Have any Superhosts received an invite to apply for the $5,000 grant scheme?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Have any Superhosts received an invite to apply for the $5,000 grant scheme?

It seems each time the CEO has a video session he has some grand offers he is so exited to share with his partners.

I believe some hosts who are active here on the CC have received the promised compensation for reservation cancellations from a $250 M  compensation fund.

I can understand that the $25-$50 offered here or there would not be too onerous for the company to honour baring in mind the claimable window was set to very narrow parameters.

What I would be interested to find out, has any Superhost received an invitation to apply for the (up to $5,000) compensation grant that the CEO went to great pains to promote back at the start of April. 

Superhost relief fund 2.png

There is a certain psychology behinds words and statements and the way they are formed!

I smelled a rat when I read the first line of the eligibility criteria........

Superhost relief fund.png

"There are hundreds of thousands of Superhosts around the world"........really!! All reliable estimates suggest their are between 650,000 and 700,000 Airbnb hosts around the world of which 10-15% are Superhosts.

Obviously an opening statement like that is designed to prime Superhosts up not to be too disappointed if that invite doesn't come.....there after all 'hundreds of thousands' of Superhosts in the mix here.

There may have been a dollar or two on offer here robbed from the employees incentive scheme but it would be really interesting to hear if any one of Superhosts who are active here on the CC have received that illusive invite! 

I am active on a couple of other sites so I will keep hosts here posted if I should actually come across anyone who has received one of these mysterious invites!

Cheers......Rob

115 Replies 115

@Anonymous   It may start becoming apparent when there is a bigger sample of hosts getting invited.    If folks are willing to share the information. 

I always assumed the bulk of the Superhost Grant that will be given to *select* hosts would be hosts from western countries - mostly U.S. hosts. Even though Airbnb is considered a global platform many policies and rules and amentity options are EXTREMELY U.S.-centric. 

And of course....obviously~ one of the most important criteria will be how Instagramable the listing and the host are. This I have no doubt about it. 

Airbnb has never been transparent about anything......... they certainly aren't going to start now. One of the first things that really irritated me when I was starting out as a guest user (and still makes me roll my eyes) is  the wording "full refund minus fees" because in my book if fees aren't refunded then that's not what I'd consider a full refund, and Airbnb should NOT be claiming it's  a full refund if fees aren't refunded. This kind of misleading and intentionally contradictory wording is soooo rampant in all of Airbnb's policies and communications it's annoying as h***. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0

.. and that 25% recompense from the $250 million relief fund, that's really 12.5%? Well, it's not actually 12.5% either, because they're taking their service fees from that too.. 

@Susan17 

Another perfect example of Airbnb's communication style - intentionally misleading and inaccurate. 

Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

I for one have not received an invite, and though I only have my spare bedroom to share, this has been a huge hunk of my retirment income, like it has for many others I am sure.  I do not expect to receive anything from this.

Grace681
Level 1
Roseville, Australia

I’d like to know whether someone received compensation for reservation cancellations from a $250 M Or not.

Hello Host from all the World 🙂

Greetings from Algarve, Portugal.

I received an email from Airbnb tonight with the compensation of 7 cancellations, from April and May, but it was not 25%, was 12.5%.

Waiting patiently in limbo land...hoping we will receive some compensation from our cancellations as well as the invitation to apply for the grant. Covid19 is severely effecting us financially the longer it goes on. Just treading water...looking for other opportunities...being positive and trying not to worry....loving feeling settled living in our house with our kids and not having to move out every weekend and float around in limbo during this lockdown though. Always a flip side 😉 Very grateful for that. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya all,

I thought it would be worth sharing the latest on the Superhost relief fund:

The invitation process works by inviting our most long-standing Superhosts in financial need (looking at their earnings decline from this year to last) first. Invited hosts will have a 7 day window to apply. We are sending invites each week from now until May 15th.

Sorry that the timing has been staggered from the original plan but rest assured we have already been sending invites out and will continue to do so. 

Do let me know if you have any questions at all,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie   

Brian Chesky said in this video appearance on april 28th, that was 2 days ago:

• We've sent out 4000 invitations so far by email, invites will be sent out every week through mid may. Everyone who applies we'll reply within 2 weeks.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Correct @Ute42  🙂

Here's a bit more info on that one:

How do invites work?

We started sending out invites in mid-April and we will be sending them weekly through Mid-May to eligible hosts around the world. We’re prioritizing invitations based on how long people have been a Superhost and how significantly their earnings have been impacted due to COVID-19. That means, most invitations so far have gone to people who have been Superhosts for 4+ years. All invites will be sent by mid-May, and if you’re invited to apply, you’ll get an email with a link to the application. 

A specialized team is reviewing every application and keeping hosts' information discreet. Everyone who applies will get a response within 2 weeks, and grants will range from $1,000 to $5,000.

Vielen danke,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I was praying and wishing so much to receive that invitation!

But I’m only a superhost 15 times in a row, so maybe is not enough 😞

I am very grateful that you (Airbnb) had this initiative.

My life is turned upside down with all this and I lost 100% of my income, because I work exclusively with Airbnb for 4 years, with 2 bedrooms in my house, the house where I was born.

Very honestly I can only say good things about the Airbnb platform and the way I was always well attended by the assistants, who always solved my problems.

……… I hope you don't forget me  🙂

Thank you

I, too, loved being a host and was always treated well by Airbnb. But, don't think they're handling this crisis well, unfortunately.

@Stephanie 

In the german CC today we had the first report from a fellowhost in Switzerland to receive a payment out of the fund.

2020-04-30 Heinz bekommt Geld von airbnb.jpg

As it looks, the sortorder of payments is not „America first“.

@Ute42  But of course, whenever there's a blight in the world economy, it's those poor Swiss that suffer the most.