How do I get a map file to my guests?

Jeremy722
Level 2
Austin, TX

How do I get a map file to my guests?

Hello,

The inside of our ranch is not mapped by Google.  We have a ranch map that needs to be sent to our guests as an email attachment so they can get to the river, etc.     It doesn't look like ABB gives me access to an email address for guests.   How should I get this map to them?

I guess it could be a added to a gdrive or something...  

Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jeremy722 

There are several option to provide a guest a document:

1. You can  use the temporary emailaddress Airbnb assigns to every reservation en sent an email with the attachment. If you already received emails on your email address regarding the reservation, then simply reply.

But before starting you have to select a checkbox in your account, please read this (section "Using an email alias"): How-can-i-contact-guests-via-email-for-a-reservation 

2. You can attach pictures etc. to messages in the Inbox system (choose the "mountain" icon).

3. Sent a guest the URL to where you stored the document on Internet.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeremy722  I also have to send a hand-drawn map to my guests.

Trying to get Airbnb reps to understand this was an exercise in futility. I needed this same info when I first listed and the rep kept insisting that all the guests needed were the GPS coordinates. I couldn't get it through his thick head that no guest will be able to find my house like that, and that I get international travelers who don't even necessarily have their phones set up to work here. This was all beyond his comprehension- his feet have probably never touched anything outside his home but a concrete sidewalk. 🙂 He ended up suggesting that I upload the map to some third party software and give guests the link.

But what I ended up doing was the email option Emiel outlined above. However, what happened is that the attachment didn't work half the time. I told guests when I had sent it to them, advising them to check their email spam box if they didn't see it in their Inbox, and to confirm with me that they received it, otherwise they wouldn't be able to find my place. 

About half said they got the email, but the attachment was missing.

So what I do now is, when I need to send them the map, I ask them for their personal email address (giving them my business email address, so it all feels open and trusting), explaining that the coded email address Air assigns is glitchy. No guest has ever balked at giving me their email addresss for this  purpose.

The joy of dealing with Cubicle Dwellers who haven't a clue about the real world.

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

We are also off-Google. I give written instructions after making it clear we are not on mapping systems. I also ask if they also have an IPhone as I can send them My Location via text. 

Jeremy722
Level 2
Austin, TX

I think what I'll do is put the map on a public gdrive link and include it in the welcome message that I'm sending.   I also give written instructions ...But, it's a little like   "...take the road that goes through the meadow (no name) and just follow that to the gate..."   thanks everyone!

@Jeremy722  My place is about 8/10 kilometer down a dirt road, then down another little dirt road. There are no street signs, my little road doesn't have a name, and none of the house numbers go in any discernible order 🙂

The propane guy who's been delivering to me for 13 years knows me as "Sarah, below Rancho Arado". I usually just call him directly, but once he wasn't answering his phone, so I called the office. The secretary asked my address, and I told her he'll never find it like that, that he knows my place by the description above. She insisted on taking my address, and I said fine, but also tell him "Sarah's house ...". She didn't, and he didn't show up. When I tracked him down 3 days later, he said he couldn't find the address he was given and asked why I didn't tell the secretary "Sarah's house...". Arggggh.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Create the map as a .jpeg and save it. Then follow these directions to sent the image to your guest via the messaging app.AirBNB How to send a photo pt 2.png