Infants as guests

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Infants as guests

When a guest begins reservation, Airbnb prominently announces that ” Infants don’t count toward the number of guests” right next to my maximum head count. However, my maximum head count is calculated based on the short term rental ordinance. Chicago considers an infant to be a person (probably first logical decision by Chicago politicians in a while). Per Chicago ordinance I cannot have more than X number of people regardless of their size. I do not charge per person, this is not about sneaking in extra humans for free. I just want to keep my license. I also want my guests to be safe. Today I got a reservation for my maximum headcount plus several infants. How can it be safe to stuff that many people in a house? I do not understand why infants should not be included in the headcount. A one year old needs a bed, can make just as big of a mess and uses resources such as water, towels etc. Also, who is an infant anyway? There is really not an official definition. On line it says usually up to 1 years of age but may be two. Usually when they start walking they become a toddler. Should I stop by at ID check and ask the babies to walk as proof?

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Given the volume of your business, I find it odd that you just encountered this issue.  Just because Air BNB has an automatice message, doesn't mean it applies world wide.  So you need to be sure your rules reflect what your business must adhere to not what Air BNB dictates.  Once it is in your rules, if a guest declares babies outside the allowed number of guests, you call Air BNB to cancel the booking.  No penalty.  If this is a frequent issue, add a line in your description.

@Linda108 I rarely get bookings up to my allowed maximum. I state this twice- once in the description and second time in house rules. I use word unlawful in all caps. I can not see how I can make it any more clear. It is primarily there to combat parties. I never thought a family would want to be in a refugee camp conditions during a vacation. Of course I can call and cancel but that's work for me and frustration to the guest. Nothing to gain for Airbnb either- I would take phone time from CS and they would have an unhappy guest.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Local ordinance will always overrule Airbnb's rules no matter where you may live.

In Egypt it is illegal to host an unwed couple. Airbnb are more than happy to accept a reservation regardless of relationship status, and in fact, in their TOS they would consider a refusal to let to and unwed couple as hosting discrimination.

But local laws come first,  just show that part of your local ordinance to Airbnb and they will cancel the reservation without fault to you.

It works both ways Inna, with almost any other form of activity, children are treated as a discount tariff. Many guests are annoyed that Airbnb regard children between the age of 2 and 12 as adults as far as reservation cost is concerned. In any case our arguments are valid, it costs the same to host a child as it does an adult but lots of guests don't see it that way, and we are fortunate that Airbnb do side with us on that one!

But Inna, the mechanism is there for you to abide by your cities ruling, and I would bet CX have had this issue crop up many times with Chicago hosts and Airbnb are well aware of how to handle it!

Hope you had a great Christmas and I really hope this new year will be a great one for you!

Cheers......Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  I don't find your wording about this to be at all prominent. I think you need to put it into your listing description, maybe even as the first thing- NOTE: All guests, including infants and children MUST be included in the guest count when you book. There is no extra charge for infants, but the maximum guest limit in the house includes ALL people, regardless of age. This is per Chicago short term rental ordinance and must be complied with.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 All of the above.

Thank you for making me chuckle at the comment 

«...ask the babies to walk as proof? »

Good luck to you and happy holidays 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 I'd first put this back on the guest rather than wasting the time myself to deal with the cancellation...

"I'm sorry, you must not have noticed that we have a strict occupancy limit that you've exceeded for this stay. In order to receive a refund you must contact CS to cancel as quickly as possible. I'd hate for you to get stuck paying for a reservation that you will not be able to utilize. All the best for your trip!"

the bummer there is that your calendar is blocked until they do it, but the upside is that you aren't on the phone with CS

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Inna22 we have to count every human as a guest per our insurance.  We have had several people ask how to count their babies an you g children and always answer that our insurance requirements state that we have an accurate account of all human overnight occupants. Also the fire code requires that you have an accurate count too (at least in our area.) I think local and individual host needs supercede Airbnb's take on this. 

@Laura2592 I totally agree that overcrowding is a hazard if anything happens.