Infants not charged?

Luigi27
Level 8
Malaysia

Infants not charged?

I just realized that infants are not charged with extra guest fees!

Since when Airbnb changed this? And why? Airbnb did not ask me anything about this change! 

I wont accept infants if they don't pay the extra guest fee. This is for sure!

Infants, no matter what, also go to the toilet and use more water and more electricity for the air conditioning. 

How can I charge infants an extra guest fee?

50 Replies 50
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

You cannot charge for infants - they go for free in the airbnb booking system and it changed some time ago.

Change your settings to no infants and you should not get bookings from families with infants provided their reservation entry is correct.  Your current listing setting says faminly/kid friendly - you may have to change that.

I always charged for infants. Family friendly doesn't mean free of charge! We are not a charity here.

I will charge for infants no matter what!  Airbnb just sent me an email officially stating that I am allowed to charge for infants .

This infants stuff changed on my website actually today not sometimes ago as you are saying! 

@Luigi27

Please give us some credit.  Changes are rolled out to different areas at different times.  In my area these changes came some weeks ago.  With Instant Book on - you would have to cancel bookings including infants to withold your policy. Or charge in addition after the booking is made - a charge request the guests are likely to decline.

Instructions from Airbnb are different from what you are peremptorily  stating. I will follow Airbnb as usual! 

@Luigi27

I am just pointing out some practical issues - and believe me, sometimes airbnb give the wrong advise.  I would also ask them how to make these charges valid and accepted.

Believe me I received payments from guests that everyone thought impossible! You have to be smart and run an honest business model. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Luigi27

This has started coming into effect in many countries for several months now in fact.

If you want to charge for infants, you'll have to state it in your house rules/description and enforce it.

I just discovered infants are FREE?    No!    I have to pay a $8 for diapers in trash.  They make more mess than others.  I provide a crib.  They cost me more time & money?   Since when are they free?

I agree 100%!! I am part of the family collection because we cater well to babies and young children, we provide toys, crib, baby bath, high chair, beach toys. I have done this since 2015 when infants used to pay like everyone else.

The no charge for infants under 2 is not good for me because as you say they are so messy and families with infants under 2 often leave the apartment messier than any other guests! I am NOT happy about this,  AIRBNB needs to change it! My cleaning fee is the same as for all other guests. When infants were paying guests, the extra time cleaning/broken items were covered by their paying rate.. now I am left in the lurch. It's not fair that I should be adding a separate fee  with this model for infants under 2 in the description! This would make families feel discriminated against and that's not fair on me as a host or them as a guest!

FYI but family collection no longer exists. 

Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

@Luigi27 the free is only applicable to infant below 2 years old. 

Under 2 years old but for an UNLIMITED # of infants???

WHY is AirBnB changing to a BABY DAYCARE SERVICE???

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I agree with you, although an infant under 2 would share the room/bed with his/her parents and result in very minimal extra costs for air conditioning or water. 

I'd just raise prices a bit and stop worrying about it.

@Luigi27

Now your settings work in your favour.  When I enter infants I may not instant book - I would have to send a request.  You can then send a special offer that includes your extra person charge.