Host guarantee

Sue664
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

Host guarantee

Hi! I'm a new host with Air BnB.  Has anyone had to make a claim for breakage, theft or personal injury through Air Bnb's Host Guarantee.  I've been told that it is wise to take out a Landlords Insurance separately.  Welcome any advice. Regards, Sue.

9 Replies 9
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi @Sue664 and welcome to Airbnb and the host community forum!

While I've had no problems so far with guests requiring compensation (knock on wood), from the stories I have read here, Airbnb does not readily pay out to hosts when problems arise, so I think it is extremely important to have your own public liability, damages and theft insurance to cover for guests. You can arrange this through your usual home and contents insurers (or shop around). Your normal home and contents insurance does not cover for theft and damages for people you invite into your home (e.g. Airbnb guests), so you will need to pay additional premiums for this.

Happy hosting!

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

There are several posts on short term insurance in Australia on the community.  As a guide, i have never found a home and contents policy that will cover short term letting.  Some even cancel your policy if you are doing this, check your policy.  Yes you need Landlord insurance but make sure it covers short term letting, the major ones do not.  You can use Sharecover, in addition to your home and contents, but unless you are only letting occasionally, this can be too expensive.  If you are living at the listing, you want one of the new policies that combine it all into one.  I am paying similar to what i paid for home and contents alone but now i also get Loss of Rent. Sorry i havent researched where host not on property.

Try Trident or Ceneta, they both have great staff who can talk you through your options.

Mark1416
Level 2
Boulder, CO

AirBNB is terrible to work with on the host guarantee.  The process is very arbitrary. You cannot speak to a real person. Everything is through email.  And if you do not like the decision they reach, your only option is to pursue AAA arbitration. I had a guest burn my countertop, and AirBNB only decided to pay 40%. There was no explanation as to the basis for that calculation. Nor was there any opportunity to have that arbitrary determination reviewed.   And if you do not like the decision they reach, your only option is to pursue AAA arbitration. I had a guest burn my countertop, and AirBNB only decided to pay 40%. There was no explanation as to the basis for that calculation. Nor was there any opportunity to have that arbitrary determination reviewed. I have been a Host for years, but I’m stopping now. The risk is too great. You cannot rely upon AirBNB’s guarantee. It is a marketing gimmick

Chris1804
Level 2
Singapore

My experience with the Host Guarantee has been very positive.  In my case, I submitted a claim to Airbnb’s resolution centre under their Host Guarantee. The guest contested the claim and didn't want to pay anything. Within one week, Airbnb decided that my claim was justified and agreed to compensate the damage in full.

Jen308
Level 1
Willetton, Australia

Hello all 🙂

Does anyone know which insurance companies have Home & Contents policy which also covers short term letting such as Airbnb, in WA, Australia ?

Thank you!

Jen

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

If you read Airbnb Terms, you will find that the maximum amount Airbnb will pay to you (as a host) for damages is limited  to the amount of rental booking payments paid to you in the prior 12 months.

("in no event will Airbnb’s aggregate liability arising out of or in connection with these Terms and your use of the Airbnb Platform including, but not limited to, from your publishing or booking of any Listings via the Airbnb Platform, or from the use of or inability to use the Airbnb Platform or Collective Content and in connection with any Accommodation, Experiences, Event,other Host Service, the Group Payment Service, or interactions with any other Members, exceed the amounts you have paid or owe for bookings via the Airbnb Platform as a Guest in the twelve (12) month period prior to the event giving rise to the liability, or if you are a Host, the amounts paid by Airbnb to you in the twelve (12) month period prior to the event giving rise to the liability, or one hundred U.S. dollars (US$100), if no such payments have been made, as applicable. ")

Therefore, if you are concerned that a guest may cause damage exceeding that amount, or may steal goods valued at more than that amount, you should get your own insurance.

I'm joking! I think it highly unlikely that you will be able to get an amount equal to 12 months rental income from Airbnb. You'll be lucky to get anything from them, and will have to hope that the guest coughs up the money. And if they don't, look forward to fight with CS to get any money. I had to fight tooth and nail to get £30! You definitely need your own insurance.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Sue664 @Fiona243 @Jen308 @Chris1804 @Mark1416 

I’ve only ever had to claim via the host guarantee once, and I have to say, considering all the negative feedback in the community, I found it easy to deal with and fair - I certainly wasn’t capped to my 12m-income. I don’t think we’re allowed to discuss specific outcomes but I can share some learning points to help others:

The process took three weeks, and in that time, I was unable to host. I didn’t have any advance bookings and the Guarantee doesn’t cover lost room nights, so if you book on a short lead time, be prepared to lose some money.

My better half loves taking photos so I had LOADS of photos of the rooms before the damage. Even if they don’t make your listing page, keep the photos of everything. That way you can use them to support the “before” condition of your space.

Equally, take loads of photos of the damage before you clear up. Once it’s clean / tidy / repaired, you lose this opportunity. If the guest disputes any damage because the photos are unclear, you won’t be left without a defence this way.

My home is brand new, as is the furniture, so luckily I had receipts. Keep receipts for everything, even towels you think are low cost, and submit photos of them with your initial claim - that way you can choose to use the original purchase price, or a replacement cost via a link to a website.

Log your claim quickly, preferably before the allocated check-out time. This removes the guest’s opportunity to blame others for their actions.

Whilst it’s tempting to fly off the handle, keep calm and stick to the facts. Don’t try and punish the guest with extra fees, and you’ll seem more reasonable to the mediators.

Hope all that helps. If I think of anything else, I’ll come back and add it afterwards.

Well, thank you so much for that feedback.  Having trouble with insurer's (long story) so it's good to know someone has had a good/decent experience with the Airbnb guarantee.  Yes, photographs definitely. Before and after - straight away.  Good advice.  Cheers! Sue.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Sue664 

Check if your Insurance is a Primary or Secondary Insurance. It matters because the Host Guarentee is not insurance, but if they think it is, then they will argue you are claiming from the wrong place.