How can I unlock auto blocked dates?

Caroline498
Level 1
Lino Lakes, MN

How can I unlock auto blocked dates?

We had to cancel a reservation due to a pricing error, but now air bnb has auto blocked those dates out to "help stop further cancellations"  but we still want to offer these dates.  How can I open them back up?  Thanks!

9 Replies 9
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Caroline498 Unfortunately you can’t. Like it says, it’s to deter you from cancelling reservations. There are other penalties for cancelling as well - so take a look through the Help Center so you’re aware. 

I am getting auto Blocked by Air BnB when I haven’t even accepted the invite yet.  I have set expectations in order to accept a request:  I require government ID, a note from the guest telling me why they want to come and stay, they have to read and agree to my house rules, and I want to see their photo so I know if they’re male or female, (not to discriminate but to verify because I’ve had pictures of peoples pets put on their photo and not them) etc.  Previously, I could message the client, let them know they need to read my house rules and my requirements to book, then make a decision.  Now, Air  BnB has taken over my calendar and is blocking it without any permission from me.  This is jacked up.  

Susie35
Level 5
Boston, MA

@Caroline498, you've stumbled into the one major sin of a host...never cancel a reservation! It seems you're a new host, and you might try throwing yourself on the mercies of Airbnb, and asking them to unblock those dates. Meanwhile I suggest you read some of the threads on this forum to get a better idea of what is involved in hosting, so that you don't find further trouble along the way. You don't describe what the pricing error is, but that's one of the most common sources of problems, that people haven't stated their prices properly and then are surprised when a guest books at a ridiculously low price. The solution to that is to call Airbnb, but not to cancel the reservation.

Take heart, there's a lot to learn, but there's a very helpful group of hosts on this forum, so if you have any questions in the future, just jot them down here and you'll get lots of helpful feedback from other hosts! Best wishes, Susie

Simon237
Level 4
Brisbane City, Australia

What was the reason for your cancelling the dates? If the guest asked you to cancel the dates (and it was done via AirBNB), then you can contact AirBNB and they might be able to open up those dates. For future reference, if a guest requests cancellation, they must initiate it.

However, if the cancellation was done by you (becuase you wanted more money), then you'll need to suck it up. You will also lose the ability to be a super hose for one year as well.

@Simon237

> You will also lose the ability to be a super hose for one year as well.

I don't know that I'd want to be a super hose.  Can you explain the benefits of the program, and is it an officially sanctioned AirBnB designation?

Simon237
Level 4
Brisbane City, Australia

@Mark26 It is a recognision from AirBNB that you meet certain criteria. It appears as a badge next to your listings, and I don't think there is an opt-out mechanism. More details are on AirBNB's website. https://www.airbnb.com/help/topic/271/superhosts and you can go to your stats page to see if you meet the requirements.

A 'super hose' on the hand is a completely different story 🙂

Aw Man.... looks like she built a listing specifically for the Super Bowl, and had to cancel the only dates she was hoping to book at $600 a night.  Talk about Super Hosed.

It looks like the dates got un-blocked!

Miracle of miracles.

Airbnb hosts have no rights they need to unionize  .