Guests "Gaming the System".

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Guests "Gaming the System".

Well, I just had my first "unconventional" hosting experience. 

A gentleman with quite a few reviews (which tells me he's a frequent AirBNBer, unlike most of my guests so far) made a reservation a week ago. 

He confirmed with me this morning that he would be arriving at 3 pm, which he did. He texted me directly on my phone at 3:10 to let me know he'd checked in. I replied with a simple welcome to my space message to acknowledge. His next text message to me was to tell me he might want to invite his daughter and a friend to come stay with him.  Again, outside of AirBNB messaging services. I responded to him through AirBNB's messenger, quoting his original message, and responded that because the other two were not listed as guests, this would be a liability to me and I couldn't allow it. He then replied through AirBNB that he "forgot" to update the number of guests to 3.  He had this reservation for a week and forgot until 10 minutes after he arrived. He didn't even remember to tell me this morning when he contacted me. Uh huh. So I send him the link for the guest to alter the reservation. He tells me that when he hears back from the other guests IF they are coming, he will update the reservation.  Of course, once a guest checks in, I as a host cannot adjust the reservation.

I was concerned about the changing stories, and I didn't want to wait around waiting to see if I had to set up for 2 additional people.  (My listing specifically states I need advance notice for more than 2) so I contacted AirBNB on Twitter. They tell me to allow the additional guests if possible. I said he is keeping me in limbo and cannot confirm the guests. They asked if I wanted them to intervene and I said yes. I need a confirmation by 9 pm today.

They contact him and he informs AirBNB that the additional guests won't be arriving until tomorrow. So naturally, AirBNB only charges him for 2 days of additional guests instead of 3, even though if he had done it through AirBNB to begin with, he would have had to pay for 3 additional days at $30 each instead of 2.  I had the additional hassle of getting the place ready for 2 more on VERY short notice, and I lose out on the funds for the 3rd day. *sigh*

15 Replies 15
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Stephanie365 you, as the host, absolutely can adjust the reservation after the guest checks in. It's no problem, in the reservation click the change/cancel button

Sorry you got scammed & btw, the answer also can be: 'sorry, we prepped for 1, you cannot add 2 more at this late date'

I did click the change/cancel button, made the adjustments and it gave me a red notice that said (something to the effect of), "S---- has already checked in. You cannot make changes once the guest has arrived". 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Stephanie365That whole scene is very common in my neck of the woods. Someone missed the plane, forgot passport, lost passport, be arriving tomorrow, changed their minds, another family member replace 'Aunt Judy', another friend insisted on coming at the last moment, etc etc. I get them to the island and then send in the adjustments to Airbnb.

It was more the changing story that concerned me.

First he said he'd like to invite them after he had arrived. Which to me, means he had not yet invited them. This was via direct text not AirBNB Messenger.

THEN, when replying through AirBNB Messenger he says he forgot to put the correct number of guests in when he made the reservation (a week ago).  Implying that this was the intent all along.

And when I gave him the link to change it himself, he tells me he's still waiting for them to let him know if they're even coming. (roll eyes)

I'm envisioning a high-maintenance guest, too. He was gone most of the evening and at 9 pm messages me that it's cold and the air coming out of the vents isn't warm.  Well, that's what heatpumps do. I can't change that. (I explained it nicely to him, though) He had also closed all the doors inside the apartment so there was no air circulating to allow the heat to exchange.  Thermostat said it was 72 in the apartment. I bumped it to 74.

And finally, even though he's an experienced AirBNBer (more than 12 reviews), he also asked me about smoking. I don't allow it anywhere on my property due to my allergies and the flammable nature of being on a farm. I could smell it on him and was losing my voice just standing near him talking to him as my throat closed. It's my #1 House Rule. And he "missed" it.   I told him unfortunately, due to my allergy, he needed to walk to the end of the driveway to smoke (200 ft away). 

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Oh, and he only lives about 50 miles away in Alexandria, VA.  

A mystery shopper checking on you, @Stephanie365?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

@Marzena4, that thought did occur to me before he ever arrived as his AIRBNB stays are all within 50 miles of where he lives.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Interesting case. Perhaps stays at other places just to 'fabricate' a reason to sabotage them. Then I would go about it as cold-blooded as dealing with a wolf in sheep's clothing. Best to put it on defensive mode from start to finish.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

@Fred13, that is why I involved AirBNB right away and my entire conversation with both AirBNB and Simo are written conversations. And I stated to AirBNB multiple times my concerns and even told them straight up I felt he was gaming the system. 

Good thinking. Imagine if this was the case, how crazy is that? I swear, anything is possible nowadays.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It's just like some "members" here are sent from hell...

He might be a competitor as well, @Stephanie365

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Looking at his other reviews he has left, they have been favorable. The reviews for him, for the most part have also been favorable. 

I am wondering more and more if he's not a mystery shopper since every place he has stayed is less than an hour from where he supposedly lives in Alexandria. Things that make you go "hmmmm"

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

@Marzena4, well the irony of it all is he was acosted by Jehovah's Witnesses this morning in the driveway. LOL!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Strange. The only reasons I get locals are business / traing / medical reason, to avoid even a short trip in the morning, third party booking for a family member and dispute with spouse. 

Maybe he has a hell of a marriage?