Guide Book

Guide Book

This topic has been raised before but always seems to die out without being properly answered or resolved.

The problem (for us) is as follows -

With listing in edit mode, the creation of the guide book works ok. It can also be updated and edited ok. But with the listing in preview mode, and/or when using search to find our listing, the guide book is not posted. It is not visible to the guest before or after they make a reservation or after they check in.

I have reported the problem to AB, and after mutliple hand-offs to "experts" they finally admitted it was a bug and it would be submitted for correction. However no timeframe was given or estimated and we have heard nothing since after several months. (As a side note reported problems should be given a ticket number so that on future contacts the problem details can be accessed by the support rep, and not started from scratch again. Basic!!)

I check frequently but nothing has changed and the problem still exists. Other hosts have offered the theory that it might be because we are in Asia (Thailand ) and the feature is not available here. but I would like a definitive answer on this and of course a correction that allows this very useful feature. Without it we have to seperately create something similar and provide it for guests when they check-in, but if it is on the listing it would certainly help to attract potential guests who are browsing.

Any feedback, comments or solutions welcomed!

Edward

Koh Samui , Thailand

21 Replies 21

Update on new host guidebook feature.

After further investigation I discover that although the new Guidebook appears on our listing when viewed on MacOS (using Safari browser) it does not appear on the listing when viewed on IOS (iPhone or iPad) or on Android phones and tablets. I have not checked any Windows devices yet.

Hopefully this will be corrected soon, but for the moment it means the feature is not very useful as most guests/travellers will be accessing the listing using the Airbnb App on IOS or Android mobile devices.

Any other host feedback or experiences welcomed ...

When you go to print your guidebook (using the method you describe - which is the one I use as well) are any changes/edits you make to your guidebook carrying over? This is the problem I'm currently having. For example, I deleted a shop that has closed and added a few new suggestions to the guidebook in two seperate sessions of editing. None of those changes have carried over to the printable version available through our method of accessing it. I'm looking for a way to make that printable version update.

From what I can see the old guidebook is no longer active and probably therefore cannot be updated. Maybe why your updates are not being saved.

The new guidebook that is shown on your listing in edit mode, can be editted but for some reason cannot be printed. I have tried many ways to get it to print but without success. But there is a new option "share" - if you go to "(your name)'s guidebook" from the listing , on the cover page you will see options to "edit", "share" or "delete". No print option. Share offers you "copy link, facebook, twitter, email."  so you can email or message the link to anyone. Then they can access it - but after accessing it this way, still not possible to print based on my experiments. AB seem to have decided to block printing for some strange reason.

Still waiting for a description of the new guidebook features and how it is designed to work from AB, but nothing so far. 

I went to print my guidebook today (as some of my guests like the paper copy to write on to make plans)... and the print option is gone.  I messaged the support team and this is their reply:

With the advent of most users now having mobile devices to connect to Airbnb, the company sadly removed the option to print your guidebook, since many guests now view it from their tablet or phone. 

I then sent a message to ther feedback department .... it costs Airbnb zero to put a print option for hosts.  So, apparantly if hosts want a printable guidebook, they will have to create/build one on their own.  I don't know about other hosts, but I already spent time building my guidebook on the Airbnb site - and having to recreate it using Word, Publisher, whatever, is not a good use of my time!  

Lara55
Level 2
Seattle, WA

The guidebook that we've been creating for two years has suddenly disappeared. i went to edit it, and it was gone, there was only the option to create a new guidebook. I clicked that and now it seems it overwrote our hundreds of entries. I'm somewhat devastated because we spent SO MUCH time creating a super detailed and insider guide to Seattle! 

We experienced the same - old guidebook deleted and previous content not transferred. In our case fortuneately we had kept a copy outside of AB for emailing to guests, so were able to cut/paste entries to the new book.

This is a very poor and unprofessional partial implementation from AB software development, even though it seems the new feature will be an improvement when/if it is complete.

No advice that this new host guidebook was to be released. No ability to transfer the old data to the new one. According to our investigation the new guidebook does not appear on listings when viewed by guests or potential guests on iPhone/iPad (IOS) or on Android based moblies.

AB need to implement best practices for application updates and releases as used by other software companies, including version numbers and release notes. Without this users will continue to experience this kind of disruption and potential loss of data, which is not good enough! 

I am preparing a report to submit as "feedback" , even though previous attempts to use that channel have resulted in zero response and no apparent action. 

Eugen10
Level 3
Bucharest, Romania

I've been hosting on Airbnb for the past two years now and noticed people are both happy and annoyed with Airbnb's guidebook solution so far (including ourselves), so we developed an alternative guidebook for our own use and eventually ended up making it into a product, so, I present you, [drum rolls] HouseGuide: https://www.houseguideapp.com

Hope that helps!