Include informational stars on out of host control (location) that do not affect superhost status

Maya63
Level 6
Olivebridge, NY

Include informational stars on out of host control (location) that do not affect superhost status

I am not concerned about a star system that holds hosts responsible for those things hosts can do something about.

I am concerned about including items that a host has no control over, such as the location or how difficult it is for a particular guest to find a place in the middle of the night on a country road in the boonies. A guest may give a stunningly set home with mountain views near wonderful local hiking a 3 star rating on location for being hard to find, or being farther away from something than they thought.

I think they should have "informational ratings" that do not affect the hosts superhost status, as things that are not in our control, ratings that give guests information that may help them in their choices. That way guests know specifics about the listing that are important in decision making and do not affect a hosts status as a superhost.

Also if a host discloses any issues, they should not be penalized for a guest not being willing to read the listing thoroughly.

I know Airbnb can do it.

19 Replies 19
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Maya I just posted this on another thread:

Argh!!!! Just got dinged on location again. I am now at 4.7* for location. I state I am rural give the timeframe to everywhere, yet I still get dinged. Here's her review which over all was 5*:

Spectacular service and amenities. Top notch on the fully stocked kitchen which was great for us because we cooked 2 meals in the house every day. I would definitely recommend staying here!

If she frinking recommends staying here why the hit on location???

Thank you for posting on this thread. Hearing other's experiences is the best medicine for the ups and downs of hosting. I don't feel alone.

You obviously offer sooo much to your guests. What a great host you are! That is plain frustrating! I don't get why people do that.

Maya, I agree with you 100%.  I also live in a rural area and I have a 4.7* for location.  All my guests so far have given me a 5* rating on service and amenities.  I believe Airbnb should reconsider there rating system.

Trish16
Level 2
Zikhron Ya'akov, Israel

Maya well said!   I always answer my guests immediately but I have had guests who experienced problems with Whatsapp and dinged me to 4 on communication.  They could have continued using email service but chose not to.   Very frustrating.

Hi Trish. I’ve refused to use Whatsapp as it just gets too messy with adding another dimension into the documenting of our communication. I have had group Messenger conversations from individuals coming together, from different locations internationally. But I have stated I am happy to communicate via this method, but all major queries and information will be duplicated into the Airbnb messages site. They have been happy for this, and cut and pasting is very easy.

this shows you are communicating to Airbnb if there is an issue in the review. 

🙂

Cathie

Dallas9
Level 3
Murphy, NC

agreed.  i got dinged because they couldn't find my house on gps.  hello?  i said in the description not to rely on gps and follow my step by step directions as my place is about as far back in the mountains as you can get in eastern U.S.   and I say that in my listing.  so how is it my fault you didn't believe my listing?  others comments that, yes indeed, its waaaay back in the wild, just like the listing says!  and theyloved it.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Location ratings are always going to be a problem.

I recently got rated 3 on Communication (almost always get 5 usually) because the guests did not see me after check in. That is because they were not here! In fact, I was here, but they were out the whole time. How was I supposed to see them when they weren't around? I had other guests staying at the same time in another room who I saw several times a day.

Of course I had asked the guests to let me know if there was anything else they needed and they didn't. In fact, they were not complaining that I was not available to them, just that they didn't SEE me, which is hardly surprising given that my house is in London and they spent most of their stay visiting other towns...

What can you do?

Thank you so much for posting on this thread. As a new person on the community board, it is a relief to hear other voices. It is also a relief to know there are thoughtful, hard working people who are out there writing and listening. Whew!

If Airbnb educated its users on what stars mean and the effect of them could it help with random hits from otherwise well meaning people? I don't think people want to cause us trouble, and still they do. I wish Airbnb would address the issue of stars for "location", and maybe break it down into a few separate parts, as it is is is not as helpful to guests as it could be since it is a mish mosh of things.

Maya63
Level 6
Olivebridge, NY

I now understand that superhost status is not affected by anything other than the overall rating. So my complaint is half accurate. 

Having something like "location" which is a mish mosh of concepts about location including, getting there, noise levels, scenery, closeness to the guest's reason for booking, and other things, it may be misleading to guests and can be a problem for hosts so I wish Airbnb would adjust it to improve communication.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Maya63,

I agree with your “out of control/ out of the hands” of the host. Full and honest disclosure shouldn’t be penalised through the star system. Not to mention the unrealistic star system! 

I posted this comment in the host selection criteria for Super hosts.

“Where we have control, or can take action, as hosts, sure, measure our abilities.

2.  If a guest especially new  to Airbnb, doesn’t understand the reason for reviews, or doesn’t review, this shouldn’t impact on the host, as we do not have control over this....

3.  Why should a host suffer a poor star review if  we have been honest and true with the location of the Airbnb space, but the guest doesn’t read the very detailed homespace information and even a personal recommendation to “not book our space if you want the buzz and noise of the city, as we are in the suburbs”....  once again, accuracy and truthful disclosure  should matter. Once again, out of the hosts control....

4.  Some individuals, including guests, refuse to give a 100% for any result or review. 5/5 stars just doesn’t measure in their “yardstick”, and therefore definitely doesn’t marry with the Airbnb requirements for a super host.

Once again, out of our control........”

The star review for location should be removed, as it can be vindictive, always subjective and not able to be improved on by the host.

It could be replaced with accuracy of listing photos and disclosure of details... or even unexpected constructions nearby. THAT we can control!

[@ mention added]

Lucy332
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I completely agree with this. I am a relatively new host to air bnb. We made sure our place was beautifully styled, spotless, attention to detail attentive etc and received a 5 stars for all our initial reviews.

Then we started to receive 3/4 stars for location. We don't live in an amazing part of London. We are  honest in the description about the neighborhood and guests can see the location and make up their own mind if it is too far or near to where they need to be.

One complained that it wasn't 10 minutes walk to the Olympic park when we had never said that it was! We said it was walking distance (which is about 25 minutes) and 10 minutes to the train stop, they just didn't read the review properly (and we were very generous in our review of them even though they were quite rude and had poor communication).

More recently a guy (who wasn't a tourist but on a long term booking while he looked for a place to love) put in his public review that he wouldn't recommend the place to tourists, even though he said the room was perfect, our appartment lovely and that we were great hosts! We'd actually had a lot of tourists give us five stars. A comment like that may kill our bookings.

Anyway now we have slipped to 4.7 based on location scoring. There is nothing we can do about it, unless someone wants to give me 300k to move to a new hood??!

I think we should be measured against the accuracy of our description. We promise a quiet street, green space and multiple transport links. We don't say we are trendy or central and shouldn't be marked down by someone in possession of the full information. We are also a lot cheaper than if we were in a better location so guests should recognise the tradeoff.

Ultimately I feel Air Bnb should let guests comment on the location (is it easy to get around? Does it feel safe? Did they particularly love the neighbourhood) but NOT let guests mark down on this as it in no way reflects the quality of the home or the hosting and, unless its a tent or a caravan, can not be changed.

Airbnb mentions improving this in the latest q&a and i am curious to see what they do. This is my number one frustration (over than instant book/ cancellation penalties).

Tess24
Level 2
Shoalhaven Heads, Australia

I agree that that a low star rating for location can be SO frustrating when details such as distance to the  beach, shops,  local attractions and amenities are all clearly stated. 

I always ask on booking that guests confirm that they have carefully read the listing but clearly they do not.

Dear hosts,  just be grateful that there is  not a star rating for the weather!

After getting dinged again this week with a 4* on location  and a private complaint/comment that they could not find the play area listed I change my check in message the other day to my incoming guests tomorrow:

Good afternoon XXXX,

The entry code for the front door will be set to XXXX for your visit and the security alarm code is XXXX. There is a safe in the master bedroom available for your use. How to set the code will be on top of it, if needed. Also we are the only drive way that is lit up at night with path lights. After you enter take a left hand turn and go straight down until you reach the Guest House. We will leave the gate open for you at the entrance to the property.

If you have any issues at all finding us, please call and we will guide you to the Guest House. A few people have had a problem. Also if your children want to use it the playset/swingset is located behind the Wedding Venue which is on the property. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Letti
Live Oak Vineyard

Marta453
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

Hi!  This is an issue for me too and I wanted to share something to try that my friend who is an airbnb superhost too came up with.  For me - it's how "far" stuff is.... we live in the desert and it is rural ( about 30 - 45min to everywhere ) - it is plastered all over my description and they can see the map..... so she recommended a "custom question" when booking - under Guest Requirements - Guest Trip information ..... mine reads "We are 45 minutes to downtown Scottsdale - are you looking for a remote of getaway?" This hasn't been tested yet - but at least it will make guests think twice about where they are booking.  

Just a thought...