Host won't allow using kitchen

Alex1910
Level 1
Yekaterinburg, Russia

Host won't allow using kitchen

Hello everyone,

Just came across an interesting situation. We came to the place and the host won't allow us to use her kitchen and she didn't even specify this on her listing. The only thing it says is, "La chambre avec salle de bain douche privative." (A room with a private bathroom and shower)

I've found a whole thread here in Discussions and many hosts say that if they're not comfortable with guests using their kitchen, they let guests know about it (some even send messages themselves specifying that). In our case the lady never mentioned it until we arrived. Now, we're not really planning on going on a cooking binge, covering the kitchen with groceries and cooking stuff day and night. What we want is to at least have an opportunity to warm stuff up in the microwave. We don't want the host's food, we'll buy our own ready meals from shops. We could wash the dishes and everything - we've done this stuff before. But this is the first time we've heard of such a case. She also said that it's everywhere like this in France, but last week we stayed in the same city a block away and the host absolutely didn't mind that. So is that really a French thing to not allow using kitchen and not even mentioning it in the ads? French hosts are especially welcome with their opinions.

P.S. After we had a chat, the host allowed us to use the microwave as an exception (and we're very thankful indeed), but she said she wouldn't edit the listing.

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Alex1910 Without seeing the listing, it's hard to say: if the kitchen was listed as an amenity, you should be able to use it, but if it wasn't, I don't see the issue. Airbnb hosts choose exactly what's included in their listing and what's not, and it's up to you as a guest to fully review the listing and determine if it fits your needs. If you're not sure, ask in advance of booking. You can't assume that access to a kitchen is included with every Airbnb listing. It was nice of your host to make an exception for you.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Alex1910 🙂

Many hosts do not offer use of kitchen or only "light use of kitchen". Is the kitchen box "ticked" on the listing? Maybe you can share the listing here so we can see it.

Best, Sandra 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alex1910  Kitchen use is either listed as an amenity or it isn't. It's up`to guests to read the amenity list, not just assume that they can use the kitchen. If it's listed as available to guests, then that's a problem. If the kitchen amenity isn't checked, then it's not the host's fault that you didn't bother to read that.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Alex1910, perhaps you could send us a link to the listing....? I am a host who doesn't allow kitchen use - (except light (uncooked) meal prep, kettle, toaster, microwave and food storage in fridge). I clearly state this in my listing and I don't have 'Kitchen' ticked as an amenity. But you would not BELIEVE the number of guests who still arrive with bags of groceries thinking that it is totally fine to use my stove/oven cook.

If your host had 'Kitchen' ticked in her amenities and did not mention that you can't cook, then they should be called out on it. But if they didn't and you just arrived with an assumption that you can cook, then please don't punish the host for it. As someone who has guests in my home most nights, I can assure you that it is definitely not fun when people take over the kitchen every night.