Hacking

Hacking

Hi

I wonder whether this has happened to anyone else. Messages have been sent to my guests that were not sent by me, they are the spam emails saying my account has been hacked and they have videos and to pay them bitcoin etc etc, the usual guff. They are showing up in my guests inboxes as from me. It has happened on 5 separate occasions and my guests (and me) are getting annoyed!

Airbnb say it is my email account that has been hacked, not my Airbnb, but these messages are not showing up anywhere else and it is only Airbnb guests that have received them and I get a lot of bookings from outwith Airbnb.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you resolve it? Airbnb not really helping in spite of the thousands of pounds I pay them to be on this site.

Hopefully someone can help me?

Many thanks

Eugenie

Scotland

7 Replies 7
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Eugenie20  have you changed your password?

Yes, many times.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Eugenie20 change your email and Airbnb passwords, if you haven't.

Do the messages appear in your "sent" email folder or your Airbnb platform message threads?

Yup have changed the passwords many times. They are in the Airbnb platform message threads to guests, seemingly from me, but not actually from me.

I've now changed the email address and am in the process of changing passwords associated with the email address that I was using, time consuming but hopefully will sort it. i just think it's weird that it's only my Airbnb guests if my email address was compromised.

@Eugenie20  Can you see the messages on the Airbnb platform?

Yes!

Tash527
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Happened to me this morning. I woke up to 400 emails in my gmail account from various companies that I had supposedly signed up and subscribed to.   Two of the emails were AirBNB notifications that they had sent a few cents to verify a new bank account that I was authorizing.  So I logged into AirBNB, and my account had been logged into 4 times from a Windows computer through the evening, a second bank account (in China) had been set up and was almost verified.  Called AirBNB, changed my password, removed those devices from having access, removed the bank account, and changed my password on all of my other main apps that I use and set up an auto-reply on my email to notify people that I was hacked.  Not feeling very confident about AirBNB's security.