Guests not reading the amenities

Victoria794
Level 2
Durban North, South Africa

Guests not reading the amenities

I have had guests not reading the amenities. One guest was so disappointed that we didn't have swimming pool, that she marked me down!  Another refused to check in as he hadn't realised we didn't have a TV!  Is this a common problem?

22 Replies 22

@Annette76  I guess it depends on what your target clientele is, and what brings people to your area.  Under some circumstances, a TV would be a nice thing to offer, but actually most of the Airbnbs I've stayed in have not had one.  This might have had something to do with my choice of destinations - like most tourists, I tend to visit places where there's a lot to do.

Funny thing is, even if I offered a TV, it would almost never get used - so it would be a huge waste of money. The overwhelming majority of my visitors have come from outside of Germany and aren't fluent in German, so the local programming won't interest them. Younger folks tend to travel with their own devices to watch things on, so the only amenity that's essential for their entertainment needs is WiFi.

@Annette76  i,m with you on this one, i have 7 televisions in a 4 bedroom house with one outside under patio,  i like to have everything covered to make the guests have a wonderful time, i never watch Netflix but a lot of my guests do so subscribe, on a rainy day guests stay in and watch television, i love reading newspapers and books but a lot of guests seem to rely on television for there entertainment , i dont drink wine but make sure there is a free bottle of wine plus beer for my guests.

The more you put in the more you get out of it.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

@Mark116 I’m guessing your STR is within your home, or at least within earshot, in which case I could see wanting to avoid loud, late night activities.  I think each host has to set up their space in a way that makes the guests stay enjoyable all while not infringing on their own lifestyle in a negative way. My space is a separate building, so I don’t hear the tv, or the Sonos if it’s being used. I also think you need to furnish and stock your space so that it reflects your area and what it offers. My place is in a remote area, the nearest town is a 15-20 minute drive. Almost no nightlife to speak of. Most of the guests coming to my area spend their days out and about, hiking, biking, visiting wineries or apple picking. They come home to spend their evenings in. I have stocked my kitchen with everything you would need to prepare a full meal. I also have some extras, a big green egg grill, an instapot, a smoothie blender, etc. no pasta maker yet! I have a good sizes smart tv as well as a good selection of dvds. Also board games and tons of jigsaw puzzles. Certain times of year we get in a pattern of thunderstorms so I like to be ready in case of outdoor options being limited.  As I can’t hear my guests, I don’t really care if they stay in or go out. Plus my space is really a couples retreat, it can sleep 4 in a pinch but that’s unusual. 

Jeff1632
Level 2
Wichita, KS

I had a guest complain they thought it was a 3 bedroom cottage. The first line in our description is this is a ONE bedroom cottage, then it goes on to say there is a roll away twin bed in the bedroom closet and a futon that can convert to a full size bed to accommodate a few additional guests. Even if they do not read you would think they would look at the pictures.  

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I have only ever had one guest in about 200 complain that we didn't have a TV in the room and our listing clearly shows we do not and TV access is specifically listed in the amenities as not provided.  I recall that guest actually, about 18 months ago, and he also showed up, saw there was a second room, and immediately had an issue with sharing the house with another guest.  Even though it is mentioned throughout our listing we have two rooms with shared spaces.

A more common issue is people arriving with dirty clothes and asking to use the washer and dryer.  We have one, in the basement which is a family only off limits area, and have never granted this area access to guests.  No laundry facilities is mentioned also in the listing and we just recently added it to the check-in message as well, after a guest tried to force their way into our basement with the door being locked.  We mainly don't grant access due to the water bill and how it would be astronomically high if we let every guest do loads of laundry unchecked.  Also the area of the house in the basement is where our children have their room and I have never wanted guests to be able to go into that area of the house.

@Anthony608 this is really interesting. In about 130 odd stays now I think we have had guests use the laundry twice. I wish they WOULD launder towels and sheets but certainly don't expect that. We are on a well so we don't pay for water and leave detergent pods and dryer sheets. I don't think anyone has ever asked us about that!

@Laura2592- Something of a followup to our thread, I just had a prospective guest send me a profanity laced message after he booked and asked if we had a TV.  I told him there were no TVs in the room, per the listing, and he immediately cancelled then sent a message about who in the world doesn't have a TV, but using more colorful language.  All of this even with the Amenities clearly stating no TV and no TV in the photos of the room either on the listing.  I thought about reporting him to AirBNB, but chose to let it go.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guests have asked if we have a pool. We don't. There is not one pictured nor listed anywhere. Pools are not automatic features in my neck of the woods, so I am not sure why some guests think they are.

We have been asked if we have coffee makers. We do-- a regular drip and Nespresso machine. These are pictured and listed. Guests miss that.

There is really no rhyme or reason to what people expect when they walk into your space. Many have a fantasy in their heads and are disappointed when your space does not fit their ideal, no matter how well you describe it. Luckily many guests will say "oh my fault. I didn't read." But there are some who are really puzzling and will mark YOU down for how you failed to live up to their technicolor Oz dream. Welcome to the age of Karen (and Bob, because I don't think its fair to imply that only women are entitled and clueless. I have had plenty of this from both genders.)