Guests 'overall' rating

Calli4
Level 2
Sway, United Kingdom

Guests 'overall' rating

How is it fair that guests are asked to rate objective categories and then are allowed to give you an 'overall' star rating based on their subjective experience.  I am sick of guests giving me 5 star for every category and only a 4 for the overall. 

Hosts (who by nature, probably write more reviews) no longer have the ability to give an overall rating.   The rating is worked out on the average of the categories, so why should guests be able to tarnish a star rating with their subjective 'overall' star rating.  TIME IT WAS WORKED OUT FROM THE AVERAGE OF EACH CATEGORY LIKE THE HOSTS RATINGS.  COMPLETELY UNFAIR.

23 Replies 23
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Calli4 I can never understand how in a place that every category is 5* you can have overall 4* experience. That depends on what kind of person someone is and how satisfied are they with things in life.  I have had guests that told me they were very pleased with the apartment but weren't satisfied with their vacation overall because they had a massive fight between them..how am responcible for that. 

Calli4
Level 2
Sway, United Kingdom

Exactly! It’s not your fault if it rains for their stay or they have an argument or get sick. It’s about the accuracy of your house description. 

Hi Calli, Hi Ana, 

I am relieved to read that i am not the only one for who this most illogical thing happens. This start to happen to me since 2 weeks ago, after my 40th guests. I talk with airbnb, they clearly failed to explain what is going on. Also, i politly asked my guests, and they denied that they give me 4 stars in any category. They confirm they give me 5 stars on the 6 categories they had to rate. So the question remains, how airbnb do to turn the average of 5 stars onto 4? Since this doesn't reflect guests opinion, and why airbnb doesn't just turn the overall rating onto automatic formula base on the average nombers of stars given on the 6 categories guests have to rate? Also, i have a screenshot showing my guests overall rating as 5 stars, and a second screenshot of the same guests displaying 4 stars. The only conclusion i can say is that, the airbnb system of rating has a technical problem  which turn onto transparency problem. While we hosts invests time, money to deserve our superhost stars, airbnb rating system scrap it. 

Hi @Kalio0 🙂

Your guests rate you in all the small categories + the overall category. The overall category is not an average of the sub categories.

Maybe you could post the screenshots you got?

Best, Sandra 

@Kalio0 Also if your guest only rate you in the overall category and decides not to rate you in the small categories it will show 5 stars.

Screenshot_20190507_133756.jpg

@Calli4 @Betzy2 @Kalio0 Also read this :Screenshot_20190507_133738.jpg

@Susan17@Sandra856, @Calli4 Nooooooooo - Not this rumor again! I though that was put to rest.

@Emilia42 Is it not like this anymore?

Absolutely not a rumour @Emilia42. i've seen it with my own eyes. Many times. I have screenshots saved somewhere in my files, just trying to remember where. I'll see if I can find them later. 

Ah! Just noticed that @Sandra856 has already posted a similar screenshot above. Saves me from having to trawl through my albums. Thanks Sandra! 🙂

Betzy2
Level 2
Tasman, New Zealand

Just happened to me for the first time. Very unfair system. 

Donna316
Level 4
Tasman, New Zealand

Yes I had my first overall 3 the other month when the other catagories they put 5s and a 4 I think.  The guests should only be allowed to put an overall score of no lower than their lowest individual catagory rating.  The whole rating system is not good!

Hi @Donna316 🙂

My guess is that your guests simple did not know how the rating system is set up. In europe people think especially those in the age of 50 + that 3 =okay/ordinary, 4 = fine/above average, 5 is perfection/deluxe. The average in europe is much lower than the US average as people in europe don't know that giving less than 5 is dowrating.

I always write to my guests if I get a lower rating asking if there was something I could do to improve /something was not as they expected/described in the listing. All of them wrote me back telling me they didn't know and if they could now change the ratings. I explain how the system is set up and add this article from Forbes. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-re...

Then at least next time they rent an airbnb they are aware. 

Best, Sandra