Hosting in Shanghai - Guidance

Kevin1133
Level 1
Friedberg, Germany

Hosting in Shanghai - Guidance

Dear community  

From having been a host in Berlin I know that there are sometimes many rules to obey when hosting on airbnb.

I recently moved to Shanghai for my job.

My current plan is to rent 2 apartments, one very central and one a bit further out the city (next to my work place). Of course that is rather costly, which is why I would love to rent them out when I'm not at home. 

I now have multiple questions :

Is it legal to rent multiple Apts in Shanghai? 

Is it legal to offer multiple Apts on airbnb in Shanghai? 

What other rules do I have to be aware of as a (foreign) host in Shanghai/China?

Just trying to make sure to not get in trouble.

Cheers

4 Replies 4
Joy298
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Hi @Kevin1133 

Shanghai is my hometown. It’s really a vivid metropolis that I hope you will enjoy. However, sorry that you may not be able to find many useful information here since not so many people speak English there, and, actually Chinese people has their native bnb platforms other than ABB, e.g. xiaozhu, tujia, zhenguo... So bnb renting has been a highly competitive market for these years.

Here’s my answer to your questions,

1 Yes

2 Yes, and actually there’re many agents or hosts doing this already.

3 I’m sorry but I have to say, the biggest problem is that the renting market has never been regulated. It’s a jungle full of scams and sub-lessors. Ask your employer to assist your settling down, otherwise I assume it would be quite a challenge for you.

Moreover, actually I personally doubt the prospect of bnb business in China. I’m now residing in Sydney. Here 4-star hotel costs more than $200 while mid-end bnb entire place apartment for 2 is usually less than half of this price. However, in Shanghai, a 4-star hotel stay costs you only like $80-100 while bnb is like $45-80. I don’t see very big expense difference between regular hotel and bnb, do you really wish to risk yourself staying in a place provided by a sub-lessor, even without any cover from insurance or local laws?

I personally don’t recommend any foreigners to do this business, as the renting market is yet far from transparent. Maybe you check with more guys on Reddit, I remember there’re subs where western migrants are sharing information for working and living in China.

Hope this helps!

Yang

Thanks for this comprehensive answer!!

Karlheinz13
Level 1
Suzhou, China

Hallo @Kevin1133 ,

as German, I already rent out my apartment in Shanghai to Chinese families without problems. Only challenge is, your rental price need to be lower than hotels close by. I hope this will help.

Thank you for the information - Danke! 🙂