ID's

Megan307
Level 3
Vincentia, Australia

ID's

I have recently taken bookings (instant book) from people  with people who don't have valid ID, despite all the appropriate pre-requisit being on in my listing.
Why does the platform not automatically request a valid ID for guests?    Also they allow them to book without a profile picture or in one case a picture which clearly wasn't the person - it was an elderly man not a young woman.  

If it is in their terms that a valid picture should be uploaded they should do that automatically instead of asking the hosts to request the guests to do so.

12 Replies 12
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Megan307 

yes, all hosts share your frustration and there are numerous posts about the lack of guest's verification. Unfortunately,  Airbnb doesn't care about the host's security, they just care about money so they will do whatever possible to make bookings as easy as possible to every guest no matter who he is. Their motto is: Belong everywhere. 

But, do you know that Airbnb verification means nothing to you? Guests can change their names and profile photo whenever they want and Airbnb will never give you their personal information even if the guest attacks you or steal from you. Airbnb will (maybe) give that information to the police.

The only way we can know who has a key to our property or our home is to verify our guests by ourselves at arrival. We do that routinely. Every member of the group has to show us his ID, including children and infants. This is mandatory in some countries but we would do it even if it isn't. People behave differently if you know who they are.

Thanks so much for that, it is quite alarming and I think in future, I will ask for ID also.

Appreciate your feedback.

yes @Megan307  do that for your own protection. Take a photo of their ID or just write down on the paper all informations: name and surname, nationality, passport/ID number, date of birth and gender. Make them sign it.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I recently hosted a female guest, who was pleasant enough, & we gave each other 5 star reviews across the board. (A social worker, (off duty) - so well police checked.) She told me she was turned away from an Airbnb in London, late at night, cos she had no ID.... She was incensed about this, clearly thought it was unacceptable to ask! (That's the British for you! ID is not mandatory here.)

Personally I support hosts requiring ID, tho' I don't yet do it myself, I'm just making the point that this lady thought it outrageous! - Maybe she thought being Airbnb registered was good enough...? Little does she know!

@Helen350  I bet it would be absolutely normal for her if she checked in a hotel and been asked to provide ID.

Two years ago when I wrote here on CC that host should ask their guests for ID, hosts were stunned, commented like it would "ruin the warm welcome feeling" and "guests would be ofended" etc... No, they are not offended, we do that for 3,5 years now and have it written in our house rules and nobody ever complained, that's totally normal.

I was a guest in Slovenia and Italy and they also asked us to give them our IDs.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This thread is further confirmation for me that I will never accept InstantBook. InstantBook is a great way to increase those problem guests.

I think if AirBnB don't come to the party with correctly vetting people, it is something I will also do.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Hosts are enticed to sacrifice proper vetting procedures in that if you as a host do not require ID or profile photo, you will be featured higher in the search rankings. However, paradoxically, if an unvetted guest is a 'bad actor' and scams / crimes happen on your property, you are likely to be abandoned by Airbnb and the guest may even receive a refund for their stay - even if they trash your property (you also will have trouble collecting on the Host Protection Guarantee). 

It is not acceptable that we as hosts should have to sacrifice proper vetting.  When people who join AirBnB the expectation should be that they are vetted, have a current photo (not one of their dog! yes friends have experienced this), and appropriate ID.  We must keep lobbying AirBnb to ensure this happens.

@Megan307  If they didn't do this after the Orinda murders (and the many other crimes that have been committed by guests while residing in Airbnb properties), including after this much-publicized '10 Day Sprint', I don't see them ever doing it. They want as many guests signed up as possible before the IPO. "Money makes the world go 'round..." and all that. Not ensuring host and guest safety - despite what anyone at Corporate says. Maybe that's why the COO suddenly stepped down last week? Very unusual for something like this to happen prior to an IPO.

Mary703
Level 6
San Jose, CA

I just received an Instant Book from a guest that only has the initials "AC". I have turned Instant Book on and off, and didn't realize when I turned it on I didn't check that they must have previous reviews. Now I have a guest showing up with no picture, no name, no profile, and did not respond to my welcome message, nor any reviews. As a single female I am starting to think I will go back to having a full time roommate. This is the third time this month that I have had to contact Airbnb to say I am not comfortable with a guest!

I think that as AirBnB are taking a fee for service that the least we can expect as hosts is for them to ensure that there is proper ID checks.  Mostly the people who use AirBnB are fantastic, however, in good faith, I have an ID check, photo etc., at least people know what to expect when they arrive and it is the same in reverse.  I intend to continue to lobby that this is the least we can expect from AirBnB.