I do not know if this is where to do to make suggestions. I apologize if it isn't.

Crystal5
Level 2
Chalmette, LA

I do not know if this is where to do to make suggestions. I apologize if it isn't.

When someone sends a request to book if I am not comfortable with the price I would like to be able to make them an offer with an explanation, even if it is for another listing, without having to reject their request, send a message of explanation and then send them a special offer. My reasoning for wanting to charge more or even less is due to a few things. 1. I didn't have a chance to change the price for an event OR Airbnb computer switched it back to the standard pricing, which does happen sometimes. 2. They request to stay 1 night. Unfortunately I prefer to charge a slightly higher rate for 1 night stays. You could add an option that allows a certain price to be set for 1 night stays. 3. The room isn't available but I forgot to block it but I have other options I would like to offer them. 

I would like to be able to set a minimum and a maximum requirement on how many days are required and allowed to stay. I am getting a ridiculous amount of requests for 1 night stays. If I had an actual hotel with maids it might not be too bad but many hotels require 2 night minimum anyways. 

I would like to be able to be given the option to charge tax, especially since many places are starting to request hosts to pay higher tax rates for vacation rentals. OR I would like to be sent an invoice immediately after a booking or stay that shows me how much $ I need to set aside for taxes. 

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Crystal5, No apologies needed!  Let's see if I can answer your questions one by one.

1. Changing the nightly stay after a guest has made a reservation request:  All hosts should have their calendars updated with the price they want to charge.  Matter of fact, in the near future when the new Terms of Service go into effect, it will be a violation of the T of S to ask for more money than what the calendar shows.  That said, there are some circumstances where a host may want to charge for a special service or fee (pet cleaning fee, for example).  In that case, if you and the guest are in agreement, tell the guest to cancel their request (only if you have not accepted the reservation) and then send you an inquiry.  When they send you an inquiry, you can then send them a Special Offer for the amount you wish to charge.  Or, if you and the guest decide that another listing would suit them better, again ask them to cancel their request and send an inquiry on the correct listing. 

Bottom line, though, it is your responsibility to keep your pricing and available dates updated on your calendar. 

2. Minimum and maximum night stay:  You can set this in your Availability Settings which can be located to the right of your calendar.  I have set a minimum of 2 nights and a maximum of 21.  There are other options in that section which you may find helpful. 

3. Charging for Taxes:  If Airbnb isn't automatically collecting taxes for you, you will have to do it yourself.  Airbnb doesn't collect for me either and, yes, it's a real pain. In reading the new Terms of Service, I noted a section called Opt In.  I believe Airbnb is working on a way for hosts to opt in for collecting taxes, but, alas, it's not here yet.  In the meantime, you should check with your local taxing agency to find out how much you need to collect and set it aside for remittance.  I have to pay 10% in Occupancy Tax and have to pay and remit on a monthly basis.  It's extra bookkeeping, for sure.  But I do keep track of it as I deduct these payments in my Federal Tax return. 

Hopefully this helps, if not ask more questions!

Kye0
Level 1
Sorrento, Australia

Hi Clare,
Do you know how to set a higher price for a 1 night stay?
I want to keep a one night minimum, but if this is selected, I want it to be a higher price.
e.g. Friday and Saturday should be $300 per night, so $600 for the weekend.
However, if someone wants to stay for just one of these nights, it should be $400 for the Friday or $400 for the Saturday night.
How can I do this?

Hi @Kye0, what you are asking for makes perfect sense to me, but alas, Airbnb only allows for 1 nightly rate regardless if the guest is staying 1 night or 2. 

Your options are to 1.) require a 2 night stay for weekends or 2.) increase your nightly rate for weekends, perhaps split the difference?. 

Personally, I would require a 2 night minimum for weekends since one nighters can block those that want to stay longer and pay more. 

Your idea is a good one, though, and I would recommend that you suggest it either in this Community Host Voice or in Feedback. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/idb-p/host-voice

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

By the way, if you want to make sure I get your message, just put @ in front of my name.  That way I'll know a message is directed to me!  🙂

@Crystal5   I think it's a great idea,  I would do one-night if I could charge more, it's just not cost-effective for me at the same nightly price as a 3 or more  nights.  You could add your suggestion in HOST VOICE  and then post it here to make people aware of it and vote for it if they agree.