that the first choice is the right one.... eeeee you are naive 🙂

If Airbnb cancel such resevation host will be punished by losing the money for the entire booking AND  his instant booking option will be turned off for 3 weeks. And host can't do anything about it because this is a new Airbnb experiment, and it is system generated and CS can't do anything about it.

Isn't that great? Host is punished for obeying Airbnb TOS.  Do we feel loved by Airbnb? Tomorrow is Valentine's day 🙂  ❤️ ❤️