How to use Skype or other VOIP Numbers with AirBnB

Wesley58
Level 3
Albany, NY

How to use Skype or other VOIP Numbers with AirBnB

Guide to using ANY PHONE NUMBER with AirBnB

I've seen a lot of threads on these forums about people trying to use VOIP numbers with Airbnb and getting the error message "You'll need to use a different phone number, we can't support this one." For my AirBnB management business, I was able to set up a solution to this problem, by necessity. 

It's actually a pretty simple workaround, but it involves getting another phone line. 

1: Go to a retail cell service provider like Verizon, T-Mobile, or any other big-box standard cell service provider.
2: Purchase a standard phone service line. Only voice is necessary because AirBnB allows for verification by phone call.
3: Attach your new cell phone number to your AirBnB account.
4: Set up "Call Forwarding Unconditional" with the help of the retail store from which you purchased the phone. Make sure the call forwarding is being made to your VOIP phone.
--This is going to make sure the phone doesn't even ring. It'll automatically forward calls to your VOIP, Skype, or whatever other phone.
5: You're done! Just make sure this cell phone stays in a location where it will have strong cell service. 

International calling: If you're looking for this number to forward internationally, consider finding a big-box service that markets international rates. Unfortunately, this is a fairly pricy option for many people, but until AirBnB starts supporting VOIP phones, we're stuck with this system.

I Co-Host in New York and New Jersey (and trying to grow to other states)
***[To view listings, hover over profile image and click, 'View profile']
If you need AirBnB management services, message me directly

5 Replies 5
Jeff320
Level 2
Northfield, NJ

Good insight! What about text messages? I would rather guests dont text us but i imagine thar could become a problem. Also if you dont care about text messages why not just sign up for a land line and setup forwarding

Tess-and-Sylvain0
Level 1
Sainte-Marie-Saint-Raphaël, Canada

It is not acceptable !

Richard1887
Level 2
Rochester, NY

This is great for guests. What happens when the co-host needs to call AirBnb for a cancellation? This happens often enough to me. AirBnb Caller ID will identify that my co-host if calling from a different number. Is she allowed to do that? Will she be able to handle the p[hone calls to AirBnb on my behalf without calling AirBnb from the number on file? Anybody? Thanks.

Mike-And-Heidi2
Level 1
Florida, United States

Hi folks,

Has anyone confirmed this to work?

Mike
Joshua758
Level 1
North Carolina, United States

This hasn't worked for years up until apparently just recently.  I just tried and I'm now able to use a VoIP number as my Airbnb contact number.  I just asked a guest of mine and she said that the newly configured VoIP number is showing up in the Airbnb app as the host number.  Hallelujah!