Hosting those effected by disasters

Victoria110
Level 5
Oakland, CA

Hosting those effected by disasters

I'm a host in the SF Bay area and would very much like to help out people displaced by the fires yet I cannot afford to host for free which is what Airbnb, a billion dollar company is requesting of it's hosts. I can't imagin why Airbnb isn't subsidizing those in need of housing? Even if it is just $25-$30 a night? I've been a host going on 6 years and I'm becoming more and more disappointed with the company.  

Victoria  

14 Replies 14
Suzanna10
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I've (undersatandably) lost the guests I had booked for this weekend and my place is available til next weekend (though those guests are also considering cancelling, as are all guests for October). I would also like to help host those impacted by the North Bay fires but cannot afford to do this at no cost. I too wish AirBnB would step up with some type of policy. I'd think it would be a great way to generate goodwill and be a substantial tax writeoff for the mega-giant. Love AirBnB and hope they will do the right thing.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

@Victoria110There is nothing stopping you from offering a discounted rate for qualified victims of the fires.  Offer a limited time period, and screen potential guests to assure yourself that you are helping someone in need, rather than someone just looking to take advantage of your kind offer.

I think its is appalling that airbnb is doing nothing more than asking hosts to give homes or rooms to those displaced by the fires, yet, the only thing they have done is set up a link (that I cannot find) to arrange those hookups.  Many of the victims aren't able to go online for many reasons. 

My suggestion to Airbnb is to have just some of the 1000+ employees in San Francisco make the short drive to Napa, Sonoma and Santa Rosa, set up a stand where  fire victims can be hooked up with hosts willing to give their rooms to these people.  In addition, Airbnb could help hosts by paying a nominal part, maybe $20 to help the hosts cover part of the costs of hosting someone.  It seems a small price for Airbnb to get something more than token PR about how they are all about Sharing, Belonging, Hosting.  

Beth23
Level 4
SF, CA

I have a question-my house in Glen Ellen,CA (Sonoma Co) with an airbnb guest there through Oct, has survived the fires and there has been mandatory evacuation since Monday 10/9. My tenant has not been there and does not want to return. She wants to return to Chicago ASAP and is asking for a refund from the 9th-31st. I understand her fear and trauma and lack of housing (she has been staying with friends). I have asked airbnb to reimburse her but haven't heard back. This is no one's fault and is a major disaster with many victums. If airbnb doesn't help-any suggestions? I'm sure there is smoke damage but haven't been there as no one could get in and now I'm out of town until Saturday. Any suggestions? We have been in touch with our insurance company.

I refunded $ directly to evacuee's via Google Wallet.  I didn't even bother with ABB; knew they would be no help.  

Ellen12
Level 3
Brookfield, WI

Agree.  We were adjacent Florida area affected by hurricane and asked to host for free.  Really?  I actually did get an evacuated family booked, paid full amount (which wasn't much this time of year) and then I gave them refund because they learned they could return home earlier.  I sent them their $ via Google Wallet because I knew ABB would NEVER refund them anything.  

Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Ellen12

At the top of the message thread with the guest is a box "Send or Request Money".  If you click on this you can put in a request to send them money.  It will then just be processed - no need to contact anyone or assume they will not pay. 

It is against the TOS to exchange money off the platform so this is not good to be recommending.  You can also be put in the position of having this guest request a refund for extenuating circumstances and wind up refunding them twice and there will not be a thing you can do about it because you didn't follow the terms of your agreement.

Not a good practice for this type of thing in the future, Lisa

@Lisa0

Ouch! Why do I feel like a naughty child? And I presume ABB would charge a fee for refunding?

Dick1
Level 2
Angola, IN

Folks, you have this all wrong! These impacted fire victims don't need a break on their rates at a nearby Airbnb, they just need to find one. I'm certain that 99.9%+ of these people have homeowners insurance that will fully cover the cost of temporary housing. No need to subsidize their carriers by discounting your price.  

Insurance companies regularly take a long time to pay on claims, especially when they have many claims coming in. In the meantime, displaced homeowners have to use credit (if they even have enough) to replace clothes, medicine, toiletries, food, transportation, and housing. It adds up quick and interest rates multiply the debt. Also, many insurance plans only pay for very short stays in temporary housing while it might take much longer to find a more permanent solution. Please don't think insurance is an immediate or complete solution to this kind of devastation

@Dick1  A big problem for the Napa/Sonoma are that has burned is the rates are high in the wine country. I'm thinking most insurance companies would balk at a rate of $250+ per night. 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

While I guess it would be nice for airbnb, or anyone or any company to help, I certainly don't expect it or feel ill will against airbnb for not doing it.  Most people do have homeowners insurance that will provide relocation allowances as another person mentioned.  And quite frankly those that don't have homeowners insurance are probably not the types I want to host anyway.  

Nicholas245
Level 2
Cañon City, CO

I have a question I am finally able to return to Houston to pick up my belongings after Hurricane Harvey and to also get my partner from his mom's house and bring him to where I'm at in Colorado now. What are my options? I am already spending 1000+ on a flight and car rental, I'm in a bit of a bind and between ABB and Hotels this is the so far my best option I'm trying to stay from Sept 13th through Sept 22nd.

Stephen63
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I totally agree with Victoria in Oakland, Kevin & Linda in Aptos and the many others who feel it's pretty amazing that Airbnb doesn't pitch in at least to help those hosts who are willing to host disaster victims.  If we hosts are willing to take a much discounted rate, then why isn't Airbnb stepping up?  Easy to ask us to do it for free.  That's nerve.  Come on Airbnb, do your part!