How to improve your photography?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How to improve your photography?

Photography

Hello everyone,

With modern technology and snazzy all-singing, all-dancing phones these days, it should make it easier than ever to take photos you can be proud of. However, I personally think it is not always as straightforward as you think and taking photos of your property can be tricky.

There can be lots of things to consider, the lighting, size of room and not forgetting what photos are key to show your house in the best and accurate light. There may also be a few things to avoid as well, for example do you really need five photos of the downstairs cupboard, however proud you are of the paint work? 🙂

Already here in the Community Center, I have spotted some fantastic tips on photography to mention just a couple, by @Julia66 in 'What tips would you give a new host?' and @Harry22 in his amazing thread 'Host Guide: 60 tips'. 

This is why I thought it would be great to create a dedicated discussion to share tips here. 

To kick-off, my tip would be to consider when in the day you take the photo. I personally think a room can often look more inviting during the day when the sun is shining, so I might avoid taking photos at night and prevent unnecessary shadows. 

I look forward to hearing your tips. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

15 Replies 15
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Thanks for the question @Lizzie! Great idea to give tips/tricks!

My number *one* tip for photos? No matter how gorgeous your dining room/bedroom/kitchen looks with light streaming in that window, taking a picture facing the light is asking for a dim, dark, washed out photo! Try this simple tip: almost all smartphone cameras can adjust lighting and exposure by tapping the screen in different places, reducing the amount of "sun/light flare" that can distort the photo. Simply tap around the screen until you find an exposure that works for your room. This is my living room (couches not yet fluffed...sorry). These photos are taken simply by tapping on the couch to alter light levels to that of the darkest item in the room, vs tapping on the window, altering light levels to that of the brightest thing in the room.

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0659.JPGWhich is better? That is your preference. Just know you have a choice when you take a picture. If you are gonna take your own photos, just realize there are a lot of different settings you have in your equipment. 

Also, don't using filters. "Sepia Tone" is great for those photos of your kids with their grandparents...but it doesn't look good on an AirBnB location. Show your location exactly as it is so travelers know what they're getting.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tip @Jann3. It certainly makes a huge amount of difference and it is really useful seeing the two versions next to one another. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie I think I posted this on another thread a while back, but am adding it here in case it is helpful.

-          Make use of the free Airbnb photography service if it’s available to you, but still make sure you prepare your place well before the photographer comes and that it is clean and tidy and looking its best.

-          Make sure your header image works in the cropped header format.

-          Only use in focus, high resolution photos, including any maps.

-          One of the most important aspects is lighting. In general, natural daylight is much more flattering. Pick a nice bright sunny day, open the curtains/blinds as wide as possible. Unless you have professional lighting equipment, minimize the use of artificial light, which can give photos a weird yellow tone, or flash photography, which can make them look stark and bleak.

-          If you have problem focusing using natural light use a tripod. If you haven’t got one, steadying the camera on a stable surface at the height you want works just as well.

-          If the view from the windows isn’t so attractive, shooting interiors on a bright, sunny day helps to ‘blow out’ the view, i.e. you won’t really see it. Don’t focus on the windows though as it can make the rest of the room look dark.

-          If, however, you have nice views, make sure you take images of them on a nice, bright, dry day, but remember shooting exteriors is very strong sunlight in the middle of the day can cast harsh shadows. Morning or late afternoon light is usually prettier. So, this goes for images you take of your neighbourhood as well. Don’t shoot your street on the day the bins are put out for collection!

-          Think about angles and composition, including where you crop the images. Try not to chop off bits of the main features you are showing.

-          Shoot straight on if possible, not from above. Or, sometimes you need to get low down, even on the floor, to get the best angle. Think about what is important to show in that image, e.g. do you need to show that much ceiling, or would it be better to lower the angle?

-          Step back as far as you can to get more of the room in shot, but if you are taking pictures of ‘details’ don’t have lots of unnecessary space around them.

-          Try to get your horizontal and vertical lines as straight as possible, e.g. the edge of the floor, sides of the doors, chimney breasts etc. It just looks neater, as does closing the door if you are taking an image from inside a room (unless there is something particularly lovely visible through that door).

-          You may want to photograph some of the conveniences you offer guests, e.g. washer/dryer, storage etc. but if these are not particularly photogenic, maybe include them in your description instead. If you really want to show these conveniences, first try to make them look as attractive as possible. E.g. if it’s the inside of wardrobe, invest in a set of matching wooden or fabric hangers.

-          If you have the budget, matching bedlinens look great. Pick plain, neutrals that go with your room, or if you want to use pattern, make sure they match each other AND the décor of the room. Plump up pillows/cushions, but tuck in duvet covers and blankets etc. neatly. Think about how a bed looks when you go to a hotel, or look up images of hotel bedlinen.

-          Declutter. Hide away cables, extension plugs etc. In the bathroom pics, put the toilet lid down and hide away as many toiletries and cleaning materials as possible. If you want to show that you provide toiletries, take a close-up pic of the nicest looking ones you have.

-          When photographing guest books or similar, make sure you shoot them straight on, against a plain, uncluttered background and that the comments are in focus.

-          Edit your selection of photos and make sure they are of a similar quality, including those of your neighbourhood/surroundings. Twenty photos are probably enough. Don’t use two or more shots that are almost the same, just pick the best one.

-          Make sure you include relevant and descriptive captions.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Lizzie For me ... is try to add some life to your picture. Some website says don't put peoples in your home photo because the potential guest has to imagine them self in your place. But I found Airbnb listing is better interesting if you add some people in a photo. It makes warm & more lively.

Sala1.jpg

E.g. This is my first photo to my listing but after we got the first guest I change to be this photo.

sala1A.jpg

So for me, My listing has a lot of pictures with my guests who had been stay with us.  

I am new to hosting and am just now getting my photos up. After looking I decided they were terrible and I need to delete and redo. How?

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Nicole-Covington0 Use laptop then going to your listing page https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/listings choose the listing you want to change click "Manage listing" -> click photo -> It will show all your photo on a top left of every photo is a bin symbol and click for delete. 

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

Definitely take your photos during the day. Dark windows are a little bit creepy. 

Take your photos with as much indirect, ambient, natural lighting as possible. If you must use a flash, make sure to use a filter (on the flash, not in instagram!) to set the white balance of the flash to match your ambient lighting. Also make sure you diffuse your flash well- use a piece of paper if necessary- to prevent any unnatural shadows. 

Anike0
Level 2
Ochtrup, Germany

I took my pictures with my IPad mini and I'm okay wih them. I know they're not the best but as soon as I have a guest staying st my place that takes pictures as a hobby and has a good camera,I will kindly ask if they can help me with professional pictures.

Emily272
Level 1
Cairns, Australia

My photos are high resolution and have a correct ration but when I upload them to Airbnb they become compressed and low quality. How would I fix this?

Thank you so much!

Emily.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

Another important aspect of photos - is chosing a great lead image.  When guests are searching - you want your image to draw them to your listing.  What does your choice of first photo communicate to your guests?  AND how does it stand up to the others in your area.  This is my town, the only filter selected is private room.  I've removed price and stars - because I want to know impression of listing photo only.  

Which image draws you in?  (And yes, my listing is one of them, lol.)

private room listing.jpg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Willow3, this is a tricky one for me to answer because most of these are exterior shots and I would be more interested to know what the interior looks like, because, although a great exterior can be appealing, most of the time you spend at the Airbnb will be inside, not standing outside looking at the frontage. A great garden or other outdoor seating/recreational area out back might draw me in as well though.

I don't disagree with you!  I previously had an exterior house shot, but found everyone and their cousin was parking in the wrong spot and going to the wrong door... based I assume on the photo.  

There is one listing in my town - I can't for the life of me figure out how they get bookings based on their lead image.  It makes me question if my own preferences are the exception, and not the rule!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Willow3 I suppose if the exterior is by far the nicest looking part of the listing, it would make sense to use that. Personally, I'm less interested in what the driveway looks like than the bedroom I will be staying in!

JC-Vacations0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

All my photos are currently taken on an iphone. I use an app called ColorStory to edit them afterwards and have had fantastic results!

Was thinking about getting a DSLR for even nicer photos though.