Have you ever made anything for your listing?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Have you ever made anything for your listing?

Made anything.jpg

Hello everyone,

Over the years of knowing many of you, I have noticed we have quite a creative group of people here in the CC. Many of you have great flare with the paint brush creating artworks for your walls, some of you have constructed your own furniture, knit beautiful blankets and some of you have even built the whole house. 🙂

These personal touches can really make your listing feel like a home.

Have you ever created anything for yours and do they ever become a talking point with your guests?

It would be great to hear your experiences.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

66 Replies 66
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I did not make furniture myself, but renovated some old and broken furniture to new. Especcially unpainted wooden (pinewood) furniture like beds, tables, chairs can be renovated to almost new by repairing, sanding and add new vernis or oil, wax  etc..... Also wood quality and construction quality is mostly much better then what you buy new in store nowadays.

But recently found an simple Ikea wooden drawer cabinet (somebody simply threw it on the street !), collected the parts (drawers) in a circle of appr. 20 mtr around it, renovated it and now it's even looking better then when it was originally sold as new !3809.jpg

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emiel0 great to see others making use of second hand furniture.

As they say, one person's trash is another person's treasures.

Do they still do regular collections of unwanted furniture etc in the streets in Netherlands/ Holland?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's looking great @Emiel1, I love a bit of up-cycling. 🙂 

I like that the wooden slats on the side are vertical–it adds some extra character. 

Have you done this with quite a lot of your furniture?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

That’s  impressive!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lizzie, I am going to post something, but I'm fully aware that Ben (I can't figure out how to do the @ thing when they're not in the drop-down list!) made most of his beautiful house from wood pallets he found on the road, so basically I'm a slacker no matter what lol.

I made the silver velvet cushion covers and the patchwork cover with ties.  No one has mentioned them directly, but most guests comment on the decor.  🙂 

DIAGONAIR-CABIN-BEDROOM_Overview_with_Low_Window.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

My immediate reaction to your photo was that it looks like a very clean and fresh room, so I think your decor is working like a treat, @Ann72

Have you made covers for other cusions in your home?

--------------------

@Lizzie, I have!  But most of what I make I give to friends and family.  It's just fun to do!

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Lizzie I've made all the curtains, throw pillows, shams, some wall hangings and quilts that are used in our guest areas. I like to sew and decorate. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds great, @Beth80. You sound very talented. I've taught myself to knit a few years ago and have knitted some scarves, but I'm still very much a beginner.  Any tips? I'm all ears 🙂 

--------------------

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie@Beth80@Ann72@Emiel1

Excellent topic, does my wee Garden count?

I used to do a lot of creative things but haven't done so in recent years for a variety of reasons.

Some of my guests have commented on the paintings/ Artwork I have in my house which are creative pieces from school days and various friends.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Of course, gardens can be a work of art @Helen427 and they can certainly bring a lot of happiness. Are there any nice green treats in your garden? 

What types of things did you use to create Helen? 🙂

--------------------

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie @Quincy@Ava@everyoneelse

The wasps have been eating my monarch caterpillars which is most unfortunate... Oh the ecological systems...

My gardens not looking so good at the moment but I did have lovely Christmas lilies - pink and yellow ones, sweet peas and I've Spring onions that keep on giving and a mix of Geraniums and the ever so delightful Mexican Daisy to remind me of Mexico!!

I used to make most of my own clothes until my wardrobe decided I simply didn't need any more clothes... It's so economical to make one's own and very satisfying.

I've also been known to make my own Millinery to match my outfits for special occasions.

What one saves on clothes one could spend on shoes and travel!!

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Lizzie, So far, I have made several doilies for our home, 2 examples here, the curtains in our front bedroom as seen in picture, the wrap around shower curtain. Not shown, curtains in the living room and kitchen, a specific size bed sheet set for the couch, the fold away bed and the pack n play crib. Protective undersheets for all the twin beds from a never ending commercial bolt of Gore Tex I acquired years ago. My plan is to eventually make curtains for the entire house to give it the complete homey feel of your cool grandparents home. So far that aesthetic is working. Pretty much everyone respects Grandma’s house. ;o) Even with a couple of guests we would never allow back, they generally respected the house itself and did no damage. They were uncool in other ways but that is a story for another time.  And Yes, people have commented that it was like staying with Gran, Granny, Gramma, etc and it brought on very happy memories.  The older folks that stay with us just say it feels completely comfortable and they are very much at home. 69A15D57-F0EC-4BCF-BD78-56093C1E34B5.jpeg

Whoa! That's some crochetting! Though my color scheme and style's quite different, I can very much appreciate the detail on them and the fact that I'm sure they provide a lot of tactile sensory stimuli !