Holding dates hasn't worked

Ruth372
Level 2
Inverness, United Kingdom

Holding dates hasn't worked

Hello, I am fairly new to this so need some help. I have pre-approved and held dates an hour ago for one guest I am having a conversation with about local facilities. A second guest has sent me a Request which is Pending as I haven't responded.  Against my first guest enquiry it now says 'Not Possible' which I understadn means that those dates are not now available. Why is that? Thanks in advance. 

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ruth372,

A Request reserves the dates until declined or expired, an Inquiry does not touch the dates, even when it is pre-approved.

You said "i have pre-approved and held dates", what do you mean by this ? Did you block the dates manually after the pre-approval ? Then you did it not correcly, otherwise the Request could not have been there....

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1 Could it be that @Ruth372 thinks that pre approving an inquiry reserves the dates to the guest? It doesn't @Ruth372 you are saying " it is okay with me you book - you are welcoming the guest to book but doesn't reserve the dates. If someone then sends an actual request it will overrule the inquiry.

Ruth372
Level 2

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I manually checked the box that said Hold Dates for the person and underneath it says "Block guests from booking these dates instantly until the pre-approval expires". When I look at the message page that box is still checked. So I'm still confused as to how I have a pending request from another person for those dates....Mnay Thanks for your help. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ruth372 

"block guests from booking these dates instantly".

It's about Instant Book. The request you received is NOT an Instant Booking, but a "normal" request, blocking the dates. If you want the dates free again you have two options:

1. decline the request

Or

2. Ask the guest to withdraw the request.

But if the firsts guest (the pre-approved) will not make the booking, you will be left with empty pocket by turning away the Request.....

Best regards,

Emiel

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Ruth372 another tip. If someone sends you an inquiry just reply as fast as possible. It is not necessary to ever press the decline buttom. It will hurt your ranking. Just reply and your "response rate" will stay good. I never press the decline buttom myself 🙂 

I think I have seen a way to preapprove with the option to reserve the dates for that guest for 24 hours?  I never choose that so I am not sure at all.

In this case if you want the first guest to be able to book (even though they may not decide to ever do so) you will need to decline the Request.  That will open up the dates.  If the pre-approved guest then still shows as Not Possible, that means that they have chosen a different listing and booked with them instead.

I would chat with the Request and accept it if it is suitable.  The preapproved guest didn't request so they are no longer first in line. 

Thank you, this is making more sense to me now. Appreciate you help. 

Ruth372
Level 2

Thank you, that's helpful to know 🙂

Ruth372
Level 2

Thank you 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ruth372  "Not possible" doesn't necessarily mean the dates are blocked. That designation will pop up when a guest has withdrawn the Inquiry, the 24 hours has expired since the guest sent the Inquiry, or they have booked elsewhere. Unless you really want a certain guest based on your messaging with them, you shouldn't just block dates for an Inquiry, as many guests send out lots of Inquiries and you never hear back from them again. In the meantime, you could have lost a potential booking. If you're not using instant book, and guest have to either send an Inquiry or booking request, what I've done is let the guest who sent an Inquiry know that if they want to book after getting a message back from me answering any questions they might have, that they should get on the booking, as a request to book will take precedence.

Maureen327
Level 1
Germiston, South Africa

Hi All, I've just had the same thing happen.  I've held an enquiry for 24 hours as the guest is waiting for money from airB&B due to a previous cancellation.  I extended the request for another 24 hours and today received an instant booking for now the same dates. I guess this is the norm when you only have an enquiry and not a confirmed reservation?

Kat7408
Level 2
St Peters, Australia

Hi, I know I'm late to this conversation, but I've just had exactly the same situation occur - if I decline the second request (to accommodate the first one - which is my preference) will I be penalised? This is my first booking, so I'm quite stressed about it! 🙂