Help! Airbnb has posted an inaccurate automated negative response on my host review page.

Sarah573
Level 1
Leavenworth, WA

Help! Airbnb has posted an inaccurate automated negative response on my host review page.

I have tried to contact Airbnb regarding this  situation and I am not getting anywhere.  Plese advise.

I have had 2 separate reservation requests where the person making the reservation made an instant booking that was against the rules and I have been penalized for cancelling the reservation.  

The first time I was caught off guard and I let it go and did not ask the guest to cancel until she had already rescheduled once and her family member called me to discuss the reservation.  This made me very uncomfortable so I looked up the Airbnb rules and realized that Airbnb members are not allowed to make reservations for which they will not personally attend.  I messaged this guest and asked her to cancel and I refunded her money.

The second time this happend, the member instant booked a reservation for his friends.  Here is the message history:

Joseph:  

Hi Sarah,

I'm booking a mini-moon for one of my friends for him and his new wife.  Your property looks perfect for their getaway!

Me:

Hi Joseph,

I would love to host your friends but I only rent directly to Airbnb customers- not their friends.  Unless you will be staying in the unit yourself, you will need to cancel this reservation.  I would like to encourage your friends to open an airbnb account and book our property for their trip!  I usually give new airbnb customers the benefit of the doubt if they dont have any reviews.

Best,

Sarah

So now this review is posted at the top of my reviews:

"Host cancelled this reservation 15 days before arrival.  This is an automated posting"

Also, everytime I open my airbnb dashboard it says that I am in danger of having my listing suspended.

How is it that airbnb is punishing the hosts for the mistakes of guests?  

Thank you,

Sarah

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah573

Sarah - all the platform sees is a cancellation. Never ever cancel yourself - contact AirBnB and ask them to do it on your behalf. The platform is not sophisticated enough to know why you are cancelling and if it is a reasonable thing to do etc.

I would contact AirBnB and ask them to remove these messages as it does look bad on your listing to have two such automated posts. 

Good luck

Gerry and Rashid,

Thank you for your response.  Any idea as to how I contact them?  I just keep getting sent to the help center.  I can't even find a direct email or phone number.

Thanks!

you can contact them on several ways : https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highl...

ps

if your guest wants to cancel and you get  a message from Airbnb something like this: "Your guest wants to cancel, do you agree? " Then do not agree because then he will cancel on your behalf. He will get his service fee back but you will be punished .

He have to cancel on his behalf

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah573

We understand, and that is bad luck for you Sarah but, the automated posting on your page is accurate, the cancellation came from your side not the guest.

Now having said that you have every right to apply to Airbnb to remove that penalty. You are quite right, 3rd party bookings are against Airbnb policy! You did the right thing as far as booking policy is concerned but, you should have contacted Airbnb, and if you had they would have removed the booking without penalising you.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 have given you the link to all the various ways of contacting Airbnb including the phone numbers. Get onto them and they will, I am sure, ammend this for you. Also keep that link handy or print it out for futuer reference.

The only major downside of this will be, you will not be considered for Superhost status in the assessment that is currently taking place, where as you may very well have acheived that badge had it not been for this unfortunate event.

Sarah, host cancellations are a big deal! If ever there is a situation where a hosting should not take place always speak to Airbnb first. Here is what happens if you cancel a booking.

Host cancellation penalties.png

The other way you can get caught out Sarah was also mention by Branka and Silvia. Do not accept a cancellation from Airbnb on your behalf. What happens here is, the guest for one reason or another wants to cancel and Airbnb have told the guest the only way they can have all their money returned including the service fees is if the host accepts responsibility for the cancellation!

You will receive from Airbnb an email that looks something like this.......

Cancellation notice.png

You think. 'good ol Airbnb, they have taken care of it for me'! No they haven't!! If you don't respond to this saying you do not agree to this cancellation and get the guest to do it, then you will be penalised....the big three words here are  "on your behalf"!

This is a bit long Sarah but as well as being told what to do, you should also understand why you have to do things a certain way.

Get onto Airbnb and get them to remove that posting for you....ok

Cheers.....Rob

Robin-

Thank you so much.  I had no idea that cancellations were this subtly complicated.  I know exacty what to do now!!!

Very best,

Sarah