Host refuses to refund guest despite BLACK MOLD found in home!

Answered!

Host refuses to refund guest despite BLACK MOLD found in home!

I'm absolutely furious! 

My mother and I checked into an Airbnb in Granada after a long trip from Chicago, through London & Malaga, to Granada.  We were eager to check in and get settled and relax.  However, I noticed water on the floor of the kitchenette (and the bed wasn't far from there -- it was a one-room place), and I looked under the sink to see if there was a problem with the pipes, and I found BLACK MOLD all over the back wall where there had clearly been water damage.  We had smelled something musty when we had first entered the place, but figured it was just an old building -- it was the mold! 

Worried that we'd be left homeless for the night, I immediately booked another AirBnB nearby (one that had "instant booking"), and we left.  Once checked into the new AirBnB down the street, I sent the first place's host a polite message saying what we had found, and told him that unfortunately, we would not be able to stay there, and would like a refund.  Well, the guy put up a fight! 

He said I wasn't behaving "correctly," and that I was trying to find things to complain about!  WHY would I want to have to worry about finding another place last-minute like that, if there was no SERIOUS problem with his place?  It makes no sense!  I had taken photos of the water on the floor and the water damage and BLACK MOLD on the wall, and I sent him the photos.  He said, "That's burn."  LOL!!! 

So, he fought me over it, and I told him that if he wouldn't grant the refund for an uninhabitable place, I would involve AirBnB.  So I did.  And after seeing the photos and hearing the description of the premises, THEY REFUSE TO REFUND ME!!!  They said that I didn't abide by the policy of contacting the host and letting him try to resolve the situation!  AS IF YOU COULD RESOLVE BLACK MOLD IN AN HOUR!!!  Black mold is a toxic, serious problem that affects the air quality -- especially for people with asthma like me, which I also told AirBnB -- and it needs to be professionally eradicated, which takes at least a few days.  I told AirBnB that it's not a typical "spill" or something that the host can clean up in a few minutes.  It's a serious problem that would take DAYS to resolve, and my mother and I were only in Granada for a few days! 

And what was I supposed to do, leave us HOMELESS for those 3 days that the host would be resolving his home's MOLD issue???!?!??!  It's so unfair, and I'm absolutely FURIOUS about this.  I tried writing to customer service again, and after a few days, I've received the same response.  I'm incredulous.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get through to higher-ups at AirBnB to get this refunded?  And to get this guy reported for renting out MOLDY premises?  I can't believe that they even saw PHOTOS of the mold, and did nothing about it!  I'M SO MAD!

1 Best Answer
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I'm going to attempt to tag a few folks in this thread (excuse my incompetence), as I have found something quite helpful in relation to black mould identification.

@Huma @Mark @Rebecca181  @Duane  @Amos18  @Robin4  @Sarah   @Lizzie  @Cathie

@Hillary-and-Adam0 

New Zealand has quite a problem with damp housing, particularly those built in the 1970's through to the 1990's.  The country is also struggling to recover (even 20 years later) from a "leaky home" crisis in the 1990's, which arose from poor building standards and shoddy contruction methods.

All this to say, we know a lot today about black mould and there are regulations that require landlords to deal with it, or face prosecution.  This is extended to even short term let situations.  If you are letting any part of your home, in NZ you are required to "know" (not just assume) that your property is free of toxic black mould spores.

Because of this requirement, a clever guy in Levin (not far north of where I live) invented a home testing kit for Landlords to use, late last year.  This testing kit will allow landlords to confirm, with a degree of certainty that satisfies regulation, whether your particular black mould is a bad one or not. 

Here is the article that describes the invention:  https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/103433813/levin-business-readies-launch-of-diy-test-for-toxic...

Here is the website that sells the home testing kit (2 cassettes) for NZD $99 (approx $68 USD): https://www.mednz.co.nz/detect4mould

From the site:  "The Dect4mould Mould Test is simple to use, giving you accurate results in as little as 5 minutes. The tests identify mould species that the U.S. EPA considers to be health concerns for you and your family."

If you are a host and you would like some assurance in regard to mould spores on your property, I recommend you look into getting a home testing kit like this one. 

In theory, if there are mould spores in your property and you have this type of test done, you could offer the test results to future guests... even state in your house manual to reassure guests that testing has been done.  It would certainly make discussions with guests about "what mould is what" easier.

~ Ben

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am still stuck on the word 'manplaining' she used nearly two years ago (40 posts back). 

I would love to say in my Airbnb listing - "If you suffer from ailments, phobias, speak with 'isms, love to play home inspector and carry an American law book under your arm when traveling abroad - DON'T RENT MY PLACE, you do not fit in my place, at all."

As I look back the last 6 years and think of the fine guests I have had the pleasure hosting coming from such places as the US, Canada, Australia & New Zealand, British Isle, Germany, Brazil, Argentina the list goes on and on, I must have gotten nothing but dynamic duos who are in this world to live life while they are on this Earth - my kind of people! Sooner or later I will sell and finally retire for good - those great guests I will miss and always remember.

To those of you who don’t know. Black mold can be highly toxic to certain susceptible individuals. Dr. Shoemaker did extensive research on those whose genotypes predispose them to the inability to properly be able to eliminate mold from their body. Certain immune systems can not recognize the mold as foreign and the body can enter chronic inflammatory response as a result. His articles are peer reviewed and published. And as a medical professional I can attest that yes certain patients and people can become HIGHLY sick even from small amounts of mold

Well my wife happens to be a clean freak extraordinaire; forget mold (of any color), she tears the place apart between guests every time.

@Fred13 

To those of you who don’t know. Black mold can be highly toxic to certain susceptible individuals. Dr. Shoemaker did extensive research on those whose genotypes predispose them to the inability to properly be able to eliminate mold from their body. Certain immune systems can not recognize the mold as foreign and the body can enter chronic inflammatory response as a result. His articles are peer reviewed and published. And as a medical professional I can attest that yes certain patients and people can become HIGHLY sick even from small amounts of mold

Hi @Fred13 , someone rammed the  "Mansplaining" thing up my fourth point of contact a few days ago in a post when I was actually supporting her postulation about the possible existence of an open door sensor/ alarm and PS'd me saying-

"PS - People like YOU are the reason I stopped coming to the CC so often"

Actually Sue, I think thats exactly why people come here, to commiserate and get great (and free) advice from professionals at hosting and lots of other areas of discussion.   Considering I have designed and installed alarm systems including such devices for a couple few decades,  i guessed the free technical advice of an actual professional in the trade she was guessing about might be warranted and appreciated, I guessed wrong. 

Its my fault, I forgot the lifelong adage that describes a consultant as anyone you have to pay huge money to travel at least 30 miles for their expert opinion", because I didn't charge a dime, I must be a Mansplainer.    But I digress...  Stay well Fred, JR

Those of us who always lean forward throughout an entire life listening & learning will always be way ahead of the crowd, have a better life and certainly have more fun exchanging with their fellow man.  Those burdened with insecurities because they have something to prove or are hell bend to hide what little they do know and go no further, I feel for.

If you got something interesting and informative to say about any subject, please come and sit next to me.

Regina673
Level 2
United States

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You don't appear to be either a host or guest so what made you join Airbnb and dig i[ old posts @Regina673  do you work for Dr Shoemaker 🙂

I’m a guest with air B and B and stumbled upon this post by accident. I’m a surgical nurse. I don’t work with dr shoemaker but I’ve followed his research. 

And yes I’m trying to get rid of all my posts. I don’t know why it won’t let me. 🙂

You can't delete your own posts here. You have to ask a moderator to do it for you. There's a very short time period where you can edit your posts, in which case, you could just erase all the words and write "Deleted by poster", but it's likely you tried to do that after the cut-off time.

@Regina673

Thank you for your help. Yes it’s probably too late. I actually contacted air B and B and they said they can’t remove them either. Oh well, well best of luck Hillary! And thank you to all the hosts here who are part of air B and B! 🙂 

Airbnb customer service can't remove posts here- that's not what I said. You have to tag one of the moderators of this forum and they will do it for you. @Regina673

@Hillary-and-Adam0 

The funny part of your story is that you said you arrived late and had no minute left to send a message asking the host to clean with a anti-muld product (it would have been done is 10 minutes because it is small stains).

The place is not insane. If it was, there would be muld on walls and ceiling.

But you had the time to check every drawers.

As far as I am concerned, when I arrive late after a long travel, the only thing I check is the bed.

Another interpretation of you story.

You arrived.

You did not like the place.

I checked everywhere to find something to reproach.

You took photos and you did not contact the host because it would have been corrected easily.

Airbnb ask to contact the host first to correct the problem to avoid scam.

I know muld quite well because it comes regularly in my bathroom (humid and hot room - and nothing on PVC).

And it is corrected in 10 minutes with the right cleaning products.

This is why I don’t buy your story.