How to Handle Guest Email with Laundry List of Complaints?

Hopey0
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

How to Handle Guest Email with Laundry List of Complaints?

Hi All,

The short version of this is that I had a guest that didn't read the listing, didn't read/respond to my emails before their stay, was unable to operate basic household items (ie an electrical outlet), and then sent a lengthy complaint email after checkout. All of her major complaints (surveillance cameras, Uber, etc) were either disclosed or discussed in my listing and/or my emails before their stay. Neither of us has written a review for the other yet and I'm wondering the best way to handle this email and potential review. As an FYI, they left my home very clean and might be fine guests for a property with an onsite host. However, since I only rent my place when I'm out-of-town, I would like to avoid guests that need this much hand-holding in the future.

Background Info

I'm a newer Airbnb Host. I have 2 listings-- my personal home that I list only when I'm traveling and the condo next door which I list in-between long term rentals. Both are 2 bedroom 1 bathroom condos just East of Salt Lake City.

This particular guest made a booking for my personal home (Simple Condo #2) about 3 months ago. She was brand new to Airbnb with no reviews. The booking was for 3 women who were all attending an MLM convention in downtown SLC. For reference, the nightly cost for the guest after all Airbnb fees was about $200/night. By comparison, the Motel 6 in downtown SLC is also about $200/night during MLM conventions and a 3-star hotel (Hyatt, Marriott, etc) runs $400/night.

Immediately after booking, I sent the guest an email detailing what to expect at my house, how Airbnb is different than a hotel, parking and check-in information, transportation information, a few restaurant and sight-seeing options that are walking distance from my home, and links for transportation options. I didn't receive a response but the booking was months away at this point so I didn't worry about it. A few weeks before their reservation, I sent a follow up email with a reminder for check-in and parking information and asked how they were arriving so I could give them more specific information. No response. I sent a third email asking for confirmation that my messages were being received and asking when/how the guests would be arriving. I finally received a response telling me they would be arriving at 2pm. I replied that check-in wasn't until 4pm but I could arrange for them to drop off their luggage and go get lunch/sightsee until check-in time. No response. I sent another email a few days before their reservation asking them to confirm if they needed to drop off luggage before check-in. The guest responded saying they would be arriving about 4pm and asked for my address and phone number-- which I provided again.

The first woman arrived around 5pm and called me because her Uber driver was lost. I gave the Uber driver directions and then sent a text to this woman (not the one who made the reservation) with the best address to use for Uber. Cue an 11pm phone call from the woman that made the reservation screaming into my voicemail that she didn't know how to get to my house. I sent a text to this woman that I was in the desert with limited cell service but could be reached by text and included the address to use for Uber. I got a few more complaint texts throughout the week about Uber and kept responding with the address they should be using. The day of checkout, I received a text from one of the women saying she loved my home and thanking me for hosting her. I then received this lovely email from the woman that made the booking:

"Your cute condo was very clean and simply laid out as per your reputation. However, not what I expected at convention pricing!
- [ ] The biggest problem was that both Uber & Lyft had trouble finding the condo using the correct address* conservatively speaking 50% went to the wrong location and called us asking where we were. It did add to our stress level to get places timely.(*suggestion for that later.)
- [ ] Another issue was you had advertised “a tub”. However, even with your detailed instructions the overhead shower-head never turned completely off even though it was diverted to the spout. Plus the temperature setting was not hot enough for a hot bath.(“hot” can be a relative term). It was awkward bath with sprinkling showerhead... it was warmer!
- [ ] We had problems with the kitchen plugs. We brought a Bullet for morning shakes. We hit both the electric plugs and reset buttons for both kitchen plugs and never got Bullet to work. Brought Bullet home and it works fine.
- [ ] The biggest challenge the 3 of us dealt with was the Echo looking spy system you have set up without our knowledge. We all felt such an invasion of privacy-But hey it’s your home. Not a hotel where it is against the law to have such things. One lady felt someone was watching her. ( we never discovered cameras). Perhaps if you inform your guests in your House Rules, that may help people not feel so violated.
- [ ] Trying to find the extra blankets was like a treasure hunt. Perhaps mentioning extra blankets in House Rules.
- [ ] The foreign currency decor-looked nice but we didn’t have much room to put our things. Head of bed and the floor worked.
- [ ] * one Lyft driver recommended we use the address of a house that faced the street. Perhaps discussing on the House Rules page after they initially arrived . ( of course you would need to clear that with resident’s permission) the suggestion was [Address I provided in pre-arrival email and texts]. Though your proper address is: [My actual address].
- [ ] The “convention pricing” was what really made me feel I did not get a good value. "

18 Replies 18
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

LOL

"Convention Pricing" means you pay a lot for nothing.

They should be grateful they found any housing at all.

Exactly! I love that she acts like it's my fault that everything is more expensive during convention season. I honestly hope she shells out the $$$$ for a hotel next year and gets some perspective.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Hopey0 while @Alexandra316  response is brilliant, I personally would not be satisfied without either making a snarky comment or explaining myself. My husband always reminds me that the best way to speak to passive aggressive people is to say something cheerful and stupid. So in this case, I would be compelled to say something like: thank you so much for your great recommendation. I messaged the address to use for Uber3 times through Airbnb communication and directly to your phone six times. I would love your suggestion on the better way of communicating it to the guests going forward. 

On a serious note, there is a getting around or neighborhood section or something like that in the listing. You should mention there   To “please watch for future communication near the arrival time for Uber best practices”. I feel like when something is in the listing description, most guests shy away from openly complaining about it. Or at least they do once pointed to it. I also do find that there is a subset of complainers who read my description extremely thoroughly line by line to find a fault so I make sure everything is clear in the listing itself, even if later reiterated in direct communication. 

Lyz---Will0
Level 4
Prestatyn, United Kingdom

@Hopey0 I am so sorry to read you had such a PITA guest there, Ffs, suggesting you remotely turn on your water heater for 3 hours for her!! And why is she blaming you for taxi drivers not bring able to find your address? It's your address, it is what it is!! 

But the responses to your post from others in the community have been brilliant. Personally I'd chalk this experience up to the fact that there are all kinds of people out there and definitely leave her an honest review so at least you might be able to protect others 😉 best of luck for nicer guests in the future!