Hostile/Aggressive Guest

Rosa344
Level 2
Fredericksburg, VA

Hostile/Aggressive Guest

Hello Everyone!
This is my first post. I have to apologize for its length.
I've been with Airbnb for about a year. I achieved superhost status in January 2019 due to good service and hard work. Needlessly to say, I have pretty much 5 stars reviews so far and my guests usually come back. I just finished a reservation with a very hostile guest. This guest was problematic from the start. I'm not sure if she was not used to Airbnb but she expected room/hotel service in a long stay reservation. Her stay was from 2/19 - 5/20. She was messy, dirty and the smell coming down from my basement apartment would often made me gag. However, I provided her with the same services as all my other guests, exchanging sheets, towels, comforters, bathroom rugs, tablecloths, etc. every other week.

After 39 nights, she checked out leaving my apartment damaged. Airbnb was very well aware about how this guest was because when I called them, the representative just told me that "this was a very complicated reservation and the guest had to resolve some issues with Airbnb" implying that she owed them money. I had no idea of her previous reservation or her issues with them and it's none of my business anyway.

I have been calling Airbnb almost on a daily basis to update them about what was going on with this guest, not to mention the stress and the time consumed in dealing with Airbnb and the guest. Airbnb was very well aware of the way she was because she had to end her previous reservation due to "police involvement" based on her own words. I did not know any of it.

During her stay, she went away for about 3 days and when she reappeared she called me to "let me know she was bringing somebody else to stay with her for about 3 days" to which I replied with a reminder about my policy: "I do not accept unregistered guests/I charge $25 extra dollars a night per person." She replied with the "I'm paying rent meaning I can bring visitors" excuse to which I answered that that was not the way Airbnb worked and if she would have been paying rent, she would have signed a lease and pay a security deposit. I requested money through the resolution center in the amount of $75 (3 x 25). She replied that she wanted to pay $100 and when I asked why, she said "because the person is staying 4 nights." I sent the request for $100 with a note stating that "extra guest needs to check out X day before noon." The x date was exactly 4 nights after the extra guest checked in. However, that day came and the extra guest was till there by 2PM. I have to call Airbnb (AGAIN) to let them know what was going on and how she was not following my house rules. Airbnb called her and informed me that she said the guest checked out which was not true. I checked my outdoor camera and the person left close to 3PM. That was only one of the many problems with this guest.

Forward to the night before she checked out, she unset my burglary alarm "accidentally" and I went to check the apartment. She furiously stopped me right on the steps. I asked her: "Didn't you hear the alarm? I have to check to make sure that everything is ok." She accused me of just wanting to 'check on her' since that was after the day the extra guest had to leave. After that, she sent me a passive agressive message through Airbnb accussing me of "violating her civil rights" and that "she was well aware of my contacts with Airbnb through social media" to which I replied with "my apologies for ensuring about the house safety as well as yours" and I left it at that. I have been trying to minimize contact with this guest due to her hostility. That night I went to sleep worried and scared about my safety and my daughter's. I don't think any host has to go through that. I have also informed Airbnb of this situation but have gotten no sympathy.

The next day Friday 3/30, an Airbnb Rep called me asking me if I was aware that she was checking out the same day to which I replied i was not. This Airbnb rep told me that I was not to received the future payout scheduled on 4/19 (she was supposed to stay from 2/19 until 5/20). That was okay with me since this guest had caused nothing but trouble from the start and I got the last payout on 3/19 and that as long as I didn't have to refund any monies... I also reminded them of my non refundable policy. The Airbnb representative reassured me that the only adjustment was the forfeiture of the future payout of 4/19 wich was fine with me since she was checking out and I have a non refundable policy. After I finished talking to Airbnb rep, they updated my calendar but when I checked my account progress I saw a negative (798.48). I called Airbnb reminding them of my non refundable policy as well as of my disagreement. Even though, they acknowleged that their representative misinformed me when he said that the only adjustment to be made was the forfeiture of the future payout for 4/19, they refused to refund me and, instead I owe Airbnb $798.48 to be deducted from my future reservations! I have been sending emails, messages, tweets but not to available. Airbnb refuses to reimburse me and is reenforcing the deduction from my future reservations until it reaches a zero balance.

On the other hand, I thought about not leaving a review for this guest to avoid more problems. However, while researching postings here, I read other hosts' recommendations on the subject. Therefore, I decided to leave her a review, knowing that, I'll be able to provide a short response when she does the same. I left her a review in the likes of "xx person may not understand how Airbnb works and is possibly better suited to a hotel than a hosting environment. I wish her the best but would decline the opportunity to host her again." As you can see, I am trying to keep it at a peaceful/professional level. I also entered a request through the resolution center to request payment for the damages caused to my apartment. However, I still have to refund Airbnb $798.48 from future payouts PLUS pay for repairs and buy new furniture due to the damage caused by this guest. Now, I'm just receiving more passive aggressive messages from this guest denying damages and saying that the apartment was dirty! Not to mention that I am often commended as to how spotless and clean my place is!

I feel that after all the abuse I have endured from this guest, I am also penalized by Airbnb. I am just amazed to how unhelpful Airbnb has been in my case and their refuttal to listen even though they know the situation from the beginning. I feel that Airbnb has left me unprotected to fend off this hostile and aggressive guest. Even though, she is not here anymore, I fear for my safety and my daughter's since she is still staying in the area. How do I deal with this?

Is that the way Airbnb deals with hosts? I'm flabbergasted at the way they had treated me to the point that I'm rethinking why I'm hosting at all and if it's worth my time and effort. Is it really worth all the work and the stress? This whole experience dealing with this hostile/aggressive guest and Airbnb has left a very sour taste in my mouth to say the least. Airbnb has let me down. This experience has shaken me down to the core.
Any words of advice as to how to handle this situation will be greatly appreciated.

12 Replies 12
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Rosa344 Hey that was some guest you had for certain..............I read her crazy, hysterical, ridiculous rant of a  review she posted about everything being wrong, broken, etc. She is a nut case for certain.

YOU deserve an award for your response to her review. GOOD FOR YOU - well written, indeed.  Telling others to compare her review with your others is brillant - sparkling clean!!! loved it!

I am sorry you are having to pay for this nonsense..............I'm sorry I can't help with advice on what to do perhaps others can help you out about getting your monies in this case. 

I suppose be glad she is gone!. best regards and happy hosting, Clara

Hi Clara,

Thanks for the encouragement.  It was most needed.  So far, Airbnb is still refusing to refund the money or block her review.  It was really hurtful.  I requested money to pay for damages but she declined and I reached out to Airbnb to interfere.  However, I don’t have much hope for that.

My main concern is that, because of her review, I may lose my superhost status.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rosa344 

Rosa, you have handled yourself very well in a difficult situation. I compliment you on your review of the guest and your response to her review of you.

This is precisely how I have been telling others to handle a difficult review situation. You look a star and she looks a right proper turkey.

I hope you can sort out the financial side of this unfortunate experience but, personally I think you are wonderful, you have carried yourself with diplomacy and skill....you are a fine host, well done!

Cheers......Rob

Rob,

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  I have blocked my calendar for this week and probably next week.  I can’t believe the way  Airbnb is handling this situation.  I feel so let down by them!

My main concern is that, due to her review, I may lose my superhost status now.  I worked so hard to get it.

I am afraid of this guest, even though she is no longer in my house but close by.  I’ve been telling Airbnb that I fear for my safety and my family’s for the last two weeks but they refused to listen.

i also requested money to pay for repairs and this guest declined to pay which is no surprise.  I haven’t heard from Airbnb in this respect.

Thanks again,

Rosa

Frank1244
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I feel for you. I have a screaming, disturbed and potentially violent guest. I emailed and went onto the airbnb site several times to report it. After several attempts with no reply, I heard back from them TWO MONTHS LATER saying they would "look into it." That was almost two months ago. Then yesterday i filed another report that the guest refuses to be Covid-safe and is putting me at risk. I asked him to leave. I asked airbnb to remove him. I should hear back in another 4 months I suppose?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Frank1244,

If the guest is doing things that put you are risk, you can contact Airbnb and request the reservation be cancelled.  It may count against your yearly three allowed cancellations.  However, it is the host's responsibility, and Airbnb has no authority,  to have an unwanted guest removed from the property.  Since the guest has been at your place for at least two months, the guest may have tenants rights, and you will have to go through an eviction process to get the guest out.  If this is the case, have the reservation canceled immediately, and request that the guest leave.  Should the guest refuse to leave, go down to county court and file for the eviction immediately before the eviction moratorium is reinstated.

@Debra300 Thank you so much! Do you work for Airbnb? Are you familiar with Los Angeles or California law in this matter? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Frank1244,

I don't work for Airbnb.  Much of what I shared with you I learned from other hosts who have shared their experiences here at the community.

I am originally from the Bay Area, and familiar with California landlord/tenants rights.

Good luck.

@Debra300 you're a goddess, thanks!

Ross648
Level 7
New York, NY

Hello Rosa, 

I too sympathize.  However you should not see AirBnB as a responsive company to whom we give a percentage of our rents.  Rather it is a computer algorithm biased towards guests and staffed by online help instructed never to question the premises of the program.   Grasp this and everything simplifies. 

You could have a hundred five star reviews and AirBnB wouldn't do anything.   You could have a guest complain bitterly that your rental is in Virginia and not Greece as she expected and rate you one star.    The AirBnB program will not take down any such review because it is too complicated for the algorithm to do this.   

A hostile rating will immediately knock you down a couple of percentage points, but it will take you twenty 5 star reviews to build your rating back up.   This differential reveals how the algorithm is tilted towards the customer and discriminates against the host. 

You did well in your response.

Hi Ross,

Everything Airbnb handled with me just like you said as a programmed computer system no real response with feeling. 

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I found all these posts particularly helpful as I am reconsidering hosting during the California eviction moratorium. I get requests from local guests wanting to stay for a few days for a change of Air. I wonder if anyone may have experienced any issues recently with the moratorium extension until June. Thats a long time to be stuck with a guest that refuses to leave. I wonder if anything could be done, if there are any host protections in place. Thanks all