Have you ever had a guest research you?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Have you ever had a guest research you?

Weird situation. Wanting some feedback...

We recently had a guest make some comments about properties we own which are not Airbnb. It was clear that this guest had researched where we live (our AIrbnb is not our primary residence and we are not on site) and a long term rental we own/how long we have owned these places, what we bought them for, etc. This individual made some guesses about our net worth to my husband and surmised whether we were "young and irresponsible or doing well." When my husband, taken aback, asked if the person was an investor or involved with real estate in the area, they just scoffed, said they were retired and "knew where to find information." This was a conversation at a lock out situation and not captured in Airbnb. We do not advertise anything about these properties anywhere in our Airbnb, nor would there be any reason for a guest to be familiar with our real estate holdings. 

Personally? I think its creepy and a little invasive. I know you can find out information pretty readily, but why would a guest need to know this? Its made me wonder about the level of information sharing on Airbnb. Maybe I am overreacting? This has not been our kindest guest and it may just be a personality mismatch. But wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. 

5 Replies 5
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592 I agree that it's creepy, and totally inappropriate.  Of course people can find a lot of information about most of us once they have our full names, but there's no reason to send messages like that.  I think I've only had one guest in five years of hosting who mentioned after his stay that he had discovered what my day job was, but he was in a related business and just wanted to mention that we probably knew people in common.  I hope you shut down the conversation pronto!

@Ann72  I wish I had a record of it, but this guest locked himself/his wife out, couldn't find the key, and my husband did a lock out trip where this conversation took place. My husband is very easy going and said it made him "uncomfortable" and that he didn't know quite how to respond. I am glad the conversation didn't happen to me. I am still freaked out by it. Maybe I shouldn't be, but it seems very odd. 

@Laura2592 It's definitely an overstepping of boundaries.  Some people - maybe a lot of people - don't respect boundaries as well as others.  I don't think anything bad will come of it, though.  

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Laura2592 🙂

I think I would mention the situation in the private feedback to the guests telling them that it made you feel very uncomfortable. 

It is really strange and an odd behaviour! 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I certainly hope you mark him down in "communication".

While commonplace and legal, no one should disclose snooping/stalking to the target.

Sorry guy's a creep