House Rules

Molly266
Level 2
Tomball, TX

House Rules

What do you guys think of my house rules pdf? Be completely honest with me. I'm working to improve my hosting knowledge.

HOUSE RULES

1. No Smoking.
  2. Shoes off inside.
  3. No sitting/standing on Frank (He's our tortoise).
  4. No parties or events.
  5. No unregistered guests.
  6. No pets.
  7. No going in tarped off garage area.
  8. Do not use premises for illegal
  9. Park in driveway.
  10. Be respectful & kind to neighbors by keeping noise down & company in the house/backyard (i.e. not on their lawns/driveways).
  11. Put trash on St. Sun &or Wed night.
  12. Throw away all your food before check out.
  13. Leave used bedding by upstairs doors.
  14. Check out at 10am
6 Replies 6
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Molly266 

To be honest Molly, If I (as a guest)  came across that in 'bullet' form like that I would be a bit annoyed.

It the same as putting 'post-it' notes all over the property telling the guest what they can and can't do!

You have to remember these people are paying guests, most on holiday, and the last thing they need is to be confronted with a heap of rules that are designed to protect your property and inhibit their enjoyment!

There are pleasant ways of getting your point across which the guest will take kindly to, it will instill a bit of warmth into the relationship between you both.

"It hasn't been tested yet but I believe the smoke alarm is connected to the local fire brigade, trying it out with that odd cigarette may not be advisable!

There is a box for shoes inside the front door, you cooperation in using that will send you up a million percent in my books.

'Frank', like all living things thrives on a bit of respect, try looking after him and he will become your best friend.

Have you ever been to a party where nothing got broken? We have gone to a lot of effort here, please don't let us down by having people we haven't accepted here.

It's great to invite an unexpected guest to stay, but remember, they are not covered by Airbnb's insurance, and I can't take the risk....are you ok with that?

Pets and future guests can be a bit of a problem, As much as I love a four legged-ed companion, I can't afford the legal costs of an allergy claim! Sorry but, unless it's a goldfish in a bowl, I can't allow it! "

Some of my property is a work in progress, we all have a skeleton or two in the closet! If it's tarped off please respect that.

The last thing I would ever do is come to your home with the intention of breaking the law. I know you respect that so, remember, it's my house please reciprocate!

Now having got all that off my chest here's a few +'s for you, my driveway is yours while you are here, so much nicer than the street. The neighbours are great, you may even get to interact with them, just respect them and their property and they will love you!

If I can just add a housekeeping clause, Sunday and Wednesday night the garbos come, give them something to take away hey!

And on that note food is not like a fine wine, it doesn't improve with age, please whack it in the bin when you leave!

If you make the bed, I have to go to the trouble of stripping it, please leave it by the upstairs door and I will think you are a saint!

My schedule sees me do the rounds at 10.00am. can I please ask that I can get on with my job for the next guest by then!

Thanks so much for considering to stay with me, hopefully it will be an experience we will both look forward to repeating in the future"!

I would think far more of the host who approached their rules in a way like that than a series of bullet points. I know others will disagree......but In have 9 nights free between now and the middle of March, so Molly, I think it works! 

Cheers.......Rob

WOW! That was a great revamp of the rules Rob! It was actually fun to read. 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Agree with Rob, it's all in the phrasing. The odd please and thank you is seldom unappreciated too.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you leave your turtle/any pet at your listing when you are having guests? @Molly266 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Agree with others on please and thank you. 7,8,11 are grammatically awkward or incorrect — this would put me off as well.

@Molly266     You probably have a fair idea of the kind of guest who stays with you, so you could fine-tune the language with that in mind.  I have overtime tried a few different approaches and  have found that straightforward rules  have the best results; many guests seem to have short attention spans, plus I have many foreign guests who speak no English and online translators are terrible, to the point of misinforming and confusing, if you go beyond the short and simple: subject, object, verb.

You could preface the rules with "We look forward to hosting you, please read etc. etc. meet your expectations...make your trip enjoyable...Thank you.  And some amusing line about Frank the friendly tortoise being upset when stood on.   But having said the way your rules are laid out now wouldn't bother me, I would just suggest grouping them for easier comprehension and consolidating all the check-out rules under one heading.